Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
sahilvijay wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in the United States. Plastic bags present a problem for the environment because they do not readily decompose, but will remain intact for thousands of years. Policy makers agree that the best solution to the problem is to convince people to bring their own shopping bags so that they do not need disposable plastic bags. Therefore, the U.S. government should implement a tax on disposable plastic bags because this will have the desired effect of dramatically decreasing the number of plastic bags discarded each day in the United States.

Which of the following provides the strongest reason to believe that the plan to levy a tax on disposable plastic bags will be successful in greatly reducing the number of plastic bags being discarded?

(A) A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year. -Correct. If this move has worked in several countries, then it might prove to be beneficial in the talked about country also.

(B) Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded. -We are discussing the implementation of the new tax and not about the old tax.

(C) Some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive. -Such people will always be there. We need to concentrate on the majority.

(D) The bill has substantial support with the Congressional delegations of many states and with the current administration. -We are not worried about the support. We need to focus on the reduction in the number of plastic bags because of the implementation of the bill.

(E) The bill could be implemented and the tax collected using a very simple addition to the programming of electronic cash registers. -We are not worried about the collection of tax.

HI gmatexam439

I have a small doubt ,
In option A we used analogy of some other country that if some plan worked there , it may work here.
Can we use this analogy - I ignored this only because i solved one assumption ques , which i got correct ,and ignored option E in that ques because it was talking about similar cities and similar legislation etc,... have a look and kindly clear my doubt - i was in impression that for strengthen IF SOME PLAN HAS WORKED IN SOME PLACE - IT IS NOT NECESSARY it will work here .
Similarly - as we know If some data is true for last 10 years - it may not be true for next upcoming years.
Kindly explain...

here is the link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/ten-years-ag ... 99609.html

Hi sahilvijay,

This is not a written rule that analogies are wrong.

Out of 5 options which ever strengthens or weakens the most is the correct answer.

In our question at hand no other option strengthens the argument better than the OA.

Similarly in the question, whose link you posted, the option D is better choice than E because that closes the gap in the argument.

Never assume anything while solving the questions. Always look at all the 5 choices. Always remember that you are looking for 4 wrong choices.

If you read such a rule somewhere i suggest you to scrap that source.

I hope it helped!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
gmatexam439 wrote:
sahilvijay wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in the United States. Plastic bags present a problem for the environment because they do not readily decompose, but will remain intact for thousands of years. Policy makers agree that the best solution to the problem is to convince people to bring their own shopping bags so that they do not need disposable plastic bags. Therefore, the U.S. government should implement a tax on disposable plastic bags because this will have the desired effect of dramatically decreasing the number of plastic bags discarded each day in the United States.

Which of the following provides the strongest reason to believe that the plan to levy a tax on disposable plastic bags will be successful in greatly reducing the number of plastic bags being discarded?

(A) A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year. -Correct. If this move has worked in several countries, then it might prove to be beneficial in the talked about country also.

(B) Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded. -We are discussing the implementation of the new tax and not about the old tax.

(C) Some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive. -Such people will always be there. We need to concentrate on the majority.

(D) The bill has substantial support with the Congressional delegations of many states and with the current administration. -We are not worried about the support. We need to focus on the reduction in the number of plastic bags because of the implementation of the bill.

(E) The bill could be implemented and the tax collected using a very simple addition to the programming of electronic cash registers. -We are not worried about the collection of tax.

HI gmatexam439

I have a small doubt ,
In option A we used analogy of some other country that if some plan worked there , it may work here.
Can we use this analogy - I ignored this only because i solved one assumption ques , which i got correct ,and ignored option E in that ques because it was talking about similar cities and similar legislation etc,... have a look and kindly clear my doubt - i was in impression that for strengthen IF SOME PLAN HAS WORKED IN SOME PLACE - IT IS NOT NECESSARY it will work here .
Similarly - as we know If some data is true for last 10 years - it may not be true for next upcoming years.
Kindly explain...

here is the link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/ten-years-ag ... 99609.html

Hi sahilvijay,

This is not a written rule that analogies are wrong.

Out of 5 options which ever strengthens or weakens the most is the correct answer.

In our question at hand no other option strengthens the argument better than the OA.

Similarly in the question, whose link you posted, the option D is better choice than E because that closes the gap in the argument.

Never assume anything while solving the questions. Always look at all the 5 choices. Always remember that you are looking for 4 wrong choices.

If you read such a rule somewhere i suggest you to scrap that source.

I hope it helped!!

""I have a doubt with the option "B" and "A". "B" states that financial incentives have not worked as planned; which is eliminating any alternate solution therefore it strengthens the argument. While option "A" states that just because some pattern occurred in other country the same will happen in the given country; which is totally absurd. We can't compare the shopping habits of a person in India with those of a person in Italy""
'

you wrote this para ,which is mentioned above

Kindly explain one more thing- Just like we are assuming a possibility -> if some other country implemented the plan and that plan worked -> this plan will work here.
Cant we think think this way->
B) Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded.
So may be we have seen a small decrease in giving credit of 5 cents ( customer are not bothered by credit may be they will be bothered when they will be debited with tax-> CHANCES are there => what if-- by taxing the plan will succeed....=>
Explain??
Send PM
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
sahilvijay wrote:

""I have a doubt with the option "B" and "A". "B" states that financial incentives have not worked as planned; which is eliminating any alternate solution therefore it strengthens the argument. While option "A" states that just because some pattern occurred in other country the same will happen in the given country; which is totally absurd. We can't compare the shopping habits of a person in India with those of a person in Italy""
'

Kindly explain one more thing- Just like we are assuming a possibility -> if some other country implemented the plan and that plan worked -> this plan will work here.
B) Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded.
So may be we have seen a small decrease in giving credit of 5 cents ( customer are not bothered by credit may be they will be bothered when they will be debited with tax-> CHANCES are there => what if-- by taxing the plan will succeed....=>
Explain??

Hi,

I wrote that statement on 8 May, while my second explanation was written on 2 Nov. While attempting the question on 2 Nov I didn't even remember that I had solved this particular problem earlier. I understood the nuances with time and hence could answer the question correctly later.
--In fact, I noticed my above doubt that you have quoted in red, when you posted your previous post.

As for option B, it can't strengthen the argument. There are 2 reasons for that:
1. Current incentives are out of scope as we are discussing about a plan yet to be implemented.
2. Even if you think that it is in the scope of argument - that I would say you are overthinking - it would weaken the argument. If incentives in past didn't change the nature of the people, there is no guarantee that the future plan will be successful.

Also, you can interpret option B the way you have stated. Thus, you can say that as per the understanding in my point 2 above we can have a negative outcome or as per the understanding stated by you we can have a positive outcome. Since, we can interpret both + and - from the same statement; it can never be a good strengthener.

Albeit, I would say again, option B is out of scope.

My suggestion: Don't overthink on a single option. You should evaluate only the events those are being talked about in the argument.

Again I would say that "you are always searching for 4 wrong choices". Keep that in mind.

I hope this helps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
sahilvijay wrote:

'

Explain??

Hi,

I wrote that statement on 8 May, while my second explanation was written on 2 Nov. While attempting the question on 2 Nov I didn't even remember that I had solved this particular problem earlier. I understood the nuances with time and hence could answer the question correctly later.
--In fact, I noticed my above doubt that you have quoted in red, when you posted your previous post.

As for option B, it can't strengthen the argument. There are 2 reasons for that:
1. Current incentives are out of scope as we are discussing about a plan yet to be implemented.
2. Even if you think that it is in the scope of argument - that I would say you are overthinking - it would weaken the argument. If incentives in past didn't change the nature of the people, there is no guarantee that the future plan will be successful.

Also, you can interpret option B the way you have stated. Thus, you can say that as per the understanding in my point 2 above we can have a negative outcome or as per the understanding stated by you we can have a positive outcome. Since, we can interpret both + and - from the same statement; it can never be a good strengthener.

Albeit, I would say again, option B is out of scope.

My suggestion: Don't overthink on a single option. You should evaluate only the events those are being talked about in the argument.

Again I would say that "you are always searching for 4 wrong choices". Keep that in mind.

I hope this helps !!

Thanks man.. :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V33
Send PM
Inorder for A to be right we are making one major assumption that people In European countries will behave the same way as do the American people, or rather the conditions in USA are the same conditions in Europe. In the absence of that C will be the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V33
Send PM
Inorder for A to be right we are making one major assumption that people In European countries will behave the same way as do the American people, or rather the conditions in USA are the same conditions in Europe. In the absence of that C will be the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts