Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Re: A diagonal line connecting two corners of a rectangle is also the hypo [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Quote:
A diagonal line connecting two corners of a rectangle is also the hypotenuse of each of two right triangles contained within the rectangle, which is longer than any of the sides.
A. which is longer than any of the sides

B. and the line is longer than any of the sides

C. which is longer than the sides

D. that is longer than any of the sides

E. that is longer than any of the other sides

This topic teaches the irrelevance of the touch rule of the relative pronoun "which" in some situations.
'Which' refers to the diagonal line logially, but unfortunately that is the subject, placed far away. The noun that the pronoun is touching happens to be the rectangle and makes no sense to refer. Therefore Choices A and C can be eliminated.

The most important clue for the correct choice is that in a comparative degree of comparison, the use of the word 'other' is mandatory to distinguish the compared line with the rest of the crowd either singly or jointly. As per this norm, only E is the eligible correct choice.
However, the use of 'that' with a comma before to refer to the hypotenuse, which is not the noun in front, will remain a contentious issue in a correct choice.

But shouldn't the diagonal have to be a side to make the use of "any of the other sides" relevant?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [0]
Send PM
Re: A diagonal line connecting two corners of a rectangle is also the hypo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Isn't the the hyp a side according to the dictionaray? <the side of a right triangle opposite the right angle.> In addition, if hyp were not a side, how can we ever compare it with another side? Aren't we comparaing inequal things?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
I believe it's B. Comma + that is BS. Which isn't referring to hypotenuse.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Isn't the the hyp a side according to the dictionaray? <the side of a right triangle opposite the right angle.> In addition, if hyp were not a side, how can we ever compare it with another side? Aren't we comparaing inequal things?

In case of a triangle, yes.

But meaning wise, what if the length of the diagonal is being compared with the length of sides of the rectangle ?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
WHEN YOU NEED OTHER OR ELSE

When the person or object you are comparing is part of a group, you need to include the word other to prevent another kind of confusion.
Confusing: Roger is a better tuba player than any boy in his class.
Improved: Roger is a better tuba player than any other boy in his class.
The problem is subtle, which is why the mistake is made so often. Without the word other clarifying that Roger is included in the group boys in his class, it would seem that Roger is in fact a girl. And Roger is an unusual name for a girl.
I’ll give a few more examples in case this isn’t clear yet.
Sarah is more shy than any student in class.
This sounds like Sarah is being compared to students in the class, but she isn’t a student herself. If she is a student, it should go like this:
Sarah is more shy than any other student in class.
Else does a similar job. It’s used with pronouns like anyone, somebody, or no one
Sarah is more shy than any student in class.
This sounds like Sarah is being compared to students in the class, but she isn’t a student herself. If she is a student, it should go like this:
Sarah is more shy than any other student in class.

Source : https://blog.writeathome.com/index.php/2 ... r-or-else/

My side of the comparison.

When you say any side or sides , then you are including the compared diagonal line also with other sides. That means you are comparing diagonal with the diagonal itself> Threfore, then a diagonal cannot be longer than the same diagonal. When you include the word 'other' you are eliminating the aberration of self-comparison.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Quote:
A diagonal line connecting two corners of a rectangle is also the hypotenuse of each of two right triangles contained within the rectangle, which is longer than any of the sides.
A. which is longer than any of the sides

B. and the line is longer than any of the sides

C. which is longer than the sides

D. that is longer than any of the sides

E. that is longer than any of the other sides

This topic teaches the irrelevance of the touch rule of the relative pronoun "which" in some situations.
'Which' refers to the diagonal line logially, but unfortunately that is the subject, placed far away. The noun that the pronoun is touching happens to be the rectangle and makes no sense to refer. Therefore Choices A and C can be eliminated.

The most important clue for the correct choice is that in a comparative degree of comparison, the use of the word 'other' is mandatory to distinguish the compared line with the rest of the crowd either singly or jointly. As per this norm, only E is the eligible correct choice.
However, the use of 'that' with a comma before to refer to the hypotenuse, which is not the noun in front, will remain a contentious issue in a correct choice.

daagh - You havent discussed about 'B'. I do understand sometimes even the correct answer would have some sort of questionable reasons for being right, and we try to find comparatively better answers.. but in here wont ", that" should directly be the reason for crossing off 'D' and 'E', and even 'B - 'longer than any of the sides'' appears to be Ok, I felt 'other' as an extra word.
Your thoughts?

Bunuel - OA, and original reasoning, pls?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If you ask me, whether the missing of the adjective "other" is fatal in a comparative degree of comparison within a group, I would say yes and therefore reject B. This is not a question of Geometry but English style. But what is the problem with using 'other'? Is it redundant?

I have made it clear, I don't like E either. Probably the problem lies in question. If the question itself is faulty, there is no point in delving into it.

But, is it ok to compromise on principles? I am not clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
I concur.

Other is mandarory in such cases. One can choose either B or E, both are equally bad. Just understand what is wrong and move on

daagh wrote:
If you ask me, whether the missing of the adjective "other" is fatal in a comparative degree of comparison within a group, I would say yes and therefore reject B. This is not a question of Geometry but English style. But what is the problem with using 'other'? Is it redundant?

I have made it clear, I don't like E either. Probably the problem lies in question. If the question itself is faulty, there is no point in delving into it.

But, is it ok to compromise on principles? I am not clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
daagh - my question is coming from my understanding (which could be faulty) that.. "comma + that" is incorrect here and that was the reason i rejected D & E

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts