Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619096 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers [#permalink]
Bunuel, so in order to determine a median of two intervals of integers (a,b) and (b,c) (where a<b<c), you should always use the formula: (a+c)/2?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers [#permalink]
Bunnel, if i take set S as 3,6,8 and set Q as 8,14,16 whats wrong with it? satisfy questions requirement and are not in AP.
We cant apply consecutive integers formula then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi.. So for this question only way to solve is by knowing the fact that median will lie between the 2 and eliminating the options... right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
kzivrev wrote:
Hi Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma

I think that assumption in this question is to have distinct numbers, numbers can not duplicate, for example:

6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16 here a=6 b= 12 c= 16 and conditions are fulfiled for 3/4*b and 7/8*c so final answer would be 11/16.

BUT if we include more 9's in set S and more 14's in set Q we will still have all numbers inclusive from a to c in the joint set, but than the median would not be 11, can be different numebr depending how many 9's and 14' are duplicating.

Do you think that is possable or I'm wrong

Thanks in advance for your respnce

By definition, a set is a collection of distinct objects. So we can easily say that all integers in the sets must be distinct.
Sometimes, some questions do specify sets with identical elements but strictly speaking, sets have distinct elements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
Bunuel
Hello, can you please clarify how it is clear from basic condition that sets are evenly spaced or consecutive?
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a<b<c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)*b. The median of set Q is (7/8)*c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

Since the question and options give all data in terms of fractions, we can assume values. The point is for which variable we should assume a value?
a < b < c
S = { a, ..., b } Median = (3/4)b
Q = {b, ..., c } Median = (7/8)c

Assume a value of c (which will lead to a value of b) such that c will get divided by 8 and 4 successively so that both medians are integers.
Say c = 32

Median of Q = (7/8)*32 = 28
b = 28 - 4 = 24

Median of S = (3/4)*24 = 18
a = 18 - 6 = 12

R = { 12, 13, 14, ... 32}
Median of R = 22 which as a fraction of c is 22/32 = (11/16)

Answer (C)

Where does 28 come from?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
azelastine wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a<b<c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)*b. The median of set Q is (7/8)*c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

Since the question and options give all data in terms of fractions, we can assume values. The point is for which variable we should assume a value?
a < b < c
S = { a, ..., b } Median = (3/4)b
Q = {b, ..., c } Median = (7/8)c

Assume a value of c (which will lead to a value of b) such that c will get divided by 8 and 4 successively so that both medians are integers.
Say c = 32

Median of Q = (7/8)*32 = 28
b = 28 - 4 = 24

Median of S = (3/4)*24 = 18
a = 18 - 6 = 12

R = { 12, 13, 14, ... 32}
Median of R = 22 which as a fraction of c is 22/32 = (11/16)

Answer (C)

Where does 28 come from?

We assumed c = 32
Median of Q = (7/8)*c = (7/8)*32 = 28

Since all data is given in fractions and we are asked to give the answer in fraction too, assuming any suitable value of c will help get the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
is it C?

I kinda drawn it out like:

3< 4.5(M) < 6 < 7(M) <8
I assumed C was 8 and since M(median) is 7, b has to be 6 and then figured out a being 3. Now add them all and found to be 33/6 = 5.5 average and then found which answer multiplies by C(8) gives me 5.5 Obviously not an efficient way of doing it but at least it got some kinda of result...

Kudos for the question!

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Is the way above where the person does not rely on the medians given but simply assumes numbers that fit the set correct?

Also, as long as the values are integers, the median does not have to be a whole number, right? I can have set S consist of [3,4,5,6] which would meet the requirements but the median in this case would be 4.5, i.e. not an integer.

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
KocharRohit wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)b. The median of set Q is (7/8)c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive.
The median of set Q is (7/8)c.

Let \(c=16\).
Median of Q \(= \frac{7}{8}*c = \frac{7}{8}*6 = 14\).
Since the median of 14 must be halfway between \(b\) and c=16, \(b=12\).

S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive.
The median of set S is (3/4)b.

Median of S \(= \frac{3}{4}*b = \frac{3}{4}*12 = 9\).
Since the median of 9 must be halfway between \(a\) and b=12, \(a=6\).

The median of set R -- which is composed of all of the integers from a=6 to c=16, inclusive -- is equal to the the average of 6 and 16:
\(\frac{6+16}{2} = 11\)

What fraction of c is the median of set R?
\(\frac{median-of-R}{c} = \frac{11}{16}\)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)b. The median of set Q is (7/8)c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16--> correct: median and mean for consecutive integers are same. so \(\frac{a+b}{2} =\frac{3c}{4} => b=2a \) & \(\frac{b+c}{2} =\frac{7c}{8} => 4b=3c => c = \frac{8a}{3}\), a, b & c are integers, so let's say a=3, so b = 2*3=6 & c = 8, so median of \(R = \frac{a+c}{2} =\frac{3+8}{2} =\frac{11}{2} = \frac{11}{16}*8 = \frac{11}{16}*c\)
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VeritasKarishma
Hello,

Can we take the series as S= (1,3,4), Q= (4,7,8) and R= (1,3,4,7,8),
In this case the median of R = 4 is 1/2 of the value of 8.
Also all given conditions are fulfilled by the set of numbers.
How can we consider the series is in A.P?
Please help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
KocharRohit wrote:

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

\sqrt{I solved it lke this...
for set S (a+b)/ 2 = (3/4 ) B
for set Q (b+c)/2 = (7c)/8
after solving we got
3c = 4b = 8a
median for set R is b so
4b = 3c
b = (3c)/4..

got E ..plasde tell me am i wrong somewhere?
Rohit}

median of consecutive integers a to b = (a+b)/2
median of consecutive integers b to c = (b+c)/2
median of consecutive integers a to c = (a+c)/2

(a+b)/2 = 3/4 b => b = 2a

(b+c)/2 = 7/8c => 4b = 3c

=> 8a = 3c

median of consecutive integers a to c = (a+c)/2 = (3c/8+c)/2 = 11c/16

Answer = 11/16
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92921 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts