Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 20:39 It is currently 11 May 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Admit With Scholarship Last year-WL This Year? Help??? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
James,

I understand, but don't let your emotions cloud your proactive, positive pursuit of a place in the coming class. Keep your eyes on the prize and just jump through the hoops they put up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I received the official notice of the ding today.
I am clueless as to what happened. This does not make any sense to me whatsoever. It doesn't make any sense to anyone I have spoken to..I e-mailed the actual dean of the school a little earlier today. I am looking for some answers. I do not think what they did to me was right or even ethical (the admissions officer advised me I could be deferred but may not get a scholarship)

Regardless, from your experience, do you have any idea as to what could have happened? This just does not make any sense.
I am trying to get some answers and some closure..

Jim
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jim,

Since your situation is so unusual, I wouldn't want to speculate at their reasons. I think it's something you should follow up on with the school (in a respectful way) and tell ask them, given the circumstances of your case, if they would consider shedding more light on the specific reasons behind your ding. It's OK to tell them that this meant a great deal to you, but I would leave the "unethical" language out for now.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Paul,

Here is an update. I e-mailed the Dean two weeks ago and he talked to the adcom...She called me on Tuesday and they offered me admission. However, when I asked the adcom why I didn't get in this year and got in last year, they said they had a new criteria..placeability...Last year it was basically GMAT GPA, and essays..They just had concerns about me being able to move into finance from my current position.

It may seem crazy that I am having reservations about going now since I fought to get in, but since she said there may be issues regarding placeability, I am wondering if it is the right move, especially since I will be around 70k in debt due to no scholarship this year. I told them I would need to think about it, and I e-mailed her today telling her I want to meet with Career Services regarding my placeability to see if those issues can be overcome. I also think my age may be a factor in terms of placeability-making a switch after 30..(will be 30 in May) I currently have a non-finance job at an insurance company..

In between being put on the waitlist and the appeal on the ding, I picked up USNEWS and World Report and looked at the web sites for schools ranked 25 and above..I needed ones that didn't require recommenders (since it was too late for me to get any) and ones for which the application deadline didn't pass..Ifound only two..LSU and Missouri-I sent apps to those schools..I know very little about those schools other than they are ranked around Katz according to US News and have GMAT scores as high or higher than Katz..I am not looking to make a ton of money-just looking for job happiness and a career switch.

Maybe I should just forget about this whole dream.

Any thoughts/comments...might it be hard for me to make the switch into finance due to the fact I am older and do not have any prior finance experience?

Jim
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the update. It will certainly be tougher for you to make the switch, given your age and the current economic climate, but not impossible. I suppose depends on how badly you want it and how much short-term sacrifice your're willing to make to achieve the switch. I think of Katz as a better school than Missouri or LSU, and I would it has better placement success given its location than Missouri or LSU, which might only be able to help you in their regions. You need to figure out what you really want, and relatively soon since Katz may not want to wait around.
GMAT Club Bot