Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619224 [12]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 855 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619224 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re V03-16, V03-17, V03-18, V03-19 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Show SpoilerQuestion V03-16 explanation
To answer a question about logical structure, consider the role the section plays in the passage as a whole. The first paragraph introduces a historical development, beginning with the idea that methods of communication among the deaf were not always considered authentic language. According to the passage, however, accepted wisdom changed: once communication among the deaf was accepted as language, systems of signs were standardized and disseminated. The history of American Sign Language is a historical example of this shift in thought.
  1. The passage is not meant to entertain.
  2. The passage does not discuss, much less advocate, flexibility in the development of sign languages.
  3. Two perspectives are not compared.
  4. The section on American Sign Language provides a historical example of the pattern of sign language development discussed in the passage.
  5. Though individuals from various nations cooperated in the development of American Sign Language, the focus was not on the nations themselves.
Show SpoilerQuestion V03-17 explanation
An inference is drawn from information stated in the passage. To answer this question, review what the passage says about French Sign Language and the ways it came to form the base of American Sign Language. French Sign Language appeared at the school contained in the knowledge of Laurent Clerc, who, like his students, was deaf. According to the passage, Clerc used French Sign Language to communicate. Based on this information, it is reasonable to infer that Clerc based American Sign Language on French Sign Language because it was the system of signs with which he was most familiar.
  1. The passage does not discuss whether students at the school could read and write French.
  2. Although French Sign Language was used by educators in France, the passage does not discuss whether or not they considered it to be flawless.
  3. The passage implies that Clerc based American Sign Language on French Sign Language simply because that is the system of signs with which he was most familiar.
  4. The expressiveness of French Sign Language and “home sign” is not compared in the passage.
  5. British Sign Language is not mentioned in the passage.
Show SpoilerQuestion V03-18 explanation
This question references specific lines, indicating the question can be answered by reviewing information in that section of the passage. The lines are contained in a sentence contrasting two ways conventional wisdom understood methods of communication used by the deaf; the phrase a more generous view makes it clear that the author prefers the second. The following sentence further clarifies the author’s position, as it becomes apparent that the author is concerned with establishing sign languages as valid, though non-oral, systems of language.
  1. This is the opposite of the author’s position in the passage.
  2. The word generous is misconstrued in this option to mean giving money rather than having understanding.
  3. Sign language as a physical method of expressing...spoken language is not discussed in the passage. In fact, the author argues that sign language is quite distinct from spoken language.
  4. This option correctly identifies the author’s overall concern in the passage: to establish sign languages as valid language systems, even though they are distinct from spoken language.
  5. Galloudet and Clerc’s position on this opinion is not discussed in the passage.
Show SpoilerQuestion V03-19 explanation
The question’s use of the phrase would most likely agree indicates that the answer depends on making an inference. To answer the question, look for support for each answer choice in the passage. These lines state that French Sign Language and Home Sign were a mixture that had reached equilibrium before American Sign Language could be taught in other institutions. It is reasonable to assume, then, that the author would view both French Sign Language and Home Sign as important components of American Sign Language.
  1. Gallaudet is mentioned only as a founder of the school; the passage does not speculate about his ability to found a school without assistance.
  2. Correct. These lines discuss French Sign Language and Home Sign as components of a mixture that eventually reached equilibrium, suggesting that the author sees the two traditions as equally important contributors to American Sign Language.
  3. The passage does not compare the usefulness or flexibility of French and American Sign Language.
  4. No evidence is provided to support the assertion that the development of standardized sign languages was inevitable.
  5. The potential of Martha’s Vineyard residents to form as standardized sign language is not mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.65
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re V03-16 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. This passage has a section in bold when the question does not refer to bold lines.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: V03-16, V03-17, V03-18, V03-19 [#permalink]
How does a more generous view imply that the author agrees with it more? It simply means that the view is more liberal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
GMATCoachBen wrote:
darthvad3r wrote:
I don't think this passage suggests that Home signing and French signing were equally important. It was maybe 70-30 (French-Home). Clerc based the whole thing on French signing. Sure the passage says that it took several years to reach equilibrium between the local Home signing and Clerc's French signing, but that isn't the same thing as being equally important.

darthvad3r Good attention to detail. Kudos! Comparisons that aren't fully justified from the passage are a common "Extreme" trap on official questions.

I had the same doubt.
So... is this question "broken"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
But in the last paragraph...the passage says "...the mixture of French Sign Language with Home Sign had reached equilibrium and was taught in other institutions...". I think the word equilibrium does suggest that became equally important. That is how I answered the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V41
Send PM
Re V03-19 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. equilibrium and being equally important aren't the same thing. Equilibrium doesn't have to be in the middle--its just in a stasis
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts