Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619063 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619063 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: V02-17 [#permalink]
rajgpln2 wrote:
While option B talks about robberies in South Parking Lot, how about A? It states it will be busy all of the mall's parking lots? Also, B mentions last year that made me choose A over B?
Thoughts?

Reports of robbery in the mall were also reported last year. This option ,.i.e. option B talks about crime in south parking lot last year and is hence correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
Send PM
If most of the officers will be patrolling the North (since it sees the most traffic) but if in reality, most of the robberies happen in the south, then the plan is flawed and can be criticised.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Send PM
Quote:
Almost all the officers will be patrolling the mall's north parking lot, which sees the most traffic from shoppers.

I understood from this sentence that being at north parking lot , will offer an advantage of seeing most traffic from shoppers through the whole mall , whether the traffic is from north of south , so i'm not convinced with B .
I see D as a better option , if there are cameras , there is no need for more officers to patrol traffic .
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,
Option B states about reports published LAST YEAR, this does not assure us that the same will be the case in present scenario.
I marked option E ,instead, because there are different parking lots in multiple areas of entry and exit and patrolling is done only on the north side hence this plan is likely to fail as robbers can come and leave from any direction.
Kindly clear this doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
shantanushantanu wrote:
Hello,
Option B states about reports published LAST YEAR, this does not assure us that the same will be the case in present scenario.
I marked option E ,instead, because there are different parking lots in multiple areas of entry and exit and patrolling is done only on the north side hence this plan is likely to fail as robbers can come and leave from any direction.
Kindly clear this doubt.

I had the same exact thought process. I chose E over Option B.

I don't think B would be correct on the actual test. The test makers time and time again take advantage of lapses in logic, the low hanging fruit so to speak, from those test takers who assume on CR questions that what happened in the past will happen in the future or what is true for X is also true for Y without being clearly stated. Making these unstated assumptions is what will help you score poorly on the Verbal section, but here, we were required to assume such to get the question correct. I normally don't post about the low-quality questions, but I believe this one is low-quality
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
I marked E as the answer to this ques. While i understand how B can weaken the flaw in the plan w.r.t assigning security officials in the North lot, IMO how i understood the ques was:
Why adding ADDITIONAL Security officers wouldn’t help to deter crime?
Hence, E states that even if we add lets say 10 more officers, if they’re unable to tackle the criminals due to multiple entry/exits, then the crime rate will not fall.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts