Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [14]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]
Kudos
BARUAH wrote:
E.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

right, using POE, only C and E are left. E i much better than C.
This question can still be one of gmat-like question and it is still a good question from LSAT.
broall, pls edit the source,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]
IMO OA is E

(A) People with high incomes are consistently more satisfied with their incomes than are people in the middle class.
-> incorrect. Passage argues that amount of income is not strongly correlaed with satisfaction.
(B) Older people are generally more satisfied with their incomes than are younger people.
-> Out of scope
(C) Satisfaction with income is strongly correlated with neighborhood.
-> This is just a fact. It cannot be the support
(D) In general, people's income levels have little effect on their level of satisfaction with life as a whole.
-> Out of scope.
We cannot know that income levels have little effect on satisfaction.
(E) An increase in everyone's incomes is not likely to greatly increase people's levels of satisfaction with their own incomes.
-> Correct
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for your explanations!

To post specific questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Thanks for your explanations!

To post specific questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

Hi GMATNinjaTwo,

I don't agree with the OA. If a person's salary increases by 50% while that of his neighbours' increase only by 5%, making him richer than most neighbours, then as per the argument he will be satisfied with his income. "Not likely" in option E is a relative term that can't be casually used without a figure (percentage/absolute).

On the other hand option C correctly states the correlation between neighbours and salary. IMHO the answer should be C.

Please correct me as to where am I going wrong?

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Akela wrote:
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfaction with their incomes is not strongly correlated with the amount they make. People tend to live in neighborhoods of people from their same economic class, and the study shows that people's satisfaction with their incomes depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following hypotheses?

(A) People with high incomes are consistently more satisfied with their incomes than are people in the middle class.
(B) Older people are generally more satisfied with their incomes than are younger people.
(C) Satisfaction with income is strongly correlated with neighborhood.
(D) In general, people's income levels have little effect on their level of satisfaction with life as a whole.
(E) An increase in everyone's incomes is not likely to greatly increase people's levels of satisfaction with their own incomes.

Source: LSAT

A - use of words like consistently and middle class makes this option too broad and vague. NO.

B - Irrelevant. NO.

C - This might seem like a good candidate, but claiming that the satisfaction with income is strongly correlated with neighbourhood makes it a tad out of scope. The question could be made harder by saying satisfaction with income is correlated with the economic class of the neighbourhood. So, NO.

D - Too broad and out of scope. NO.

E - While a disproportionate increase in the level of income might make someone more happy/satisfied than someone else from the same neighbourhood, since we've eliminated other options this one has to be seen within the context and hence the best choice.

Also, comparing the the last part of the statement: depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors, and second part of option E: not likely to greatly increase, makes E an obvious choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]
Question Type:
Inference (Most Strongly Supported)

Stimulus Breakdown:
We know the following from a large study:
1. People's satisfaction with their income is not correlated with the amount of money they make.
2. People tend to live in neighborhoods of people from their same economic class.
3. People's satisfaction with their income depends largely on how favorably their income compares with that of their neighbors.

Answer Anticipation:
Tough to predict what the right answer will say.

Correct Answer:
(E)

Answer Choice Analysis:
(A) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(B) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(C) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(D) is out of scope. The information touches on satisfaction with income, not with satisfaction with life as a whole.

(E) is correct. If everyone's income were to increase, one's relative position compared to one's neighbors would be unchanged.

Takeaway/Pattern: Reasoning Structure: Comparison

Originally posted by akela on 30 Jan 2018, 10:49.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 03 Feb 2018, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
removed quote formatting
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
"study shows that people's satisfaction with their incomes depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors."-

satisfaction comes from knowing you're better off when you're making more money than your neighbors.If everyone's rich,then no one's richer and people lose their sense of eletism, consequently, satisfaction.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts