GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49231
What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 02:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (00:30) correct 22% (00:56) wrong based on 46 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circle lies on the small circle, as shown?

(1) The diameter of the smaller circle is 5.
(2) The circumference of the larger circle is 10 π.

Attachment:
image003.gif
image003.gif [ 834 Bytes | Viewed 463 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 186
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 02:36
From 1:

Diameter of the smaller circle becomes the radius of the larger circle.

We can determine the area of the shaded region.
Area of larger circle-Area of smaller circle.
Sufficient.

From 2:

Circumference = 2*pi*r = 10Pi.
r = 5 of bigger circle.
Which is the diameter of the smaller circle.
Sufficient.

D is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Oct 2017
Posts: 273
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:04
Bunuel wrote:
Image
What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circle lies on the small circle, as shown?

(1) The diameter of the smaller circle is 5.
(2) The circumference of the larger circle is 10 π.

Attachment:
image003.gif
To know the shaded area, we need to know the radius of any one circle.

Both statements give that info individually.

Answer is D

Thank you = Kudos
_________________

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:39
1. Radius of smaller circle = 2.5
Radius of larger circle = 5

Area of shaded region = Area of larger circle - Area of smaller circle


2. 2* pie * radius = 10 pie
Radius of larger circle = 5
Radius of smaller circle = 2.5

Area of shaded region = Area of larger circle - Area of smaller circle


Answer : D

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 88
Location: Pakistan
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 05:52
Bunuel wrote:
Image
What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circle lies on the small circle, as shown?

(1) The diameter of the smaller circle is 5.
(2) The circumference of the larger circle is 10 π.

Attachment:
image003.gif


Area of shaded region = area of big circle - area of small circle

The diameter of the small circle is half that of the bigger one.

(1) Diameter of small circle is 5 > area of both circles can be calculated [SUFFICIENT]

(2) Circumference of the larger circle is is 10 π > Radii of both circles can be calculated and then areas too [SUFFICIENT]

Answer is D
_________________

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 59
What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:19
Hi @bunuel,trust you are fine. Could you please help me clarify when exactly to trust the diagram on a DS question. In this particular question, I only assumed that the centre of the larger circle lies on the smaller circles in the figure and I deduced 2 different scenarios.
1st, where the figure is as in the given question and 2nd, One where the other end of the smaller circle doesn't not touch the arc of the larger circle. Pls help me, I'm quite confused here.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

1535617001347818068936.jpg
1535617001347818068936.jpg [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 237 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 88
Location: Pakistan
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 02:09
1
Kem12 wrote:
Hi @bunuel,trust you are fine. Could you please help me clarify when exactly to trust the diagram on a DS question. In this particular question, I only assumed that the centre of the larger circle lies on the smaller circles in the figure and I deduced 2 different scenarios.
1st, where the figure is as in the given question and 2nd, One where the other end of the smaller circle doesn't not touch the arc of the larger circle. Pls help me, I'm quite confused here.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi Kem12

The question specifically states 'as shown'. I hope that answers your question.
_________________

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 59
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 02:05
HinaTabassum wrote:
Kem12 wrote:
Hi @bunuel,trust you are fine. Could you please help me clarify when exactly to trust the diagram on a DS question. In this particular question, I only assumed that the centre of the larger circle lies on the smaller circles in the figure and I deduced 2 different scenarios.
1st, where the figure is as in the given question and 2nd, One where the other end of the smaller circle doesn't not touch the arc of the larger circle. Pls help me, I'm quite confused here.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi Kem12

The question specifically states 'as shown'. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks so much. this makes it clear.
Re: What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 02:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the area of the shaded region if the center of the larger circ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.