It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 166

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 08:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (02:15) correct 81% (02:09) wrong based on 1069 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs, and on Tuesday it sold 1/6 of the sedans that it had in stock at the beginning of the day. If no new inventory arrived at any point on Tuesday, and the only change in inventory was that some vehicles were sold, did the dealership have more than 100 vehicles in inventory at the beginning of the day Tuesday?

(1) By the end of the day, the dealership had sold 8/9 as many sedans as SUVs.

(2) The dealership sold 85% as many sedans on Tuesday as it did on Wednesday.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 166

7 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1355 [7], given: 136

Premium Member
Re: A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Practicegmat wrote:
A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs, and on Tuesday it sold 1/6 of the sedans that it had in stock at the beginning of the day. If no new inventory arrived at any point on Tuesday, and the only change in inventory was that some vehicles were sold, did the dealership have more than 100 vehicles in inventory at the beginning of the day Tuesday?

From F.S 1, as the # of cars sold can only assume integral values, we know that the # of SUV's sold at the end of the day were of the form 9k(k is a a positive integer).
Thus, the # of sedans sold at the end of the day = \(\frac{8}{9}*9k\) = 8k = This represents \(\frac{1}{6^{th}}\)of the total sedans present at the start of the day. Thus, the # of sedans at the start of the day = 8k*6 = 48k. The no of SUV's sold can be minimum 9(for k=1) and the # of sedans present at the start of the day can be minimum(48). Still, no information about the actual # of SUV's present. Insufficient.

From F.S 2, Let the # of sedans sold on Wednesday be S. We know that # of Sedans sold on Tuesday = 85% of S = \(\frac{17}{20}*S\) = The minimum value can be when S=20, i.e. the # of sedans sold on Tuesday = 17. Also, as this is \(\frac{1}{6^{th}}\) of the total stock of sedans at the start of the day, the total no of sedans at the start = 17*6 = 102>100(Irrespective of the no of SUV's sold). Sufficient.

B.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Kudos [?]: 1355 [7], given: 136

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [7], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 19:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Practicegmat wrote:

To find , Is sedans(inv on Tue) + suvs(inv on Tue) >100

Given : sedans(sold on Tue) = sedans(inv on Tue) /6

Statement 1:

sedans(sold on Tue)=suvs(sold on Tue) * 8/9

We cannot find either sedans(inv on Tue) or suvs(inv on Tue) based on the statement and what is given. Not sufficient

Statement 2:

sedans(sold on wed) * 85/100 = sedans(sold on Tue)

From the above we can say that the minimum possible number of sedans (sold on Wed) was 20 because that is the minimum value when sedans(sold on wed) * 85/100 will be an integer and consequently the minimum sedans(sold on Tue) = 17. Therefore sedans(inv on Tue) = sedans(sold on Tue) *6= 102. Hence sufficient to answer the question.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 517 [7], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [2], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2013, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
My way is a bit different

A is not sufficient
B As we know that only the integer number of sedans can be sold on any day.

Number of sedans sold on wednesday =85% of that sold on tuesday=85%*1/6(sold on tuesday)*m(no of sedans on tuesday)=k(some integer)

=> m=120/17*k => k must be a multiple of 17 => let k be 17 then m=120
therefore even in this bare minimum case we have 120 sedans on tuesday which implies that total number of cars will be more than 100.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Kudos [?]: 99 [2], given: 34

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 10:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 04:48
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 176

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 07:26
Practicegmat wrote:

What a quant problem!

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 176

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1182 [1], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:

Official solution from Veritas Prep.

The question doesn't put any restriction on the number of SUVs not sold, so you can make this number as big as you want to prove the answer "yes".

Statement 2, however, is sufficient. While it may not look so at first, it combines with the given information to guarantee that the dealership had a minimum of 102 sedans. Knowing that:

-The number of sedans sold was 17/20 (85%) of the number sold on another day tells us that the number of sedans sold must be a multiple of 17.

-The number of sedans in stock is equal to 6(the number sold) tells us that the number of sedans in stock must be 17 x a multiple of 6. The lowest such number is 102, guaranteeing that at least 102 vehicles were in stock at the beginning of the day.

Strategically, this problem is a good opportunity to "Leverage Assets" and ask "Why Are You Here?". The fact that statement 2 talks about Wednesday when everything else in the problem talks only about Tuesday might seem like a total throwaway, but remember: the GMAT rarely, if ever, completely throws away a DS statement. If a statement seems irrelevant upon first glance, it's a good opportunity for you to ask why it's there:

-Could it be a clue that helps you better understand the other statement? -Could it be a trap, a piece of information that you thought you might need but you actually don't? -Could it be, as it is in this case, a cleverly-worded piece of information that you can make useful by Leveraging Assets - manipulating algebra, applying a number property or divisibility rule, etc.?
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 64.35 KiB | Viewed 3948 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1182 [1], given: 415

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 2

GPA: 3.81

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
Question says If no new inventory arrived at any point on Tuesday -- couldn't new inventory have arrived on Wednesday making B insufficient?

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 2

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 21:57
Given:x/6 sedans sold by the end of Tuesday where x is the inventory of sedans at the beginning of the day.

Statement 1: Suv sold on Tuesday = 9/8*x/6 = 3x/16. Total vehicles sold = x/6+3x/16= 17x/48. We cannot answer from statement (1) as x can be 48 or a multiple of 48 and no information about suvs

Statement 2: Sedans sold on Wednesday is (100/85)*x/6. x has to be at least 102, otherwise the number of sedans sold on Wednesday will not be an integer. So B is sufficient.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 21:57

A car dealership carries only sedans and SUVs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap