Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:26 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7820 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1300 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

(A) had elected early retirement rather than face-> has found, so it must be have elected.
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing-> has found, so it must be have elected.
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing-> instead of is not used for contrast.
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing-> to retire is not parallel to facing.
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face-> above errors are corrected here.

So, I think E. :)
Re: A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

(A) had elected early retirement rather than face
(B) had elected early retirement instead of facing
(C) have elected retiring early instead of facing
(D) have elected to retire early rather than facing
(E) have elected to retire early rather than face

GMATNinja AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

"and" is the parallelism trigger here.
Phrases before and after "and" seem parallel.
"facing the threats of lawsuits" is parallel to "rising costs of malpractice insurance".
Hence option D should be correct.
Where am I wrong here ?

'and' does combine two elements of a list but which two elements are they?
'the threats of lawsuits' and 'the rising costs of malpractice insurance'
threats and rising costs.

There is another pair of parallel elements - 'retire early' rather than 'face the threats ...'
They need to be parallel too so (D) is incorrect 'retire early' rather than 'facing the threats...'
(E) does this correctly.

VeritasKarishma
threats -->noun
rising-->adjective
so, it seems that they are not parallel each other-the actual parallelism is in the silent position like the following..
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than (to) face the threats of lawsuits and (to face) the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

is it ok?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66912 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
threats -->noun
rising-->adjective
so, it seems that they are not parallel each other-the actual parallelism is in the silent position like the following..
A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors have elected to retire early rather than (to) face the threats of lawsuits and (to face) the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

is it ok?

The parallel elements are 'threats' and 'rising costs'. Costs is the noun and 'rising' is a modifier to costs.

Look at another example:
There are two problems we are facing today - 'inflation' and 'increasing rates'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GPA: 4
Send PM
EducationAisle, AndrewN, AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep CrackVerbalGMAT

Guys would appreciate some help with B. OG says, retirement and facing are not parallel but I am not able to figure out why, as they are both nouns. To answer my own question, I wonder if it's because "facing" here is acting as an adjective modifying "the threats" and not as a noun?
Thanks
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6988 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:

Guys would appreciate some help with B. OG says, retirement and facing are not parallel but I am not able to figure out why, as they are both nouns. To answer my own question, I wonder if it's because "facing" here is acting as an adjective modifying "the threats" and not as a noun?
Thanks

Hello, TargetMBA007. Yeah, the OG is big on airtight parallelism as often as such elements can be tightly mirrored. In answer choice (B), retiring, not retirement, would be perfectly parallel to facing, similar to what we see in (C). But there are other problems with (B)—the past perfect had elected, and instead of when rather than is called for—as I would hope the OG also points out. The takeaway is not to get too caught up on any given flaw in an answer if three or more appear. SC questions often test multiple concepts in the underlined portion, both grammatical and semantic. So, in short, a noun-to-noun parallel construct might not be good enough to satisfy the parallelism demands of the exam. Better to play it safe. If no reasonable alternative exists, then you might have to go with something a little skewed on the surface.

I hope that helps. Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3541 [2]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Guys would appreciate some help with B. OG says, retirement and facing are not parallel but I am not able to figure out why, as they are both nouns.

You are right. Technically speaking, facing is used as a gerund here (a noun form, since facing is the object of preposition of).

However, as Andrew mentioned, GMAT would just prefer an option that does close mirroring of the parallel elements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:

Thanks

Hello, TargetMBA007. So, in short, a noun-to-noun parallel construct might not be good enough to satisfy the parallelism demands of the exam. Better to play it safe. If no reasonable alternative exists, then you might have to go with something a little skewed on the surface.

- Andrew

AndrewN Thanks for responding Andrew. Definitely noticed the error with the past perfect too, but I was just curious about the Parallelism issue with this one. You mentioned "Noun to Noun" construct here, but I wondered if it's really a noun to noun construct, or if its wrong because technically its a "noun to adjective" construct, with facing being used as an adjective?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Guys would appreciate some help with B. OG says, retirement and facing are not parallel but I am not able to figure out why, as they are both nouns.

You are right. Technically speaking, facing is used as a gerund here (a noun form, since facing is the object of preposition of).

However, as Andrew mentioned, GMAT would just prefer an option that does close mirroring of the parallel elements.

EducationAisle Thanks Ashish, does this mean that in all cases a gerund cannot be parallel to a simple noun? Also, still a bit confused about whether "facing" here is a noun/gerund or an adjective? The dictionary definitions of facing as a Noun and Adjective seem to imply that in this case it might not be a noun, but I could be wrong here?

Quote:
Facing - noun
a layer of material covering part of a garment and providing contrast, decoration, or strength.
an outer layer covering the surface of a wall.
"the bricks were used as a facing on a concrete core"

Facing - adjective
positioned with the front toward a certain direction; opposite.
"two large front-facing windows"
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6988 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
AndrewN Thanks for responding Andrew. Definitely noticed the error with the past perfect too, but I was just curious about the Parallelism issue with this one. You mentioned "Noun to Noun" construct here, but I wondered if it's really a noun to noun construct, or if its wrong because technically its a "noun to adjective" construct, with facing being used as an adjective?

To be clear, yes, facing is used in a nominative (noun) capacity here as a gerund. There is no such thing as an instead of + [adjective] construct. Instead of requires a noun to follow, while rather than is a bit more versatile, allowing for either nouns or verbs to follow.

CORRECT: I walked rather than ran.
INCORRECT: I walked instead of ran.

In option (B) of the sentence we are discussing, the shell of the sentence tells us what we need to compare:

Doctors elected A instead of B.

For more insight into the topic, I would recommend checking out this thread in the Manhattan Prep forum.

Happy reading.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:

To be clear, yes, facing is used in a nominative (noun) capacity here as a gerund. There is no such thing as an instead of + [adjective] construct. Instead of requires a noun to follow, while rather than is a bit more versatile, allowing for either nouns or verbs to follow.

CORRECT: I walked rather than ran.
INCORRECT: I walked instead of ran.

In option (B) of the sentence we are discussing, the shell of the sentence tells us what we need to compare:

Doctors elected A instead of B.

For more insight into the topic, I would recommend checking out this thread in the Manhattan Prep forum.

Happy reading.

- Andrew

Thanks AndrewN. The difference between "instead of" and "rather than" makes complete sense, Thanks. I am still struggling to nail the parallelism issue with this. I see we have a gerund and an action noun here, is that the reason why they are not parallel?

Just been digging more into it, I found that:
* A simple gerund CANNOT be parallel to an Action Noun (Which is the case in our example I believe?) BUT a "complex gerund" can be parallel to an action noun?

I came up with this simple table to make sense of the different possible combinations between simplex and complex gerunds, action nouns and concrete nouns. Wonder if this looks right to you?

Attachment:
Gerunds Nouns.jpg
Gerunds Nouns.jpg [ 34.99 KiB | Viewed 2244 times ]

Please tell me I have nailed it :).

Thanks
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6988 [0]
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Thanks AndrewN. The difference between "instead of" and "rather than" makes complete sense, Thanks. I am still struggling to nail the parallelism issue with this. I see we have a gerund and an action noun here, is that the reason why they are not parallel?

Just been digging more into it, I found that:
* A simple gerund CANNOT be parallel to an Action Noun (Which is the case in our example I believe?) BUT a "complex gerund" can be parallel to an action noun?

I came up with this simple table to make sense of the different possible combinations between simplex and complex gerunds, action nouns and concrete nouns. Wonder if this looks right to you?

Attachment:
Gerunds Nouns.jpg

Please tell me I have nailed it :).

Thanks

Hello again, TargetMBA007. I can see the allure of building fences around fences, as one of my colleagues said to me in graduate school, but these rules are not likely to help you when it comes to GMAT™ SC. I can think of zero cases, for instance, in which I have used a comparison between a complex gerund and something else as grounds for elimination. This is not to say that everyone learns the same way or should pursue a similar line of thought, but I stress a simple, holistic approach to SC, not one based in computer fashion on input-output relationships between specific variables. I have shared what I believe the OG meant regarding a lack of parallelism in (B). I would stick to the surface of the issue and move on, looking to pick up other lessons that are more broadly applicable to the task at hand. In short, I think you are following a linguistics path, not one that will aid you in answering SC questions correctly. (And I love linguistics.)

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 529
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:

Thanks

Hello, TargetMBA007. Yeah, the OG is big on airtight parallelism as often as such elements can be tightly mirrored. In answer choice (B), retiring, not retirement, would be perfectly parallel to facing, similar to what we see in (C). But there are other problems with (B)—the past perfect had elected, and instead of when rather than is called for—as I would hope the OG also points out. The takeaway is not to get too caught up on any given flaw in an answer if three or more appear. SC questions often test multiple concepts in the underlined portion, both grammatical and semantic. So, in short, a noun-to-noun parallel construct might not be good enough to satisfy the parallelism demands of the exam. Better to play it safe. If no reasonable alternative exists, then you might have to go with something a little skewed on the surface.

- Andrew

Got it correct but still thinking a good reason to eliminate (C)? Parallelism seems fine.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6988 [3]
Kudos