Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [10]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [8]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: A professor of business placed a case-study assignment for her class o [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

My two cents here: It's obvious that we have to choose between A and B. B seems to give a general fact that supports the overall conclusion. Conversely, A seems to provide anecdotal evidence that support the conclusion. However, A lacks the depth that is needed to fully support the conclusion. While A is relevant to the context of the classroom at a particular school, it does not necessarily support the conclusion that now books in printed form will be favored over computerized books, a very broad conclusion. B gives outside evidence that is fully supportive of the broad claim that the conclusion is making.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: A professor of business placed a case-study assignment for her class o [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Here is my opinion.

It is a sampling pattern question where the behaviour of University Students helps in deducing the behaviour of the larger population.
Since university students reacted in a particular way a lot more people will behave in the similar way. Hence, if any of the answer choices suggest that their behaviour is validated by some other source as well, it will strengthen the argument.

Now coming to the answer choices. Removing the obvious wrong choices first.
C - "Impaired Vision" - No such mention in the passage hence out of scope.
D - "Scanning technology" - Again no such mention in the passage hence out of scope.
E - "Cassette Tapes" - Same, out of scope.

Now we have 2 choices, A & B, where we get additional validation of the behaviour of students. But since choice A is concerned with Students of the same university and the argument talks about general behaviour. Choice A seems incorrect.
Choice B provides a correct validation of the student behaviour hence it is the right (most close) choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Could please someone explain why the correct answer is B? Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Could you please explain why B is the correct answer?
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
A professor of business placed a case-study assignment for her class o [#permalink]
A professor of business placed a case-study assignment for her class on her university’s computer network. She later found out that instead of reading the assignment on the computer screen, 50 out of the 70 students printed it out on paper. Thus, it is not the case that books delivered via computer will make printed books obsolete.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

To strengthen the conclusion, we have to look for the option in which support for physical paper is greater than computer for reading.

(A) Several colleagues of the professor have found that, in their non-business courses, several of their students behave similarly in relation to assignments placed on the computer network. -- "Several" is a vague term. Could mean anything from one to more students. Narrow scope
(B) Studies consistently show that most computer users will print reading material that is more than a few pages in length rather than read it on the computer screen. -- CORRECT. This is a staunch support for overall reader behavior (not just a single sample space)
(C) Some people get impaired vision from long periods of reading printed matter on computer screens, even if they use high quality computer screens. -- again "some people". similar vague option as A
(D) Scanning technology is very poor, causing books delivered via computer to be full of errors unless editors carefully read the scanned versions. -- Very specific case and narrow case. Editors might be doing due diligence to remove error; we don't know.
(E) Books on cassette tape have only a small fraction of the sales of printed versions of the same books, though sales of videos of books that have been turned into movies remain strong. -- Specific cases, narrow scope

Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
A professor of business placed a case-study assignment for her class o [#permalink]
here, we have to prove that digit books will not completely make the need for printed books redundant.

(A) Several colleagues of the professor have found that, in their non-business courses, several of their students behave similarly in relation to assignments placed on the computer network. - This draws a comparison between business and non-business courses, a comparison thats irrelevant to the argument at hand. Hence, eliminate (A)

(B) Studies consistently show that most computer users will print reading material that is more than a few pages in length rather than read it on the computer screen. - this lets us know that the tolerance limit (of people for reading lengthy material) is quite low for digital reading materials (which include digital books). So, if any digital reading material is more than a few pages in length, people will most certainly print these digital reading materials.

Most books obviously have way more than a 'few simple pages'. Hence, if books are shared digitally, a good majority of people will print them out, rather than reading them using computers (or other electronic devices). The existence of printed books is therefore further established. Hence, presence of digital books will not make printed books obsolete.

hence, (B) is the right answer.

(C) Some people get impaired vision from long periods of reading printed matter on computer screens, even if they use high quality computer screens. - even if (C) is true, it does not tell us anything about making printed books obsolete. Hence, eliminate (C).

(D) Scanning technology is very poor, causing books delivered via computer to be full of errors unless editors carefully read the scanned versions. - This does highlight a problem with the scanning technology used to transfer scanned books digitally. But it does not make any statement or help us to draw any inference on whether the printed books will become obsolete. Hence, eliminate (D)

(E) Books on cassette tape have only a small fraction of the sales of printed versions of the same books, though sales of videos of books that have been turned into movies remain strong. - irrelevant. Hence, eliminate (E)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hi expert,
Although I picked the correct answer, I am not very sure how to eliminate C (I think it says “some people”), so ask for your help on C. Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
TheGraceful wrote:
GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatVerbal , VeritasKarishma..

Request your help here.
While option B is supportive, it is saying for a limited version - few pages.
Option A suggests similar behavior in some other class is observed - strenghtning that this is sort of common thing.

Please clear, why and how 'B' can be answer?

This question asks us which of the answer choices most strengthens the argument. It is possible that both (A) and (B) strengthen the argument but one of them will strengthen the argument more than the other.

The author argues that books delivered via computer will not make printed books obsolete. The evidence in support of this conclusion is that 50 out of 70 students printed an assignment rather than reading it on a screen.

Let's take a look at the answer choices to see why (B) is a better answer in this question:
Quote:
(A) Several colleagues of the professor have found that, in their non-business courses, several of their students behave similarly in relation to assignments placed on the computer network.

Students acting similarly in other classes tells us that the professor's class is not an isolated case. However, there are a couple of reasons (A) is not as effective in strengthening the argument as it first appears:

• We don't know how big these other classes are. Several other classes of 5 students would not be a big addition to our sample size and wouldn't strengthen the argument much.
  • We don't know how many several students are and we don't know how big the other classes are -- several students could be a handful of students from a class of hundreds. In this scenario where only a small proportion of a class is printing their assignments, (A) WEAKENS the argument.
  • The students are printing their assignments, not books, perhaps because it is easier to make notes on a printed assignment than on one on a screen. It's not clear that students printing assignments can tell us much about whether people prefer to read books on screen or on paper.

It's true that having more classes where students print their assignments rather than read them on-screen could strengthen the argument, but there are a number of issues with (A) that mean we should be suspicious of it. We might not cross it out straight away but let's take a look at (B):
Quote:
(B) Studies consistently show that most computer users will print reading material that is more than a few pages in length rather than read it on the computer screen.

There are a few things to notice here:
  • Studies consistently show -- this suggests the observation that follows has been repeated over multiple studies
  • most computer users -- this is a very large group of people to study. We can be confident that the results from these studies can tell us something about the behavior of the population as a whole.
  • will print reading material that is more than a few pages in length -- our large sample of the population will print whatever it is they're reading if it's more than a few pages long. This could refer to any type of reading material but particularly books which tend to be much more than a few pages long

Be careful with what that last part of (B) says -- it is not limiting the argument to things that are only a few pages long, it is talking about anything longer than a few pages.

(B) suggests that printing reading material, rather than reading it on a screen, is the method that lots of people prefer for a wide range of reading material. (B) definitely strengthens the argument.

(A) might strengthen the argument a little but (B) does this much more effectively, so (B) is the answer to this question.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja hello expert, I saw your explanation. Although I did it correctly, I am not very sure how to eliminate C (I think it says “some people”), so could you also help on C? Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hi expert,
Although I picked the correct answer, I am not very sure how to eliminate C (I think it says “some people”), so ask for your help on C. Thanks in advance.

The conclusion of the argument is that "it is not the case that books delivered via computer will make printed books obsolete."

Take another look at (C):
Quote:
(C) Some people get impaired vision from long periods of reading printed matter on computer screens, even if they use high quality computer screens.

(C) tells us a bad thing about computer screens: some people have vision issues from long periods of reading on screens.

However, (C) does NOT give us any kind of comparison between screens and printed books. Do some people also get impaired vision from reading out of a printed book? We simply don't know. So, (C) doesn't give us a compelling reason to think that printed books are any better than screens in this way. That means that (C) doesn't strengthen the argument that printed books won't become obsolete.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hi expert,

The conclusion of the argument is that "it is not the case that books delivered via computer will make printed books obsolete."

Take another look at (C):
Quote:
(C) Some people get impaired vision from long periods of reading printed matter on computer screens, even if they use high quality computer screens.

(C) tells us a bad thing about computer screens: some people have vision issues from long periods of reading on screens.

However, (C) does NOT give us any kind of comparison between screens and printed books. Do some people also get impaired vision from reading out of a printed book? We simply don't know. So, (C) doesn't give us a compelling reason to think that printed books are any better than screens in this way. That means that (C) doesn't strengthen the argument that printed books won't become obsolete.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja thanks for your explanation expert. I just assume people won’t get impaired vision from reading a printed book, and I think this is a common sense...so I know where I am wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts