Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619043 [21]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: A square with side length x is inscribed in a right triangle with side [#permalink]
Kudos
As discussed by most of the experts here, this is a question which tests your knowledge of similarity concepts.

When you have a situation where a smaller triangle is inside a larger triangle, such that one side of the smaller is parallel to the corresponding side of the larger, corresponding angles will be equal and you will be able to prove the triangles similar.

Because the triangles are similar, their sides will be in the same ratio and so will be all the other line segments of the two triangles, like the altitudes, medians and angle bisectors.

Drawing a diagram for the first situation will give us a figure similar to this:

Attachment:
29th May 2019 - Reply 4 - 1.JPG
29th May 2019 - Reply 4 - 1.JPG [ 14.1 KiB | Viewed 11172 times ]

Clearly, DE is parallel to BC, the sides AB and AC are the transversals. Angle A is common, angles ADE and ABC are corresponding angles and hence equal and so are angles AED and ACB. So, triangle ADE is similar to triangle ABC. Therefore,

\(\frac{DE}{BC}\) = \(\frac{AD}{AB}\)

\(\frac{x}{3}\) = \(\frac{(4-x)}{4}\)
which on solving gives us x = \(\frac{12}{7}\).

At this point, we do not have sufficient information to eliminate any of the options, so let us continue analyzing the second half of the question.

A diagram representing the second situation looks something like this:

Attachment:
29th May 2019 - Reply 4 - 2.JPG
29th May 2019 - Reply 4 - 2.JPG [ 14.96 KiB | Viewed 10966 times ]

Using similar methods, we can prove that triangle BPQ is similar to triangle BAC (or ABC).

Area of triangle ABC = ½ * 3 *4 = ½ * 5 * BD. Therefore, BD = \(\frac{12}{5}\).

Now, since triangle BPQ is similar to triangle BAC,

\(\frac{Altitude of triangle BPQ}{BD}\) = \(\frac{y}{5}\) (because ratio of altitudes = ratio of corresponding sides).

Therefore, Altitude of triangle BPQ = BD * \(\frac{y}{5}\) = \(\frac{12}{5}\) * \(\frac{y}{5}\) = \(\frac{12y}{25}\).

Altitude of triangle BPQ + y = BD.

\(\frac{12y}{25}\) + y = \(\frac{12}{5}\).

Simplifying, we get, y = \(\frac{60}{37}\).

Therefore, \(\frac{x}{y}\) = \(\frac{12}{7}\) * \(\frac{37}{60}\) which simplifies to \(\frac{37}{35}\).
So, the correct answer option is D.

Hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A square with side length x is inscribed in a right triangle with side [#permalink]
nick1816 wrote:
Case 1 When one vertex of the square coincides with the right-angle vertex of the triangle

triangle(AEF)~triangle(ABC)
\(\frac{3-x}{3}\)=\(\frac{x}{4}\)
12-4x=3x
12=7x
x=12/7

Case2 When one side of the square lies on the hypotenuse of the triangle.

triangle(AZY)~triangle(ABC)
3/4=AZ/y
AZ=3y/4

Also, triangle(VWC)~triangle(ABC)
3/4=y/WC
WC=4y/3

AC=AZ+ZW+WC=5
3y/4+y+4/3y=5
y=60y/37

x/y=(12/7)/(60/37)=37/35

nick1816 Please explain highlighted part.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
AC=AZ+ZW+WC=5
\((\frac{3y}{4})+y+\frac{4y}{3}=5\)
\((\frac{9+12+16}{12})y=5\)
y=\(\frac{60}{37}\)

Kinshook wrote:
nick1816 wrote:
Case 1 When one vertex of the square coincides with the right-angle vertex of the triangle

triangle(AEF)~triangle(ABC)
\(\frac{3-x}{3}\)=\(\frac{x}{4}\)
12-4x=3x
12=7x
x=12/7

Case2 When one side of the square lies on the hypotenuse of the triangle.

triangle(AZY)~triangle(ABC)
3/4=AZ/y
AZ=3y/4

Also, triangle(VWC)~triangle(ABC)
3/4=y/WC
WC=4y/3

AC=AZ+ZW+WC=5
3y/4+y+4/3y=5
y=60y/37

x/y=(12/7)/(60/37)=37/35

nick1816 Please explain highlighted part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Can someone explain how are you proving the triangles similar?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
To be honest, unless I had a ton of extra time on the Quant section, I'd take an informed guess on this one.

First, I noticed the 'evil twins' in the answer choices: A and E are a pair, and so are B and D. Therefore, I'm definitely going to eliminate C, which doesn't have a twin.

Next, draw it out:

The squares look almost the same size to me (so I'm leaning towards either B or D), but my intuition says that x is a tiny bit bigger - it seems like you can fit a sliiiightly bigger square into a right triangle by fitting it perfectly into the corner of the triangle, versus rotating it. D is a reasonable guess, although B would also be reasonable, since I don't have a great way to convince myself that x really is greater.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vinayak013 wrote:

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

No problem. If you want to PROVE that triangles are similar, you need to show that their angles are the same. Here's how you'd do it for the first triangle, the one with the square whose sides have length x:

Since it's a square, all of its angles are 90 degrees. I've marked those.

Next, the angles that are supplementary to a 90 degree angle are also 90 degrees:

Next, let's label one of the unknown angles with a question mark (?). It doesn't really matter which one you pick; I chose the bottom right corner.

The sum of the angles in any triangle is 180. So, we can label some of the missing angles: 180 - 90 - ? = 90 - ?

Finally, the last angle we don't know is the third angle of the top, smallest triangle. Its other two angles are 90 and 90-? .So, the third angle is 180-90-(90-?) = ?.

Check out the three triangles in that image: the one on the top, the one on the right, and the larger one that encompasses the other two. All three of them have exactly the same set of angles: ?, 90, and 90-?. Therefore, all three are similar to each other.

However, I don't think that's what the folks posting in this thread actually did! After all, that would be time consuming. To save time next time, you can just memorize a rule of thumb: if you draw a straight line across a triangle (parallel to one of its bases), the resulting triangle is similar to the original. For example, this image shows two similar triangles:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Vinayak013 wrote:

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Triangles are similar if they have similar angles /sides. In this cases triangle with a square inside it . We need to prove 3points to make triangles similar (SAS,SSS,AAA,ASA)
Here we have ASA
1)A =90degree similar
2)S=both triangles have hypotenuse (both are right angle triangles)
3)A=both triangles share same top corner angle .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
ccooley Thanks a lot i understand it now :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts