Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 16:06 It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [10]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: 470 to 740 - Reward of Persistence and Hardwork [#permalink]
congrats on your awesome score.
so to me your debrief is all about verbal strategy and E-gmat.
Can you shed some light on your Quant strategy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [0]
Send PM
Dear Sunita .. You are right :)). my debrief is all about my Verbal Strategy because I spent 90% of my time on the same. I am not a great reference of quant since I was good in the same to begin with. I scored a Q50 in my first attempt. My quant prep was basically MGMAT mocks and practicing questions on gmatclub. I know that a number of students use mgmat books for quant. They seem to do a very good job and cost about $125. I also know that egmat also offers a quant module for $99 which seems quite reasonable. I have not tried their free trial but I recommend you check the same out. Good luck for your GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi surenagastya,

So you improved from V17 to V40 in just 2 months?? That´s absolutely impressive. Congrats

Regarding your 3rd tactical point, how many skips (random marks) did you do (approxiamtely) in the real gmat?
I would assume that we are considering the basic best practices such as:
- skipping in your weakest areas
- doing so spread out

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thank you .this seems good , but what if you have sever problems in quant section as well as verabal section ??? this concerns me i cant get the trick quickly and stuck long time in the question. Igot the first questions wrong then improved. i still not got deep in verbal section

please any advice for help???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Q50 and V17 in first attempt should have given you somewhere around 550 total score ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [0]
Send PM
minwoswoh
My skipping strategy for different. I did not look at whether the question was in an area of my strength or not. I also did not care whether the skips were consecutive (although they were not in practice). My goal was simple - if I cannot get the gist of an SC/CR question in a minute then I would skip it. I simply wanted to spend the maximum amount of time on content that I was confident about. This helped me increase my Total Productive Time, something which I aimed for.Now I did not practice this strategy in Quant because I never felt the timing pressure in Quant.

I am not sure I understand what your question is. If I were to guess, I would say that if you cannot understand a question in 1 minute or 1:15 then you probably need to learn more.

nareshagrawal9

I was very sad when I saw your message. Then I looked at some other scores on the forum and felt much more happy. Here is one..

470 (Q50, V16): from-470-to-720-i-rise-like-a-phoenix-its-all-about-self-belief-190876.html''

I also found some other examples where students scored V25 and Q45 and scored in 500s but I guess I cannot complain with my current score :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
surenagastya wrote:
minwoswoh
My skipping strategy for different. I did not look at whether the question was in an area of my strength or not. I also did not care whether the skips were consecutive (although they were not in practice). My goal was simple - if I cannot get the gist of an SC/CR question in a minute then I would skip it. I simply wanted to spend the maximum amount of time on content that I was confident about. This helped me increase my Total Productive Time, something which I aimed for.Now I did not practice this strategy in Quant because I never felt the timing pressure in Quant.

Gotcha! Would you know how many approximate skips did you make throughout the Verbal section with this strategy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Surenagastya,
Which e-GMAT course did you take?

Thanks,
Rahul
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Minwoswoh - let me address your original question. Your original question that you posed was to address the scenario in which you are falling behind on time. We recommend skipping questions in that scenario and preferably in the areas that are not your strengths. In this case, you would not spend even 1 minute on the question to evaluate whether you need to skip this question on not; you would blindly skip. This strategy more of a fix you are late and you are trying to catch up. If you view the recording of Strategy Session 2 (also shared by the student in his debrief) you would see the strategy with an example towards the end of the session along with the discussion about Total Productive Time.

The skipping strategy that the student recommended is not a fix but a prevention strategy. By following the student's strategy, you would ensure that you dont fall behind on timing. If you look at the example that I take in Strategy Session 2, you would notice that the test case there spent a bunch of time on questions that he had little clue about and consequently fell behind on timing. Had this test case followed the strategy that Surenagyastya advised, he would not have fallen behind and consequently scored much better.

So both strategies are viable strategies but they are meant for different purposes.

# of questions that can be safely skipped: I would say that this number can be 3-4. Now a lot will depend on how consistent you are otherwise. You can make 10 mistakes and still score 95 percentile on GMAT Verbal provided you make the test throw difficult questions at you. Below is the recording of Strategy Session 2.

https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/07r3z9lsh0

-Rajat Sadana
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Thank you Surenagastya:)

surenagastya wrote:
Dear Sunita .. You are right :)). my debrief is all about my Verbal Strategy because I spent 90% of my time on the same. I am not a great reference of quant since I was good in the same to begin with. I scored a Q50 in my first attempt. My quant prep was basically MGMAT mocks and practicing questions on gmatclub. I know that a number of students use mgmat books for quant. They seem to do a very good job and cost about $125. I also know that egmat also offers a quant module for $99 which seems quite reasonable. I have not tried their free trial but I recommend you check the same out. Good luck for your GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Hi surenagastya,
470 to 740 is an outstanding performance. Congratulations on your awesome score!! Thanks for sharing your GMAT experience and advices.
Best Wishes!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-10-2015
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Amazing improvement surenagastya ! Nice debrief too.. Thanks for sharing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi Surenagastya,

Congratulations for your great score!! Thanks for sharing the experience.

If you dont mind, could you please guide me how to get mgmat books? I have tried to access the website, however it does not work since it tells me to put Database Name, Username, Password, Databased Host, etc which I do not understand.

Any others can help me too?

Appreciate for the feedback.

Thanks in advance.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
I dont believe that you can legally get the MGMAT books for free. You can buy the books from Amazon or Flipkart (if you are in India). Try our free trial if you are looking for some free prep material. We have over 200 free questions and a number of free concepts. Also attend our free webinar this weekend. Click on the link below to register.

https://e-gmat.com/sentence-correction/ ... nners&id=3

-Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 659 [0]
Send PM
Congrats Surenagasthya
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats!! Its a great score and thank you for sharing your journey and preparation strategy for the GMAT. My first attempt in GMAT was a score of 490 (V24, Q34). To my disappointment, I couldn't get the courage to prepare for it ever again until now. I am thinking to have a conducive strategy this time for a score of 700+ with more focus on Verbal and without losing the ground in Quant within next 2 months but, I'm currently in a full time job which restricts me on the amount of time that I can invest in everyday study. I would really like to know how much of time you devoted everyday in studying GMAT??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi magneto,

It's important to note that what worked for one Test Taker won't necessarily work for all Test Takers. As such, you have to take a good look at your situation, your strengths and weaknesses, etc. and put together the best overall plan for YOU.

To that end, I'd like to know a bit more about how you studied the first time:

1) How long did you study?
2) What resources were you using?

Most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) of consistent study time to hit their "peak" scores; during that time, it's common to spend 10-15 hours per week (or more) on the process. To raise your Official Score to a 700+, you'll need to do some serious work in both the Quant and Verbal sections.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37389 posts