GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Wisconsin(Madison) School Moderator
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 02:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (00:54) correct 21% (01:07) wrong based on 264 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live.

(A) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live

(B) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur ever living

(C) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived

(D) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from the second most massive dinosaur ever living

(E) huge fossil bones were found from what appear to paleontologists to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/01/world/slumbering-in-the-egyptian-desert-a-titan-of-a-dinosaur.html

Digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists have found huge fossil bones of what they say appears to have been the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived.
Wisconsin(Madison) School Moderator
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Re: While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 02:53
Confused between Appear vs. Appears, I selected 'A', which was wrong.
Kindly help narrowing down to right answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 03:01
I think c is right here what refers to second most massive dinasour which is singular ..so appears preferred..

Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 03:35
A,B,C - hold
D,E - Wrong due to modifier error.
A,B - Wrong, It is inverted sentence Dinosaur is the subject so verb should be singular appears.

Hence, C is the Answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.82
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 03:44
siddreal wrote:
Confused between Appear vs. Appears, I selected 'A', which was wrong.
Kindly help narrowing down to right answer.

My first trial I chose "B" and then realized that I mistakenly identify the subject of "Appear"
Ok let's take a look at original sentence
"While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live."

So here's the question what does "What" refers to??
logically if you look at the sentence, you can make simplify version as
"Paleontologists found bones from something"
Here you can use your common sense to answer where the bones are from??
Obviously they must be found from "the dinosaur" so the proper Verb for what should be singular V.

Or you can answer this question by typical question sentence struture
Let's say you want to change the sentence "The dinosaur appears to be most massive dinosaur."
How can we change it into question sentence form? Normally we do it in this structure "Wh. question word + V. + S."
So you can see that the real subject is behind V. that's why your answer should be "appears"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 04:21
siddreal wrote:
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live.

(A) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live
(B) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur ever living
(C) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived
(D) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from the second most massive dinosaur ever living
(E) huge fossil bones were found from what appear to paleontologists to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived

A) "what appear to be" should modify "massive dinosaur". Since dinosaur is singular, "appear" is incorrect usage
B) Same as A
C) Correct
D) "which" incorrectly refers paleontologists
E) too wordy and repeats the error of A
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 06:01
D and E can be eliminated as huge fossil bones are not being modified. B can be eliminated as '' living'' is illogical.
Relative pronouns like who what which take singular verb if their antecendent is singular and take plural if antecedent is plural. Hence eliminate A and select C

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Technology
WE: Engineering (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 06:45
C is correct because the word "appears" is pointing to the singular subject Dinosaur rather than bones.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 10:52
GMATNinja daagh SIRS

i think the contenders are ABC but i am not able to understand how the subject is the dinosaur

plz guide
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 12:10
Top Contributor
Saurab
Let's face it. If a dinosaur weren't the subject what could be? Neither the dead fossil bones nor the paleontologists could be described as the dinosaur that ever lived. The only animal to be stated in the thread is the dinosaur. The substitution by the singular dinosaur will also negate the desert or the oasis as the contenders. There is absolutely no way for any other subject to be the subject of the verb 'appears'.
The problem could be that you couldn't confidently fix it as the subject of the clause starting with 'what appears.. to be."
because it happens to be an inverted clause. Here 'what' is the pronoun that stands for the subject that comes later.

On this point, I suggest you go through the Free dictionary ( https://www.thefreedictionary.com/what), especially the usage notes, after which I don't think you will have any doubts about 'what'.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 16:43
This one is a "inverted sentence". In this types of sentence, the subject falls behind the verb.
We, normally, face "inverted sentence" types questions when we're going to cross high difficulty level question!
--------Stacey Koprince (Director of Online Community-ManhattanGMAT).
Thanks__

Posted from my mobile device

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 20:57
IMO C
Use of “appears” is correct as it eliminates the subject verb agreement error
“That ever lived” correctly modifies dinosaurs

So C is correct

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2019, 20:57

While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap