GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 16:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:09) correct 41% (01:06) wrong based on 229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfaction with their incomes is not strongly correlated with the amount they make. People tend to live in neighborhoods of people from their same economic class, and the study shows that people's satisfaction with their incomes depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following hypotheses?

(A) People with high incomes are consistently more satisfied with their incomes than are people in the middle class.
(B) Older people are generally more satisfied with their incomes than are younger people.
(C) Satisfaction with income is strongly correlated with neighborhood.
(D) In general, people's income levels have little effect on their level of satisfaction with life as a whole.
(E) An increase in everyone's incomes is not likely to greatly increase people's levels of satisfaction with their own incomes.

Source: LSAT

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 20:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Akela wrote:
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfaction with their incomes is not strongly correlated with the amount they make. People tend to live in neighborhoods of people from their same economic class, and the study shows that people's satisfaction with their incomes depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following hypotheses?

(A) People with high incomes are consistently more satisfied with their incomes than are people in the middle class.
(B) Older people are generally more satisfied with their incomes than are younger people.
(D) In general, people's income levels have little effect on their level of satisfaction with life as a whole.
(E) An increase in everyone's incomes is not likely to greatly increase people's levels of satisfaction with their own incomes.

A - Stem talks about neighborhood and income so irrelevant.
B - No information about age and income satisfaction.
C - Very close but too extreme ( strongly correlated)
D - Stem says not strongly correlated but doesn't say as a whole little effect.
E - Correct answer. As per stem, satisfaction is based on neighorhood income comparison. So increase in everyone's income may not impact their satisfaction( pay attention to not likely - Not talking about extremes)

Kudos are always welcome.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 22:54
BARUAH wrote:
E.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

right, using POE, only C and E are left. E i much better than C.
This question can still be one of gmat-like question and it is still a good question from LSAT.
broall, pls edit the source,
Manager
Manager
B
Re: A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 05:52
IMO OA is E

-> incorrect. Passage argues that amount of income is not strongly correlaed with satisfaction.
-> Out of scope
-> This is just a fact. It cannot be the support
-> Out of scope.
We cannot know that income levels have little effect on satisfaction.
-> Correct
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 15:35
Thanks for your explanations!

To post specific questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 13:50
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Thanks for your explanations!

To post specific questions, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

Hi GMATNinjaTwo,

I don't agree with the OA. If a person's salary increases by 50% while that of his neighbours' increase only by 5%, making him richer than most neighbours, then as per the argument he will be satisfied with his income. "Not likely" in option E is a relative term that can't be casually used without a figure (percentage/absolute).

On the other hand option C correctly states the correlation between neighbours and salary. IMHO the answer should be C.

Please correct me as to where am I going wrong?

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Akela wrote:

A - use of words like consistently and middle class makes this option too broad and vague. NO.

B - Irrelevant. NO.

C - This might seem like a good candidate, but claiming that the satisfaction with income is strongly correlated with neighbourhood makes it a tad out of scope. The question could be made harder by saying satisfaction with income is correlated with the economic class of the neighbourhood. So, NO.

D - Too broad and out of scope. NO.

E - While a disproportionate increase in the level of income might make someone more happy/satisfied than someone else from the same neighbourhood, since we've eliminated other options this one has to be seen within the context and hence the best choice.

Also, comparing the the last part of the statement: depends largely on how favorably their incomes compare with those of their neighbors, and second part of option E: not likely to greatly increase, makes E an obvious choice.
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 19:05
gmatexam439 wrote:

Hi GMATNinjaTwo,

I don't agree with the OA. If a person's salary increases by 50% while that of his neighbours' increase only by 5%, making him richer than most neighbours, then as per the argument he will be satisfied with his income. "Not likely" in option E is a relative term that can't be casually used without a figure (percentage/absolute).

On the other hand option C correctly states the correlation between neighbours and salary. IMHO the answer should be C.

Please correct me as to where am I going wrong?

Regards

Regarding choice (E), it does not say that some people's salaries will go up a lot (i.e. 50%) while some people's salaries will only go up a little (i.e. 5%). If that were the case then, yes, we would expect the people who enjoyed the larger increase to be more satisfied.

But choice (E) says "an increase in everyone's incomes." If my salary goes up, say, 10% but the salaries of my neighbors also go up by approximately the same amount, then I won't feel any richer RELATIVE to my neighbors. For example, if my salary was close to the average of that of my neighbors BEFORE the increase, then it would probably still be close to the average AFTER everyone's salaries go up. I'm now making more money, but compared to my neighbors, my position hasn't improved. According to the argument, my satisfaction will not increase in that case.

Sure, it is possible that some people's salaries increased by a lot while some people's salaries increased by only a little, but choice (E) does not give us enough detail to assume this very specific scenario. Without such detail, we can only analyze the general scenario in which everyone's salaries go up. True, we don't know whether everyone's salaries are going up by the same percentage, but if EVERYONE'S salaries are increasing, then it is UNLIKELY that my satisfaction is going to GREATLY increase.... it's possible but not likely.

As for choice (C), it talks about NEIGHBORHOODS, not neighbors. If this statement were true, it would suggest that people in some neighborhoods are more satisfied than people in other neighborhoods. According to the argument, the neighborhood you live in doesn't matter so much. No matter where you live, your neighbors are LIKELY to be people from the same economic class. So your satisfaction doesn't depend on WHICH neighborhood you live in but rather on how your salary compares to that of other people in your neighborhood.

Yes, it is true that you could theoretically move from neighborhood X to a poorer neighborhood (Y) to increase your satisfaction. But that doesn't mean that people in neighborhood Y are generally more satisfied than people in neighborhood X. According to the argument, average satisfaction should be about the same in both neighborhoods.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Feb 2018, 13:50
Question Type:
Inference (Most Strongly Supported)

Stimulus Breakdown:
We know the following from a large study:
1. People's satisfaction with their income is not correlated with the amount of money they make.
2. People tend to live in neighborhoods of people from their same economic class.
3. People's satisfaction with their income depends largely on how favorably their income compares with that of their neighbors.

Answer Anticipation:
Tough to predict what the right answer will say.

Correct Answer:
(E)

Answer Choice Analysis:
(A) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(B) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(C) is contradicted by the information in the study.

(D) is out of scope. The information touches on satisfaction with income, not with satisfaction with life as a whole.

(E) is correct. If everyone's income were to increase, one's relative position compared to one's neighbors would be unchanged.

Takeaway/Pattern: Reasoning Structure: Comparison

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

Originally posted by Akela on 30 Jan 2018, 10:49.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 03 Feb 2018, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
removed quote formatting
A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2018, 10:49

A study of 20,000 20- to 64-year-olds found that people 's satisfactio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap