Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [43]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [15]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [12]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26 (Online)
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 1: Near the end of the Cre [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is D, since the thinking an idea about a very old phenemenon is taking place with no reference to a specific time, verb should not be was/were. Secondly, those eruptions have not taken place at a time but through a long time, so using present perfect is a better choice I think as in answer D.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 1: Near the end of the Cre [#permalink]
Kudos
This was what I was trying to post:

Near the end of the Cretaceous period, a range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs.

Quote:
(A) was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led

Meaning: was thought to be, but now [...]
There is no other thing to compare to

Quote:
(B) was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that could have led

Meaning: was thought to be, but now [...]

Quote:
(C) were thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led

a range is singular

Quote:
(D) is thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led

Correct

Quote:
(E) was thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led

Meaning: was thought to, but now [...]

Originally posted by plaverbach on 14 Dec 2020, 13:59.
Last edited by plaverbach on 15 Dec 2020, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [3]
Given Kudos: 295
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Near the end of the Cretaceous period, a range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs.

Lets debrief the sentence and its meaning.
1.Subject of the sentence: A range of volcanoes, so the subject is singular. Thus we can eliminate C.
2.Next important point is "a range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps" is still thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions.
3.The sweet noun modifier "that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs" correctly modifies the eruptions.

(A) was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led Eliminated for reason 2.
(B) was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that could have led Eliminated for reason 2.
(C) were thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led Eliminated for reason 1.
(D) is thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led Correct
(E) was thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led Eliminated for reason 2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3968 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Near the end of the Cretaceous period,
a range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps
was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions
that led
to many extinctions
, including the demise of the dinosaurs.

a range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps is singular, C is OUT

If we try to understand the meaning of the sentence
A range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps that existed near the end of the Cretaceous period
is thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs.
conveys the correct meaning

was thought conveys the meaning that thinking was done near the end of the Cretaceous period which does not make sense.
Another meaning could be that this was a thought in the past but now have been proved wrong. Since there is no mention of another thought, let us assume that the theory still exists.

(B) was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that could have led
(C) were thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led
(D) is thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led
(E) was thought to have been the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led

IMO D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Correct Answer: D

the sentence asserts that the site is not anymore thought to be the site of eruptions that led to extinctions and was thought this way in the cretaceous period. This premise seems nonsensical.

same issue as in A

were is incorrectly used with "a range of volcanoes"

Correct Answer

same issue as in A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [2]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos

Intended Meaning: It IS thought in the present that (i.e, a FACT is stated) : "A RANGE of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps WAS the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs."

Splits: Was / Is / Were: "IS" is correct, as "A Range" is Singular, and Simple Present tense is desired to convey the intended meaning.

Only D conveys the correct meaning; Other options seem to convey that :Near the end of the Cretaceous period, SOMETHING was thought to be true, but now it is not thought to be true.

Answer D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [3]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is D

Near the end of the Cretaceous period, a range of ...
(A) was thought to be ...
(B) was thought to be ...
(C) were thought to have been ...
(D) is thought to have been ...
(E) was thought to have been ...

First eliminate C because of basic grammar. The subject ('A RANGE') does not agree with the verb ('WERE THOUGHT')

There are no clear grammar problems in A, B, D, or E.
So, for the next elimination, we have to look at verb tenses and meaning.
Do we need IS THOUGHT or WAS THOUGHT? Which of the two is more logical?

At the end of the Cretaceous period, when the dinosaurs went extinct, there were no humans.

'WAS THOUGHT' suggests one or both of two things:
- The thinking was done at the end of the Cretaceous period (not possible!)
- People no longer think that the range is the site of eruptions that led to extinctions

We want to avoid the suggestion that this is what people thought at the end of the Cretaceous period.
So eliminate all the answer choices with 'WAS THOUGHT'

We are left only with D 'IS THOUGHT'.

Keep it simple.
Do not overthink.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Okayyyy!! Let's try!!
Attachments

volcano.gif
volcano.gif [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 4435 times ]

Originally posted by Jks3000 on 15 Dec 2020, 03:54.
Last edited by Jks3000 on 15 Dec 2020, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos
Why isn't A the correct answer? D clearly says that the people of Crustacean period still exist and they still think that the site of climate-altering eruptions lead to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Seems strange!!

I do agree that the dinosaurs and people didn't exist together as stated in the official explanation, but how are the people still thinking about the site.

Please provide an explanation to my query.

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Biswadeep20 wrote:
Why isn't A the correct answer? D clearly says that the people of Crustacean period still exist and they still think that the site of climate-altering eruptions lead to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Seems strange!!

I do agree that the dinosaurs and people didn't exist together as stated in the official explanation, but how are the people still thinking about the site.

Please provide an explanation to my query.

Be careful, Biswadeep20, not to see only what you want to see when it comes to interpreting a sentence. The opening phrase near the end of the Cretaceous period modifies a range of volcanoes, and the verb to be cannot be conjugated in the simple past, or else the grammar would convey that dinosaurs and people did, in fact, coexist. Keeping in mind that a modifier should be placed as close to what it modifies for the sake of logical consistency, you cannot place the opening phrase at the end of the sentence to fit your projection of what the sentence may mean.

A.2) A range of volcanoes in western India called the Deccan Traps was thought to be the site of several climate-altering eruptions that led to many extinctions, including the demise of the dinosaurs, near the end of the Cretaceous period.

The above sentence would indeed convey that the range of volcanoes was at one point in time considered ground zero, so to speak, but even so, how could we justify to be instead of to have been, unless people and dinosaurs were co-inhabitants of the Earth? Sure, you may choose to read the above sentence in a certain manner, but you cannot disprove an alternative reading, namely that people of the Cretaceous period thought that the volcanic eruptions led to mass extinctions. This subtle grammatical and semantic issue is just what I had thought to test with the question. To be honest, I did not think the question would prove as difficult as it apparently was for so many people. In the end, though, the correct answer is the one that is hardest to argue against. Choice (A) has a clear flaw in expressed meaning. Meanwhile, choice (D) does not, indicating a timeline in which people of the present believe that a site that still exists today was, at one point in time, ground zero for mass extinctions, those that occurred long ago. I would refer you to the official explanation for a more thorough treatment of each answer choice.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy the question. My goal is only to provide an entertaining vehicle to help aspirants prepare for the GMAT™.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts