GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Re: a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 05:08
Hi Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma

I think that assumption in this question is to have distinct numbers, numbers can not duplicate, for example:

6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16 here a=6 b= 12 c= 16 and conditions are fulfiled for 3/4*b and 7/8*c so final answer would be 11/16.

BUT if we include more 9's in set S and more 14's in set Q we will still have all numbers inclusive from a to c in the joint set, but than the median would not be 11, can be different numebr depending how many 9's and 14' are duplicating.

Do you think that is possable or I'm wrong

Thanks in advance for your respnce
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 00:05
kzivrev wrote:
Hi Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma

I think that assumption in this question is to have distinct numbers, numbers can not duplicate, for example:

6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16 here a=6 b= 12 c= 16 and conditions are fulfiled for 3/4*b and 7/8*c so final answer would be 11/16.

BUT if we include more 9's in set S and more 14's in set Q we will still have all numbers inclusive from a to c in the joint set, but than the median would not be 11, can be different numebr depending how many 9's and 14' are duplicating.

Do you think that is possable or I'm wrong

Thanks in advance for your respnce

By definition, a set is a collection of distinct objects. So we can easily say that all integers in the sets must be distinct.
Sometimes, some questions do specify sets with identical elements but strictly speaking, sets have distinct elements.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 17:11
Top Contributor
nonameee wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4) b. The median of set Q is (7/8) c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

A. 3/8
B. 1/2
C. 11/16
D. 5/7
E. 3/4

Another option is to PLUG in numbers.

We're told that the median of set Q is (7/8)c
Let's let c = 8
This means the median = (7/8)(8) = 7
For the median to equal 7, the other integer in set Q must be 6
So, set Q = {6, 7, 8}

This means that b = 6

We're told that the median of set S is (3/4)b
This means the median of set S = (3/4)(6) = 4.5
Starting with b = 6, let's keep adding integers LESS THAN 6 to set S until we get a median of 4.5
Set S = {5, 6} (nope, the median is not 4.5)
Set S = {4, 5, 6} (nope, the median is not 4.5)
Set S = {3, 4, 5, 6} (YES, the median is 4.5!)
So, set S = {3, 4, 5, 6}

This means set R = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}
Here, c = 8 and the median = 5.5
What fraction of c is the median of set R?
5.5/8 = 11/16

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 01:25
Bunuel
Hello, can you please clarify how it is clear from basic condition that sets are evenly spaced or consecutive?
Thanks.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 02:53
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 18:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a<b<c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)*b. The median of set Q is (7/8)*c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

Since the question and options give all data in terms of fractions, we can assume values. The point is for which variable we should assume a value?
a < b < c
S = { a, ..., b } Median = (3/4)b
Q = {b, ..., c } Median = (7/8)c

Assume a value of c (which will lead to a value of b) such that c will get divided by 8 and 4 successively so that both medians are integers.
Say c = 32

Median of Q = (7/8)*32 = 28
b = 28 - 4 = 24

Median of S = (3/4)*24 = 18
a = 18 - 6 = 12

R = { 12, 13, 14, ... 32}
Median of R = 22 which as a fraction of c is 22/32 = (11/16)

Answer (C)

Where does 28 come from?
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 09:50
azelastine wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
a, b, and c are integers and a<b<c. S is the set of all integers from a to b, inclusive. Q is the set of all integers from b to c, inclusive. The median of set S is (3/4)*b. The median of set Q is (7/8)*c. If R is the set of all integers from a to c, inclusive, what fraction of c is the median of set R?

(A) 3/8
(B) 1/2
(C) 11/16
(D) 5/7
(E) 3/4

Since the question and options give all data in terms of fractions, we can assume values. The point is for which variable we should assume a value?
a < b < c
S = { a, ..., b } Median = (3/4)b
Q = {b, ..., c } Median = (7/8)c

Assume a value of c (which will lead to a value of b) such that c will get divided by 8 and 4 successively so that both medians are integers.
Say c = 32

Median of Q = (7/8)*32 = 28
b = 28 - 4 = 24

Median of S = (3/4)*24 = 18
a = 18 - 6 = 12

R = { 12, 13, 14, ... 32}
Median of R = 22 which as a fraction of c is 22/32 = (11/16)

Answer (C)

Where does 28 come from?

We assumed c = 32
Median of Q = (7/8)*c = (7/8)*32 = 28

Since all data is given in fractions and we are asked to give the answer in fraction too, assuming any suitable value of c will help get the answer.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 10:49
shaselai wrote:
is it C?

I kinda drawn it out like:

3< 4.5(M) < 6 < 7(M) <8
I assumed C was 8 and since M(median) is 7, b has to be 6 and then figured out a being 3. Now add them all and found to be 33/6 = 5.5 average and then found which answer multiplies by C(8) gives me 5.5 Obviously not an efficient way of doing it but at least it got some kinda of result...

Kudos for the question!

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Is the way above where the person does not rely on the medians given but simply assumes numbers that fit the set correct?

Also, as long as the values are integers, the median does not have to be a whole number, right? I can have set S consist of [3,4,5,6] which would meet the requirements but the median in this case would be 4.5, i.e. not an integer.

Thanks.
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 02:57
azelastine wrote:
shaselai wrote:
is it C?

I kinda drawn it out like:

3< 4.5(M) < 6 < 7(M) <8
I assumed C was 8 and since M(median) is 7, b has to be 6 and then figured out a being 3. Now add them all and found to be 33/6 = 5.5 average and then found which answer multiplies by C(8) gives me 5.5 Obviously not an efficient way of doing it but at least it got some kinda of result...

Kudos for the question!

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Is the way above where the person does not rely on the medians given but simply assumes numbers that fit the set correct?

Also, as long as the values are integers, the median does not have to be a whole number, right? I can have set S consist of [3,4,5,6] which would meet the requirements but the median in this case would be 4.5, i.e. not an integer.

Thanks.

Yes, it is correct. The person does rely on the medians to get the elements of the set.
You start with c = 8, get median as (7/8)*c so median is 7. This would mean that the set Q would be {6, 7, 8}. This means b = 6.
So median of (3/4)b = 4.5. Set S would need median of 4.5 which means its elements will be {3, 4, 5, 6}. Median of even number of consecutive integers will be a non-integer.
Set R = {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}
Its median is 5.5.
Fraction = 5.5/8 = 11/16

Yes, median of a set of integers can certainly be a non integer.

Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 09:52
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2019, 09:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

a, b, and c are integers and a < b < c. S is the set of all integers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics