GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 138
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 09:52
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:03) correct 44% (02:02) wrong based on 36 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. It is allowed to stand in the sun for a while and some of the water evaporates so that now only 95% of it is water. Its
reduced weight will be?

1. 16 kg
2. 19.2 kg
3. 18 kg
4. 19.8 kg
5. 19 kg
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Schools: Dartmouth College
Re: A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 10:27
2
cfc198 wrote:
A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. It is allowed to stand in the sun for a while and some of the water evaporates so that now only 95% of it is water. Its
reduced weight will be?

1. 16 kg
2. 19.2 kg
3. 18 kg
4. 19.8 kg
5. 19 kg


Since 96% of the 20 kg watermelon is water, 4% of the 20 kg is non-water:
\((0.04)(20) = 0.8\) kg

Since 95% of the post-evaporation watermelon is water, the remaining 5% must be composed of the 0.8 kg of non-water:
\(0.05x = 0.8\)
\(x = \frac{0.8}{0.05} = \frac{80}{5} = 16\) kg

_________________
GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 36
A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 12:00
Water: \(\frac{96}{100}(20) = 19,2\)

Loss of weight is due to loss of water. Then we can set:
\(19,2 - x = \frac{95}{100}(20-x)\)
\(19,2 - x = \frac{19}{20}(20-x)\)
\(19,2 - x = 19 - \frac{19}{20}x\)
\(0,2 = \frac{1}{20}x\)
\(x = 4\)

New weight: \(20 - 4 = 16\)

_________________
If you liked my post, give me Kudos! Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2019, 12:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A large watermelon weighs 20 kg with 96% of its weight being water. I

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.