GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 03:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 04:33
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi
An OG question, so it calls for an analysis, calling all experts please. Daagh chetan4u egmat magoosh veritas plz
Kindly explain what's wrong with C
Thanks

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

"Instead of" can be used only for nouns; "rather than" can be used for nouns or verbs. Here "retiring" and "facing" are gerunds (i.e. nouns), and hence both "instead of" and "rather than" are acceptable.

The problem with C is the incorrect idiom elect + gerund (verb-ing) . The correct idiom is elect + infinitive (to -verb).

Can we mark E on the grounds that since phrase after "rather than" marks present tense so the verb should be in simple form?

Construction for Present Tense:

would rather <verb in simple form> than <verb in simple form>

I am not sure what you mean by simple form - do you mean simple present?
Please note that in option E, the parallelism is between two infinitives (not between two verbs in simple present tense): to retire and to face - it is alright to omit "to" in the second element. ...to retire rather than to face....
Magoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 21:58
if parallelism is the deciding factor, why not add a "to" after the "rather than", this can be true parallel

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 01:14
YangYichen wrote:
if parallelism is the deciding factor, why not add a "to" after the "rather than", this can be true parallel

We are not repeating to because we have a rule 'Once outside or Twice Inside".

So, both ways the sentence should be correct.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 03:07
abhimahna wrote:
YangYichen wrote:

We are not repeating to because we have a rule 'Once outside or Twice Inside".

So, both ways the sentence should be correct.

could you please elaborate on 'Once outside or Twice Inside" rule?

LSAT CR is driving me mad

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
YangYichen wrote:
could you please elaborate on 'Once outside or Twice Inside" rule?

Sure.

As per this rule, we can have either "to both X and Y" or "both to X and to Y".

Notice, in the first one I kept to outside once and this would be used for both X and Y while in the second one, I used to with both X and Y. Hence, in the letter part we have Twice Inside.

Here are the great questions that work on the same principle.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-para ... ce-inside/

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 07:46
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

(A) had elected early retirement rather than face - past perfect had elected is incorrect
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing - same as A
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing - instead of is used to show a preference
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing - to retire is not parallel to facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face - Correct

Answer E
If in option A, had elected is changed to have elected, then we have
(A)' have elected early retirement rather than face -- is there a parallelism error here?
why can't the parallel structures be - many doctors have elected early retirement
rather than face -- in this case have elected and face are both verbs and can't they be parallel?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k - please help .

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 23:31
Skywalker18 wrote:
Answer E
If in option A, had elected is changed to have elected, then we have
(A)' have elected early retirement rather than face -- is there a parallelism error here?
why can't the parallel structures be - many doctors have elected early retirement
rather than face -- in this case have elected and face are both verbs and can't they be parallel?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k - please help .
Face is not a (full) verb. It's an infinitive. It's slightly hard to see that because the to in to face has been assumed away, leaving only face.

In other words, in the correct option, it is to retire and (to) face that are parallel.
have elected to retire early rather than face

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2018, 23:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap