Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1127 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4449 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4449 [2]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [4]
Send PM
Re: When he had run for mayor of Cleveland in 1968, Carl Stokes won the el [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
On the GMAT, you should only use the perfect tense (present/past) only when it's justified to do so (that is, you want to show 2 actions taking place at two distinct points on the time line).
Other than that, you should stick to basic tenses. (present,past,future)

Now look at the sentence again. Although its right to say he ran for mayorship, then won, thus proving that an African American candidate can win an election, it is not critical to seperate them here with the perfect tenses. In this sentence, all we want to do is say "Hey, here's an African American, he ran for an election and he won, so you can't say black americans can't win elections"
All these can be represented with the simple tense in (D).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [4]
Send PM
Re: When he had run for mayor of Cleveland in 1968, Carl Stokes won the el [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
D should be right because past perfect tense is about an action that was accomplished and finished in the past.

Why would you not use past perfect here? Because the running is happening at the same time period as the winning; in 1968. I'll give you two examples:

eg I ran a lot in the summer of 1969 and I eventually won a marathon. --> This is two ind. clauses linked by conjunction "and" describing two things that both happened in 1969

eg I had run a lot until the summer of 1969, time at which I eventually broke my ankle. --> this demonstrate two sequences of event 1) X used to run a lot in the past UNTIL 2) he broke an ankle that year(but remember that he stopped running after then)

Getting back to the original question, we have NOT a sequence of events but rather, a description of two events that both happened in 1968 without any event preceding another one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: SC - 700 level - mayor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Since he ran and won at about the same time, you need a time marker such as ‘when’ to conjugate the two events. Again you need a simple past tense to denote both events. D is the choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bschool83 wrote:
When he had run for mayor of Cleveland in 1968, Carl Stokes won the election, proving that an African American candidate can be elected in a city in which African Americans constitute a minority of the population.

When he had run for mayor of Cleveland in 1968,
He ran for mayor of Cleveland in 1968, and
Running, in 1968, for mayor of Cleveland,
When he ran for mayor of Cleveland in 1968,
In 1968 he had run for mayor of Cleveland, and

I selected C.

In A, Use of past perfect is wrong.
In B, unnecessary introduction of and,
In C, Correct modifier, modifying Carl Strokes.
In D, unnecessary introduction of he.
In E, unnecessary wordy and wrong tense.

Please share OA.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed please give me kudos.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
C has a couple stylistic problems.
1) What is the role of the two commas in the choice? The commas make ‘in 1968’ alienated from the stream of the sentence
2. A participle is used when you have to express a less important or incidental theme. IMO, use of participial ‘running’ is not proper because running is as important and as equal in character as winning in this case. Hence, we should assign equal working verbs for these two functions namely ‘ran and won’. Using a present particle ‘running’ downgrades the important act of ‘running’ for the post. At the same time, in the latter part ‘proving’ is correctly expressed, because ‘proving’ is a corollary of running and winning and hence is of secondary importance.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi ashishdara

When he had run for mayor of cleveland in 1968, Carl stokes won the election,proving that an african american candidate can be elected in a city in which african american constitute a minority of population

1)When he had run for mayor of cleveland in 1968,
Wrong. Past perfect is wrong because it means Carl's running for mayor completed before Carl won the election. That does not make any sense. We just need a simple reporting sentence. --> simple past is better than past perfect.

2)He ran for the mayor of cleveland in 1968,and
Wrong. "and" is wrong. we do not need parallel structure here.

3)Running in 1968,for the mayor of cleveland,
Wrong. Modifier "running in 1968" means Carl won the election while he was running. Running what? Be aware of the comma after "1968".

4)When he ran for mayor of cleveland in 1968,
Correct.

5)In 1968 he had run for mayor of cleveland,and
Wrong. "and" is wrong, we do not need parallel structure here. In addition, past perfect is unnecessary.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM