Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619192 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Were more new sports cars or new sedans purchased in Wichita during th [#permalink]
rye see, we don't actually have to solve this

we know A and B are eliminated, since A lacks information about Sports car and B lacks information about sedan.
Same with D, because A and B alone are not sufficient.

We are left with only 2 options C and E.
and as stated above its given that only 1/3 of Winchita population purchased sedan during 1985 to 1995. what if there were travelers in Winchita too? we have to determine the total no. of cars purchased in Winchita!
what if they shipped from there? there can be N reasons why a car can be purchased but we are only given the constraint of Winchita population. Which is not sufficient to determine the total no. of cars purchased in Winchita. we need a particular value to determine the purchased number of cars in Winchita.
Had it been A) 120 sedan is purchased in winchita and B) 100 Sports car were purchased in Winchita
then we would had choose option C. but since there is no particular we can't choose C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Were more new sports cars or new sedans purchased in Wichita during th [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Were more new sports cars or new sedans purchased in Wichita during the years 1985 through 1995?

(1) In the years 1985 through 1995, one fourth of the population of Wichita purchased new sedans.
(2) In the years 1985 through 1995, one third of the population of Wichita purchased new sports cars.

target were new sports cars purchased > new sedans purchased

In the years 1985 through 1995, one fourth of the population of Wichita purchased new sedans.
no info about new sports cars , how many were purchased ? and it can be possible that same people who bought new sedans also bough sports car
insufficient
In the years 1985 through 1995, one third of the population of Wichita purchased new sports cars
again
no info about Sedans , how many were purchased ? and it can be possible that same people who bought bought sports car might have also bought sedans
insufficient
from 1 &2
we cannot conclusively determine whether new sports cars purchased > new sedans purchased
because :
1 . there is no info about population size
2. there can be possibility that same set of people might have purchased both cars as well
insufficient together
OPTION E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I may be wrong but I have different view for this problem.

So what the question stem is asking. Question stem wants to know which type of car purchased in Winchita is greater in number.

Now going ahead with st-1: (1) In the years 1985 through 1995, one fourth of the population of Wichita purchased new sedans.
1/4th of the population of winchita = Number of sedan cars.
At this point I don't know the number of sports cars.

St-2: (2) In the years 1985 through 1995, one third of the population of Wichita purchased new sports cars.
1/3rd of the population of winchita = Number of sports cars.
In this case I don't know the number of sedan cars.

Now club St1+St2
Two things are common in both statement.
1. Time frame.
2. The population of Winchita.

Considering this it is very clear that
1/4th of the population of Winchita < 1/3rd of the population of Winchita

Now go back again at Question stem. It wants the comparison of number of cars, not that of the number of population who purchased those cars.
Therefore, I chose C.

Please let me know if my understanding is deviating from correct.

yashikaaggarwal wrote:

we know A and B are eliminated, since A lacks information about Sports car and B lacks information about sedan.

and as stated above its given that only 1/3 of Winchita population purchased sedan during 1985 to 1995. what if there were travelers in Winchita too? we have to determine the total no. of cars purchased in Winchita!
what if they shipped from there? there can be N reasons why a car can be purchased but we are only given the constraint of Winchita population. Which is not sufficient to determine the total no. of cars purchased in Winchita. we need a particular value to determine the purchased number of cars in Winchita.
Had it been A) 120 sedan is purchased in winchita and B) 100 Sports car were purchased in Winchita
then we would had choose option C. but since there is no particular we can't choose C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
gvij2017 you have not considered below case:

where there can be possibility that same set of people might have purchased both cars as well
insufficient together
moreover our target is to determine total cars i.e sports+ sedan ...

gvij2017 wrote:
I may be wrong but I have different view for this problem.

So what the question stem is asking. Question stem wants to know which type of car purchased in Winchita is greater in number.

Now going ahead with st-1: (1) In the years 1985 through 1995, one fourth of the population of Wichita purchased new sedans.
1/4th of the population of winchita = Number of sedan cars.
At this point I don't know the number of sports cars.

St-2: (2) In the years 1985 through 1995, one third of the population of Wichita purchased new sports cars.
1/3rd of the population of winchita = Number of sports cars.
In this case I don't know the number of sedan cars.

Now club St1+St2
Two things are common in both statement.
1. Time frame.
2. The population of Winchita.

Considering this it is very clear that
1/4th of the population of Winchita < 1/3rd of the population of Winchita

Now go back again at Question stem. It wants the comparison of number of cars, not that of the number of population who purchased those cars.
Therefore, I chose C.

Please let me know if my understanding is deviating from correct.

yashikaaggarwal wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts