GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Re: A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 00:52
23a2012 wrote:
qlx wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
If distinct points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC with a height BD, what is the value of AB times BC ?

(1) AB = 6.
(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24.

I am struggling to understand the solution given in GMATCLub Test. Can you please explain how statement 2 is sufficient to answer this question?

Attachment:
TRIANGLE 1.jpg

If the triangle is as shown in the attachment above then in statement 2 when it says the product of the non hypotenuse sides is 24
then we could also take in ∆ ABD hypotenuse is AB and non hypotenuse sides as AD *BD

also in ∆ BDC hypotenuse is BC and non hypotenuse sides are BD*DC

So statement 2 seems a bit ambiguous.

There are actually 3 right triangles in points ABCD , ∆ ABC, ∆ ABD, ∆ BDC so when they say product of non hypotenuse side
is 24 , we could choose any right triangle among these 3 and take 2 of its non hypotenuse sides .

Why are we assuming that the question is talking of ∆ ABC when it says product of non hypotenuse sides
is 24.

If question had said product of non hypotenuse sides of largest triangle or product of non hypotenuse sides of triangle ABC then 2 could surely be enough

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear Bunuel,I agree with glx and I asked myself the same question above. Why we

assuming that the question is talking about ∆ ABC while the statement 2 did not say that the product of non

hypotenuse sides of largest triangle is 24 ? .

Please check here: a-b-c-and-d-are-distinct-points-on-a-plane-if-triangle-a-129328.html#p1350829

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:09
I think most users are confused on this question because they think why B must be right angle. However, we need to understand that every right triangle has 3 heights. One is from the right angle to the hypotenuse, the others are small legs. And in this case we are given that D is a distinct point than other points. So BD cannot be a small leg. Am I right Bunuel?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 20:42
Ergenekon wrote:
I think most users are confused on this question because they think why B must be right angle. However, we need to understand that every right triangle has 3 heights. One is from the right angle to the hypotenuse, the others are small legs. And in this case we are given that D is a distinct point than other points. So BD cannot be a small leg. Am I right Bunuel?

Consider the below diagram for a normal triangle and for a right angled triangle. For a normal triangle there are three altitudes/heights, one each from the vertex to their opposite bases.

For a right angled triangle, two of its legs form the altitudes to the opposite bases. So BC is an altitiude from the vertex C to base AB and AB is an altitude from the vertex A to base BC. That leaves us with only one altitude which is not a side of the right angled triangle i.e. BD which is an altitude to the hypotenuse AC.

In the question it is given that ABC is right angled and BD is an altitude. Since BD can't be one of the sides of right angled triangle ABC, it has to be the altitude from the right angled vertex to the hypotenuse. Hence B is right angled and BD is the altitude from B to the hypotenuse AC.

Hope its clear!

Regards
Harsh

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Current Student
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 13:20
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
For statement 2:

Why can't the product BD*DC = 24 instead of being AB*BC?

Thanks
Cheers
J

BD is a height means that B is a right angle and AC is a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC).

(2) says that the product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24, the non-hypotenuse sides are AB and BC.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I have just one question. The reason why i picked "D" was the recollection of a property (which might be wrong looking at the correct ans)
" Perpendicular from the right angle to the hypotenuse divides the triangle in to 2 triangles, resulting in all the THREE triangles being similar to each other. "

In addition, the altitude from the right angle to the hypotenuse bisects the hypotenuse such that hypotenuse length is divided in to two equal lengths, each equal to the length of the altitude.

This is surely not something i have concocted, its just that i do not have the source to quote it.

Please let me know where am i wrong here so that i don't carry forward any wrong, if any, details in the future.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 09:56
Quote:

Bunuel, but D doesn't necessarily have to be inside of the triangle right? So what if point D was outside of the triangle vertically above C in your diagram, and equivalent to the original line specified BD, except outside of the triangle? If we kept the same triangle from your diagram, and instead changed the problem to say CD is a height of the triangle with D being vertically about C, then B would still be the right angle and the statements would be inefficient. Am I making a mistake in thinking this?

We are told that "points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC", so D must be on one of the sides.[/quote]

Hi Bunuel,

We are told that A, B, C and D are on a plane. So, D can lie outside the triangle and hence, statement B will not be sufficient.

Middle of nowhere!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Oxford"18 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 15:02
Why can't be the triangle as in the file attached in which case , second statement will not be sufficient.

Get up and work hard. No other Mantra to succeed

It's not how hard you can hit that matters, what matters is how hard you can get hit and smile back. Kick life back as hard as it kicks you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 15:05
Why can't be the triangle as in the file attached in which case , second statement will not be sufficient.
Attachments

File comment: Diagram of the triangle
Right angle trangle.gif
Right angle trangle.gif [ 2.61 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

It's not how hard you can hit that matters, what matters is how hard you can get hit and smile back. Kick life back as hard as it kicks you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:09
Hello Bunuel,

According to the above mentioned figure, if you consider the triangle ABD then AB is the hypotenuse!! Then how come option B is sufficient!! Kindly explain!!
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:12
sudheerarya wrote:

No, BD must be perpendicular to one of the sides as it is mentioned that "BD is a height of this triangle". The way you have drawn it, you can not consider it to the height of the triangle.
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:13
rocky1988 wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

According to the above mentioned figure, if you consider the triangle ABD then AB is the hypotenuse!! Then how come option B is sufficient!! Kindly explain!!

Can you attach or mention what figure are you referring to?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 22:16
Engr2012 wrote:
sudheerarya wrote:

No, BD must be perpendicular to one of the sides as it is mentioned that "BD is a height of this triangle". The way you have drawn it, you can not consider it to the height of the triangle.

Since the question says BD as height of this triangle, it is a measurement in the plane and the line BD can be parallel to the height of the triangle and need not be the side of the triangle. Why cannot be it taken as a representative measurement in the same plane? When it is parallel to the height of this triangle, it also represents the height of the triangle? I thought every view must be considered while attempting a DS question and selected the answer based on this view. Am I thinking too inappropriately. I feel there shall not be any inambiguity in a GMAT question?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 03:09
Bunuel wrote:
A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle ABC is right angled and BD is a height of this triangle, what is the value of AB times BC ?

Since all points are distinct and BD is a height then B must be a right angle and AC must be a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC). Question thus asks about the product of non-hypotenuse sides AB and BC.

(1) AB = 6. Clearly insufficient.

(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24 → directly gives us the value of AB*BC. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel:
While I agree with everything where, if in actual exam I get this question, I may be sparing a moment, thinking about another possibility here. When we draw perpendicular BD in the triangle ABC, we technically have 2 hypotenuses now. In this case we really don't have sufficient information to deduce the answer. :shock: I wanted to know what's your take on this.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 12:20
23a2012 wrote:
qlx wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
If distinct points A, B, C, and D form a right triangle ABC with a height BD, what is the value of AB times BC ?

(1) AB = 6.
(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24.

I am struggling to understand the solution given in GMATCLub Test. Can you please explain how statement 2 is sufficient to answer this question?

Attachment:
TRIANGLE 1.jpg

If the triangle is as shown in the attachment above then in statement 2 when it says the product of the non hypotenuse sides is 24
then we could also take in ∆ ABD hypotenuse is AB and non hypotenuse sides as AD *BD

also in ∆ BDC hypotenuse is BC and non hypotenuse sides are BD*DC

So statement 2 seems a bit ambiguous.

There are actually 3 right triangles in points ABCD , ∆ ABC, ∆ ABD, ∆ BDC so when they say product of non hypotenuse side
is 24 , we could choose any right triangle among these 3 and take 2 of its non hypotenuse sides .

Why are we assuming that the question is talking of ∆ ABC when it says product of non hypotenuse sides
is 24.

If question had said product of non hypotenuse sides of largest triangle or product of non hypotenuse sides of triangle ABC then 2 could surely be enough

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dear Bunuel,I agree with glx and I asked myself the same question above. Why we

assuming that the question is talking about ∆ ABC while the statement 2 did not say that the product of non

hypotenuse sides of largest triangle is 24 ? .

You're right to bring this up. The language in the problem is vague. On the actual GMAT, if there was any ambiguity, they'd specify what triangle they were referring to.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 09:11
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 09:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. If triangle A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap