Last visit was: 19 Jul 2024, 17:33 It is currently 19 Jul 2024, 17:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94421
Own Kudos [?]: 642364 [170]
Given Kudos: 86332
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94421
Own Kudos [?]: 642364 [64]
Given Kudos: 86332
Send PM
avatar
SVP
SVP
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Status:The Best Or Nothing
Posts: 1558
Own Kudos [?]: 7298 [42]
Given Kudos: 193
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 6804
Own Kudos [?]: 30837 [6]
Given Kudos: 799
Location: Canada
Send PM
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
3
Kudos
3
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-mile trip? (Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-mile trip.)

(A) 65 mph
(B) 68 mph
(C) 70 mph
(D) 75 mph
(E) 80 mph


Average speed = (total distance)/(total time)
We already know that the total distance travelled = 40 miles
And we know that we want the average speed to be 60 miles per hour
So, our equation becomes: 60 = 40/(total time)
We can rearrange this equation to get: total time = 40/60 = 2/3 hours

During the first part of the trip, the driver travels 20 miles at a speed of 50 mph
Time to complete first part = distance/rate = 20/50 = 2/5 hours

During the second part of the trip, the driver travels 20 miles at an unknown speed. So let's say that speed is x mph
Time to complete second part = distance/rate = 20/x = 20/x hours

At this point we have enough information to create the following equation: 2/5 + 20/x = 2/3
To eliminate the fractions we'll multiply both sides of the equation by 15x to get: 6x + 300 = 10x
Subtract 6x from both sides to get: to get: 300 = 4x
Solve: x = 300/4 = 75

Answer: D

RELATED VIDEO

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 10 Dec 2017, 10:52.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 06 Feb 2022, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Joined: 17 Jul 2019
Posts: 1304
Own Kudos [?]: 1745 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 13:44 here:
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 154
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
2
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles od a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

a) 65

b) 68

c) 70

d) 75

e) 80

Why not 70?
50 mph + x mph / 2 = 60 mph, so x = 70 since the first 20 miles ans the other 20 miles are the same distnace.
What's wrong with my reasoning? :cry:


LET X=20 MILES

x/50+x/y=2x/60
=> 1/y=1/30-1/50=1/75
=>y=75

HENCE D.

P.S.: You are doing direct average/ weighted average of speed, thats wrong. you need to check that the time it takes to cover the two individual 20 miles trip should be equal to the total time its takes to cover 40 miles with average speed 60 mph.

Hope this helps...!!
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Posts: 104
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [6]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
5
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles od a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

a) 65

b) 68

c) 70

d) 75

e) 80

Why not 70?
50 mph + x mph / 2 = 60 mph, so x = 70 since the first 20 miles ans the other 20 miles are the same distnace.
What's wrong with my reasoning? :cry:


avg speed = total distance/total time

t1 = 20/50h = 0.4h
t2 = 20/x h

60 = 40/(0.4 + 20/x)

x= 75
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [4]
Given Kudos: 131
Location: India
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
3
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles od a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

A. 65
B. 68
C. 70
D. 75
E. 80

Why not 70?
50 mph + x mph / 2 = 60 mph, so x = 70 since the first 20 miles ans the other 20 miles are the same distnace.
What's wrong with my reasoning? :cry:




Since the distance is same in both stretches of the journey,therefore average speed is Harmonic mean of the speed

Average speed = 2uv/(u + v)

Average speed = 60 ,
U or V = 50

60 = 2*50*v/(50 + v)
3 = 5v/(50 + v)
150 + 3v = 5v
2v=150
v = 75

Hence D
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 107
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
2
Kudos
sem wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-mile trip? (Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-mile trip.)

A. 65 mph
B. 68 mph
C. 70 mph
D. 75 mph
E. 80 mph


Basically, the first 20 miles took 24 minutes, so the second 20 miles need to take 16 minutes in order for the average to be 60miles/h..


We need to pick an option from A-E (which we call X), that in the denominator makes 120/(16*x) = 1. Note that the value needs to be divided by 10 before it is multiplied by 16.. The only value that works is D (16 * 7.5 = 120), and thus D is the answer.


Don't even ask me how I came to solve it with this convoluted mumbo jumbo but my brain worked on full gear and at the time that I did this it made perfect sense, even though Im not that good at explaining the whole process in hindsight.
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 152
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Location: Germany
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
2
Kudos
You can use the "normal" distance/rate approach.

First, divide the trip:
For the whole trip he has to take 40 minutes (2/3 h) because he is driving at an average speed of 60m/h.
So first 20 miles at 50 m/h means that he takes 24 min (2/5 h) for half the distance.
This means that he has to take 16 minutes = 16/60 = 4 / 15 h for the last 20 miles. This gives us the equation:

distance = rate(x) * time
20 = x * 4/15
20*15/4 = x
300/4 = x
75 = x

Answer D.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
aeglorre wrote:
sem wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-mile trip? (Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-mile trip.)

A. 65 mph
B. 68 mph
C. 70 mph
D. 75 mph
E. 80 mph


Basically, the first 20 miles took 24 minutes, so the second 20 miles need to take 16 minutes in order for the average to be 60miles/h..


We need to pick an option from A-E (which we call X), that in the denominator makes 120/(16*x) = 1. Note that the value needs to be divided by 10 before it is multiplied by 16.. The only value that works is D (16 * 7.5 = 120), and thus D is the answer.


Don't even ask me how I came to solve it with this convoluted mumbo jumbo but my brain worked on full gear and at the time that I did this it made perfect sense, even though Im not that good at explaining the whole process in hindsight.


why are you setting your problem to 40 miles in 40 mins? Where did 120 come from?

If you cant explain ANYTHING why write an explanation?
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 15125
Own Kudos [?]: 66740 [8]
Given Kudos: 436
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
5
Kudos
3
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TroyfontaineMacon wrote:
aeglorre wrote:
sem wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-mile trip? (Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-mile trip.)

A. 65 mph
B. 68 mph
C. 70 mph
D. 75 mph
E. 80 mph


Basically, the first 20 miles took 24 minutes, so the second 20 miles need to take 16 minutes in order for the average to be 60miles/h..


We need to pick an option from A-E (which we call X), that in the denominator makes 120/(16*x) = 1. Note that the value needs to be divided by 10 before it is multiplied by 16.. The only value that works is D (16 * 7.5 = 120), and thus D is the answer.


Don't even ask me how I came to solve it with this convoluted mumbo jumbo but my brain worked on full gear and at the time that I did this it made perfect sense, even though Im not that good at explaining the whole process in hindsight.


why are you setting your problem to 40 miles in 40 mins? Where did 120 come from?



It's an instinctive method you often use when you learn to play with numbers in your head.
You want the average speed to be 60 miles/hr i.e. you need to cover 60 miles in 60 mins which means you must cover 40 miles in 40 mins.
The first 20 miles were covered at an average speed of 50 mph i.e. time taken (in mins) to cover the first 20 miles is 20/50 * 60 = 24 mins
You need to cover 40 miles in total 40 mins and you have already taken 24 mins during the first 20 miles. This means, you need to speed up now and cover the rest of the 20 miles in the leftover 16 mins.
What will be your speed in mph if you cover 20 miles in 16/60 hrs?
Speed = 20/(16/60) = 75 mph
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 127
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
Location: India
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
3
Kudos
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

A. 65
B. 68
C. 70
D. 75
E. 80


Let \(x\) be the average speed during remaining 20 miles

Total Trip Time = Time to cover first 20 miles + time to cover remaining 20 miles
Since total trip distance is twice that of first part of the trip, we may write above equation as

\(\frac{1}{50} + \frac{1}{x}= \frac{2}{60}\)

Or,\(\frac{1}{x} =\frac{2}{60} - \frac{1}{50}\)
Or, \(x = \frac{300}{4}=75\) miles/hr

Answer: (D)
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Affiliations: CA, SAP FICO
Posts: 32
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Speed = Distance/ Time

Time elapsed for 20Miles = (20/50) *60 = 24 Min
Remaining distance = 20 Miles

Remaining time:
@ 60 Miles/ hr, 40 Miles would take - 40 Minutes

So remaining time = 40-24 = 16 Mins

Speed required to cover 20 miles in 16 mins = (20/16)*60 = 75 Miles/hr
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 203
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [6]
Given Kudos: 242
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
4
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
Average speed concept always confuses me. Anyways there is a formula

\(Avg. Speed = \frac{2(S_1)(S_2)}{S_1+S_2}\)


\(S_1\) being one speed and \(S_2\) being another

By substituting the value you will get 75 miles/hour


Answer D
Time Taken - 1:45
Difficulty level - 600
avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 94
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Location: Hong Kong
Schools: Mannheim
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

A. 65
B. 68
C. 70
D. 75
E. 80

Why not 70?
50 mph + x mph / 2 = 60 mph, so x = 70 since the first 20 miles ans the other 20 miles are the same distnace.
What's wrong with my reasoning? :cry:


Can we use this formula:

60 = 20/50 + 20/x ?? If yes, what is the way to solve for x ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Posts: 6020
Own Kudos [?]: 13809 [5]
Given Kudos: 125
Location: India
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
4
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
LaxAvenger wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

A. 65
B. 68
C. 70
D. 75
E. 80

Why not 70?
50 mph + x mph / 2 = 60 mph, so x = 70 since the first 20 miles ans the other 20 miles are the same distnace.
What's wrong with my reasoning? :cry:


Can we use this formula:

60 = 20/50 + 20/x ?? If yes, what is the way to solve for x ?



NO, you can't use this Principle. In fact the only principle for calculating Average Speed is

Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time

Solving Equation for you:

Here, Average Speed = 60
Total Distance = 40
Total Time = Time taken in Travelling 1st 20 Miles + Time taken in Travelling 2nd 20 Miles = (20/50) + (20/x) [Because Time = Distance/Speed]

i.e. 60 = 40/ [20/50 + 20/x]

i.e. 60 = 40/ 20[1/50 + 1/x] = 2/ [(x+50)/(50x)] = 2*50x / [(x+50)] = 100x / [(x+50)]

i.e. 60*[(x+50)] = 100x

i.e. 60x + 30000 = 100x

i.e. 40x = 3000

i.e. x = 300/4 = 75 mph

I hope It clears your Doubt! :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Status:Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Posts: 3036
Own Kudos [?]: 6595 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-mile trip? (Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-mile trip.)

(A) 65 mph
(B) 68 mph
(C) 70 mph
(D) 75 mph
(E) 80 mph


We can use the following formula:

average rate = (distance 1 + distance 2)/(time 1 + time 2)

where average rate = 60, distance 1 = distance 2 = 20, time 1 = distance 1/rate 1 = 20/50 = 2/5, and time 2 = distance 2/rate 2 = 20/r (where r is the average speed of the remaining 20 miles).

Let’s now determine r:

60 = (20 + 20)/(2/5 + 20/r)

60 = 40/(2r/5r + 100/5r)

60 = 40/[(2r + 100)/5r]

60 = 200r/(2r + 100)

60(2r + 100) = 200r

120r + 6000 = 200r

6000 = 80r

r = 6000/80 = 600/8 = 75

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 6804
Own Kudos [?]: 30837 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Location: Canada
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
eybrj2 wrote:
A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40 miles trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour. At what average speed must the driver complete the remaining 20 miles to achieve an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the entire 40-miles trip? ( Assume that the driver did not make any stops during the 40-miles trip)

A. 65
B. 68
C. 70
D. 75
E. 80


The total distance is 40 miles, and we want the average speed to be 60 miles per hour.
Average speed = (total distance)/(total time)
So, we get: 60 = (40 miles)/(total time)
Solve equation to get: total time = 2/3 hours
So, the TIME for the ENTIRE 40-mile trip needs to be 2/3 hours.

The driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average speed of 50 miles per hour.
How much time was spent on this FIRST PART of the trip?
time = distance/speed
So, time = 20/50 = 2/5 hours

The ENTIRE trip needs to be 2/3 hours, and the FIRST PART of the trip took 2/5 hours

2/3 hours - 2/5 hours = 10/15 hours - 6/15 hours
= 4/15 hours
So, the SECOND PART of the trip needs to take 4/15 hours


The SECOND PART of the trip is 20 miles, and the time is 4/15 hours
Speed = distance/time
So, speed = 20/(4/15)
= (20)(15/4)
= 75 mph

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 41
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
1
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma

I figured out. Sorry!

It's like:

t1/t2=(x-60)/(60-50)

Where t1= 2/5 & t2= 20/x

The equation looks something like this after solving a bit
2x/5*20=(x-60)/10
x=5(x-60)
X=5x-300
4x=300
x= 75

Option D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A driver completed the first 20 miles of a 40-mile trip at an average [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
94421 posts