GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 06:09

LIVE NOW!

LBS is Calling R1 Admits - Join Chat Room to Catch the Latest Action


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

     November 22, 2018

     November 22, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     November 24, 2018

     November 24, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1674
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 10:13
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:55) correct 35% (01:58) wrong based on 298 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a time to pass through a secure door. A computer decides whether or not to unlock a secure door on the basis of visual clues, which it uses to identify people with proper clearance. The shape of the head, the shape and color of the eyes, the shape and color of the lips, and other characteristics of a person’s head and face are analyzed to determine his or her identity. Only if the person trying to open a secure door has the required clearance will the door unlock. Because this new system never fails, an unauthorized person can never enter a secure door equipped with the system. If the statements above are true, which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn?

(A) The new system is sure to be enormously successful and revolutionize the entire security industry.
(B) The new system can differentiate between people who are seeking to open a secure door and people passing by a secure door.
(C) No two people have any facial features that are identical, for example, identical lips.
(D) High costs will not make the new security system economically unviable.
(E) The new computer system is able to identify some slight facial differences between people who look very similar, such as identical twins.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 04:25
my final choice were E and B, but why B is incorrect, it is a very strong contender.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7044
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 05:19
1
IIMC wrote:
my final choice were E and B, but why B is incorrect, it is a very strong contender.



Hi.

B mentions "(B) The new system can differentiate between people who are seeking to open a secure door and people passing by a secure door"
BUT there is NO difference in the OPENING and PASSING BY since it is given that it allows ONLY one person to enter. so noone can pass by unless he opens it..
Quote:
A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a time to pass through a secure door. A computer decides whether or not to unlock a secure door on the basis of visual clues, which it uses to identify people with proper clearance.


hope it helps you to eliminate B
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

examPAL Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Mar 2017
Posts: 117
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 04:56
chesstitans IIMC
Adding to chetan2u 's answer, notice that the system only operates when someone tries to open a secure door. It doesn't even apply to people who are just passing by...
_________________

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 36
CAT Tests
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:58
I'm stuck between C and E... both seem to be similar. chetan sir can you differentiate between the two choices?
examPAL Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Mar 2017
Posts: 117
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 08:29
harsha3699 wrote:
I'm stuck between C and E... both seem to be similar. chetan sir can you differentiate between the two choices?

harsha3699
They would amount to the same thing IF (C) would say that no two people can share ALL of the same facial characteristics. But it doesn't say that - it says that they can't share even one part. This is not stated in the text, and doesn't have to be true for the system to work: people can have identical lips, but because their eyes are different, the system will work.
_________________

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image
Image

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7044
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 08:37
harsha3699 wrote:
I'm stuck between C and E... both seem to be similar. chetan sir can you differentiate between the two choices?


Hi Harsha..

What should be a CONCLUSION. something that flows out of the PARA and is in the core of the discussion.
here the point being talked of is THE NEW SYSTEM so the conclusion should talk of something concerning it..
Even if B is correct, it can just be a premise or a fact helping in some conclusion about te new system..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 36
CAT Tests
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 18:51
1
DAVEexamPAL wrote:
harsha3699 wrote:
I'm stuck between C and E... both seem to be similar. chetan sir can you differentiate between the two choices?

harsha3699
They would amount to the same thing IF (C) would say that no two people can share ALL of the same facial characteristics. But it doesn't say that - it says that they can't share even one part. This is not stated in the text, and doesn't have to be true for the system to work: people can have identical lips, but because their eyes are different, the system will work.

Thank you sir!! To the point !! I see that I should read the options more closely.
Thank you again.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 36
CAT Tests
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 18:52
chetan2u wrote:
harsha3699 wrote:
I'm stuck between C and E... both seem to be similar. chetan sir can you differentiate between the two choices?


Hi Harsha..

What should be a CONCLUSION. something that flows out of the PARA and is in the core of the discussion.
here the point being talked of is THE NEW SYSTEM so the conclusion should talk of something concerning it..
Even if B is correct, it can just be a premise or a fact helping in some conclusion about te new system..


Thank you sir!! I was clear with option B.. yeah got your point of keeping the conclusion within reach of the para.. need to work on that aspect.
Thank you again!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2017, 18:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A new electronic security system will only allow a single person at a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.