Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 04:29 It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: What is the biggest lesson from the Great Depression? In my view, it i [#permalink]
For question 2, why option C is not correct. As per the passage, it's written that out of $100 of someone's deposit only $2 is kept in vaults. So why can't we infer that Banks do not like to keep large amounts of money in their vaults?

For question 3, why "analytical" is not correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Send PM
Re: What is the biggest lesson from the Great Depression? In my view, it i [#permalink]
Kudos
jackspire wrote:
For question 2, why option C is not correct. As per the passage, it's written that out of $100 of someone's deposit only $2 is kept in vaults. So why can't we infer that Banks do not like to keep large amounts of money in their vaults?

Qs2: C is not correct as the RC says"When we deposit $100 in a bank, the bank keeps, at most,
two to three dollars in its vaults (some of this is actually kept with the central bank), the remaining $98 or
so are lent to a borrower."-This is only valid for every $100. Think about the billions of dollars that banks have-in such a scenario 2 to 3% of billions will still be in millions-hence this can be eliminated.

Qs3. One would have thought that this fact would be obvious to all the policy makers. However all the lessons
from the Great Depression seem to have been lost within three-quarters of a century. It seems, to
paraphrase Marc Bard, that politics (especially of the petty and partisan variety) eats policy for lunch
seven days a week: This tone is not analytical-he is coming to a conclusion by being critical of the approach that policy makers have taken-they have not learnt their lessons.Also, he talks in a ridiculing manner in the last sentence. So it boils down to C and E. Experts can probably tell how to eliminate E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
KS15 wrote:
jackspire wrote:

Qs2: C is not correct as the RC says"When we deposit $100 in a bank, the bank keeps, at most,
two to three dollars in its vaults (some of this is actually kept with the central bank), the remaining $98 or
so are lent to a borrower."-This is only valid for every $100. Think about the billions of dollars that banks have-in such a scenario 2 to 3% of billions will still be in millions-hence this can be eliminated.

Qs3. One would have thought that this fact would be obvious to all the policy makers. However all the lessons
from the Great Depression seem to have been lost within three-quarters of a century. It seems, to
paraphrase Marc Bard, that politics (especially of the petty and partisan variety) eats policy for lunch
seven days a week: This tone is not analytical-he is coming to a conclusion by being critical of the approach that policy makers have taken-they have not learnt their lessons.Also, he talks in a ridiculing manner in the last sentence. So it boils down to C and E. Experts can probably tell how to eliminate E.

Thanks for your comments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
for Q -> 1, why is B not the OA ?
Kindly explain the POE of B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: ISB '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
KS15 wrote:
jackspire wrote:

This explanation doesn't make sense. When said that banks lend $98 out of $100 deposited, it is just an example which tells that 98% of money is lent. It doesn't matter whether actual amount is in billions or trillions. Comparison is between what is kept in the vault and how much is lent. The amount lent is, as inferred, preferably much more than what is kept in vault.

Explanation for this option is when industries start defaulting on loans. In that case, banks prefer to keep money in vaults to avoid losing the depositor's money and this is the only case when banks do not prefer lending money. The only thing which holds true is money kept at Central Bank. That fact never changes no matter what state economy is in (as mentioned in passage).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Send PM
kawadhiya21 wrote:
KS15 wrote:
jackspire wrote:

This explanation doesn't make sense. When said that banks lend $98 out of $100 deposited, it is just an example which tells that 98% of money is lent. It doesn't matter whether actual amount is in billions or trillions. Comparison is between what is kept in the vault and how much is lent. The amount lent is, as inferred, preferably much more than what is kept in vault.

Explanation for this option is when industries start defaulting on loans. In that case, banks prefer to keep money in vaults to avoid losing the depositor's money and this is the only case when banks do not prefer lending money. The only thing which holds true is money kept at Central Bank. That fact never changes no matter what state economy is in (as mentioned in passage).

The explanation does make sense. If you read carefully what I have written and also the RC, clearly what the RC means is out of every $100 deposited, $98 is lent. So it not just an example. It is the % or ratio of money that is deposited and lent. This also includes some of which is kept in the central banks. And, YES, you have to prorate the amount to billions since banks dont deal in thousands or lakhs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For Question 3 why is E wrong. In the last sentence, the author'stone is ridiculing?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
In question 1 why is E not correct. The passage states that politicians intentionally prefer politics to policies. This is stated in the last line.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Could anyone please provide insight on Q2?Why C is not correct?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33674 [5]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
What is the biggest lesson from the Great Depression? In my view, it i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SajjitaKundu
KS15
jackspire
soumya170293
MithilaGauri
prashant6923
blueshores

I hope your doubts get cleared

Official Explanation

Topic – Role of the Monetary Policy

Scope - Discuss lessons from the Great Depression about the monetary policy and conclude that policymakers haven’t learnt from the same.

Passage Map

P1- to introduce the monetary policy and state that the banking sector is an important component of the same.

P2 and P3 - to describe why the banking sector is important and how the failure of the same can lead to a depression-like scenario.

P4 - to concludes that policymakers haven’t learnt from experience and that politics takes precedence over policy.

1. What is the main purpose of the author in writing the passage?

Explanation

The author starts off by describing how monetary policy works and the interdependence among its different players. He then goes on to conclude that policymakers have failed to learn from the lessons of the past as far as monetary policy is concerned. From this (D) follows as the best answer.

A. The author is doing much more than just this. This option fails to take into account the last paragraph.
B. Again the purpose is not just to describe the lessons but also to assert that policymakers haven’t learnt from these lessons.
C. Same as above, the purpose is broader than this.
E. This is true specifically for the policymakers but not for people in general.

ANSWER: D

2. According to the information in the passage, which of the following can be inferred?

Explanation

(D) is the correct answer from the lines within brackets in the 2nd para.

A. Incorrect as it is neither mentioned nor can it be inferred from the paragraph.
B. Incorrect as the author doesn’t mention anything about whether banks like this or not.
C. A tricky one. While it is true from the 2nd paragraph that banks do not like to keep a large proportion of their funds within their vaults, the amount of money (in absolute terms) in their vaults could still be fairly large.
E. This is false as no such inference can be drawn from the passage.

ANSWER: D

3. In the last paragraph, the tone of the author is

Explanation

(C) is the correct answer because the author is clearly criticizing the policy makers for not having learnt from the lessons of the Great Depression.

A. is incorrect as the author is not adulating or praising anyone in the last para.
B. is incorrect as the author is critical of the policy makers, so he is in fact closer to being pessimistic.
D. is incorrect as the author is opinionated and not analytical in the last para.
E. is incorrect as ‘ridiculing’ is a very strong term and the author doesn’t really ridicule or make fun of the policymakers.

ANSWER: C

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 153
Send PM
Kudos
can any expert please provide convincing reasoning for the correct answer choices? Q3, in particular; why is E incorrect?

Thank you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1001 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
shantanuvyas wrote:
can any expert please provide convincing reasoning for the correct answer choices? Q3, in particular; why is E incorrect?

Thank you.

Firstly, with all due respect, there is a high chance majority of us would have encountered this word in option E for the first time.
If you Google it, the meaning of "Ridiculing" is subject (someone or something) to contemptuous and dismissive language or behavior.
Now obviously we did not know the meaning but the closest word you can think of is ridiculous (or at least I could think of). Now do you really fee author is actually that extreme?

Now coming to option C, Author is being Critical. Yes. Why? Because you have to understand what's his/her point? Even though he is being sarcastic in the end he has shown concern towards Great Depression and is even more critical towards what could happen (this is an inference). Hence C is a better choice.

shantanuvyas I guess it's too delayed a response but thought to give it a shot
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1001 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Extremely nice passage with great questions.!
Managed to get all 3 questions right. Q1: 2m20s. Q2: 30sec Q3: 30 Sec.

Please understand you don't need to read paragraph 3 to it's length. You get the point that author is explaining how bank/economy/jobs work. Just skim and come back if the need be.

+1 to you Sir.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
SajjitaKundu wrote:
Hi Experts,

My answers were A/D/C. But for question 1, the answer provided is D. Isn't D just present at the end of the passage? How can it be the entire purpose of the passage?
Please help!

According to me the answer should contain both of B and D. since entire passage is dedicated to how this works and still lesson hasnt been learnt by policy makers..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14022 posts