Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619740 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16872 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Re: A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
For statement 2:

Why can't the product BD*DC = 24 instead of being AB*BC?

Thanks
Cheers
J

BD is a height means that B is a right angle and AC is a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC).

(2) says that the product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24, the non-hypotenuse sides are AB and BC.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I have just one question. The reason why i picked "D" was the recollection of a property (which might be wrong looking at the correct ans)
" Perpendicular from the right angle to the hypotenuse divides the triangle in to 2 triangles, resulting in all the THREE triangles being similar to each other. "

In addition, the altitude from the right angle to the hypotenuse bisects the hypotenuse such that hypotenuse length is divided in to two equal lengths, each equal to the length of the altitude.

This is surely not something i have concocted, its just that i do not have the source to quote it.

Please let me know where am i wrong here so that i don't carry forward any wrong, if any, details in the future.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Quote:

Bunuel, but D doesn't necessarily have to be inside of the triangle right? So what if point D was outside of the triangle vertically above C in your diagram, and equivalent to the original line specified BD, except outside of the triangle? If we kept the same triangle from your diagram, and instead changed the problem to say CD is a height of the triangle with D being vertically about C, then B would still be the right angle and the statements would be inefficient. Am I making a mistake in thinking this?

We are told that "points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC", so D must be on one of the sides.[/quote]

Hi Bunuel,

We are told that A, B, C and D are on a plane. So, D can lie outside the triangle and hence, statement B will not be sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Oxford"18 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
Why can't be the triangle as in the file attached in which case , second statement will not be sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Why can't be the triangle as in the file attached in which case , second statement will not be sufficient.
Attachments

File comment: Diagram of the triangle
Right angle trangle.gif
Right angle trangle.gif [ 2.61 KiB | Viewed 2614 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello Bunuel,

According to the above mentioned figure, if you consider the triangle ABD then AB is the hypotenuse!! Then how come option B is sufficient!! Kindly explain!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
sudheerarya wrote:

No, BD must be perpendicular to one of the sides as it is mentioned that "BD is a height of this triangle". The way you have drawn it, you can not consider it to the height of the triangle.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rocky1988 wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

According to the above mentioned figure, if you consider the triangle ABD then AB is the hypotenuse!! Then how come option B is sufficient!! Kindly explain!!

Can you attach or mention what figure are you referring to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
sudheerarya wrote:

No, BD must be perpendicular to one of the sides as it is mentioned that "BD is a height of this triangle". The way you have drawn it, you can not consider it to the height of the triangle.

Since the question says BD as height of this triangle, it is a measurement in the plane and the line BD can be parallel to the height of the triangle and need not be the side of the triangle. Why cannot be it taken as a representative measurement in the same plane? When it is parallel to the height of this triangle, it also represents the height of the triangle? I thought every view must be considered while attempting a DS question and selected the answer based on this view. Am I thinking too inappropriately. I feel there shall not be any inambiguity in a GMAT question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle ABC is right angled and BD is a height of this triangle, what is the value of AB times BC ?

Since all points are distinct and BD is a height then B must be a right angle and AC must be a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC). Question thus asks about the product of non-hypotenuse sides AB and BC.

(1) AB = 6. Clearly insufficient.

(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24 → directly gives us the value of AB*BC. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel:
While I agree with everything where, if in actual exam I get this question, I may be sparing a moment, thinking about another possibility here. When we draw perpendicular BD in the triangle ABC, we technically have 2 hypotenuses now. In this case we really don't have sufficient information to deduce the answer. :shock: I wanted to know what's your take on this.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
23a2012 wrote:
qlx wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
If distinct points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC with a height BD, what is the value of AB times BC ?

(1) AB = 6.
(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24.

I am struggling to understand the solution given in GMATCLub Test. Can you please explain how statement 2 is sufficient to answer this question?

Attachment:
TRIANGLE 1.jpg

If the triangle is as shown in the attachment above then in statement 2 when it says the product of the non hypotenuse sides is 24
then we could also take in ∆ ABD hypotenuse is AB and non hypotenuse sides as AD *BD

also in ∆ BDC hypotenuse is BC and non hypotenuse sides are BD*DC

So statement 2 seems a bit ambiguous.

There are actually 3 right triangles in points ABCD , ∆ ABC, ∆ ABD, ∆ BDC so when they say product of non hypotenuse side
is 24 , we could choose any right triangle among these 3 and take 2 of its non hypotenuse sides .

Why are we assuming that the question is talking of ∆ ABC when it says product of non hypotenuse sides
is 24.

If question had said product of non hypotenuse sides of largest triangle or product of non hypotenuse sides of triangle ABC then 2 could surely be enough

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear Bunuel,I agree with glx and I asked myself the same question above. Why we

assuming that the question is talking about ∆ ABC while the statement 2 did not say that the product of non

hypotenuse sides of largest triangle is 24 ? .

You're right to bring this up. The language in the problem is vague. On the actual GMAT, if there was any ambiguity, they'd specify what triangle they were referring to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
We are told that "points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC", so D must be on one of the sides.[/quote]

Actually, as per the question wording - A, B, C, D are on the plane. It does not mention D also forming any part of the right triangle.

Would be great if you could clarify and suggest why D cannot be outside the triangle?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I agree with previous comments. Why are we assuming point D has to be part of the triangle as this is not specified in the question? It just says that A, B, C, D are on the same plane. I think this is a very important distinction. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
For statement 2:

Why can't the product BD*DC = 24 instead of being AB*BC?

Thanks
Cheers
J

BD is a height means that B is a right angle and AC is a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC).

(2) says that the product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24, the non-hypotenuse sides are AB and BC.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I have just one question. The reason why i picked "D" was the recollection of a property (which might be wrong looking at the correct ans)
" Perpendicular from the right angle to the hypotenuse divides the triangle in to 2 triangles, resulting in all the THREE triangles being similar to each other. "

In addition, the altitude from the right angle to the hypotenuse bisects the hypotenuse such that hypotenuse length is divided in to two equal lengths, each equal to the length of the altitude.

This is surely not something i have concocted, its just that i do not have the source to quote it.

Please let me know where am i wrong here so that i don't carry forward any wrong, if any, details in the future.

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

File comment: I did the same. Can someone please help with this query?
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 552 times ]

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts