Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619231 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619231 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Re: V04-25 [#permalink]
The answer choice E completely changes the intended meaning of the choice....

but she also holds a record for the most singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9

The choice does not mention the word "women's"...
Original intend is to mention that Martina holds record for the most women's singles titles. Whereas this option mentions just 'singles title'.

Also, I think the word 'she' must be excluded form all options.

Answer choice E is skewing the meaning. How can it be correct. Please explain..THanks...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
I agree wit Vinraj.

E changes the meaning of the sentence. Now, I assume this was a typo or careless omission, however, while taking the exam, I assumed this 'change in meaning' was the trick. Unfortunately, getting this 500 level question wrong really skewed my verbal score on that exam :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
E does not have "women". Is not this traditionally an incorrect answer? Meaning is very important to GMAT, how can this one be an exception? I liked E but chose D only because of "women" in D.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
dina98 wrote:
E does not have "women". Is not this traditionally an incorrect answer? Meaning is very important to GMAT, how can this one be an exception? I liked E but chose D only because of "women" in D.

Thank you for pointing out ....corrected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMATClub test also has this error. Please correct the answer choice over there as well.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
dina98 wrote:
GMATClub test also has this error. Please correct the answer choice over there as well.

Yes, updated in the test section as well. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
The correct idiom is "not only but also ", which is not the same as "not only, but also". If a comma is inserted in between, the part after the comma acts as a new clause and requires a subject (Similar to sentences where normal "but" is used ). Ex: They were hungry, but they had to leave.
Please correct my understanding about the usage of the comma here.
Shouldn't it be:
Czech-born American tennis player Martina Navratilova not only reached the Wimbledon singles finals an impressive 12 times but also holds a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Messer wrote:
The correct idiom is "not only but also ", which is not the same as "not only, but also". If a comma is inserted in between, the part after the comma acts as a new clause and requires a subject (Similar to sentences where normal "but" is used ). Ex: They were hungry, but they had to leave.
Please correct my understanding about the usage of the comma here.
Shouldn't it be:
Czech-born American tennis player Martina Navratilova not only reached the Wimbledon singles finals an impressive 12 times but also holds a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9.

Your point is very well thought. In general "not only.. but also.." construction does not take a comma, but it is acceptable to use a comma when an emphasis is intended.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 696
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
sayantanc2k thank you for your explanation above (: May I confirm that it is indeed okay to not have a subject 'she' in the clause after the comma is placed?

i.e. (quote) "... ...12 times, but (she) also holds a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon." (having placed a comma before the conjunction 'but', yet no subject is included in the latter clause while still complying with the idiom "not only... , but also...")

We're taught to observe the SVA rule given 2 independent clauses separated by a comma + conjunction, though in this case it is slightly less common.

-->May I confirm that the above clause (without a subject quoted) is still grammatically acceptable on the GMAT (just not as common)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
I am not understanding why is E correct. I had chosen C.Pls help

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Czech-born American tennis player Martina Navratilova not only reached the Wimbledon singles finals an impressive 12 times, holding a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9.

A. holding a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9
B. holding a record of 9, the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon
C. but she also holds a record of 9, the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon
D. but she also, having won 9 women’s singles titles, holds a record at Wimbledon
E. but also holds a record for the most women’s singles titles won at Wimbledon: 9

The idiom being tested in this sentence is the construction not only...but also. The not only reached in the first part of the sentence requires a parallel but also + past tense verb in the second part. The original sentence’s failure to use this construction correctly has also resulted in an incomplete sentence.
  1. This option does not correctly use the idiom not only...but also, and the word holding at the beginning of the clause makes the sentence incomplete.
  2. Holding at the beginning of the clause forms an incomplete sentence because it does not correctly use the idiom not only...but also. Additionally, this option is wordy.
  3. The phrase she also holds a record of 9 does not make sense.
  4. This option correctly uses not only...but also, but it is unnecessarily wordy.
  5. The idiom not only...but also is correctly used here, and the verb phrase she also holds forms a complete sentence.

Answer: E
DI Forum Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 639 [0]
Given Kudos: 1003
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re V04-25 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V04-25 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts