It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 94

Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:20) correct 32% (02:04) wrong based on 392 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, new legislation to protect the interests of local non-franchise restaurants. Of the 120 local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury today, 85 opened during the last ten years. Clearly the Culinary Bill has caused a surge in the number of local non-franchise restaurants operating in Salisbury over the past ten years.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) The Culinary Bill provides no benefit to restaurants that are members of national franchise chains

B) Most of the consumers in Salisbury who patronize these local restaurants are aware of the provisions of the Culinary Bill and approve of them.

C) All economic indicators suggest that household incomes in Salisbury have risen substantially over the past ten years.

D) Of the local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury ten years ago, fewer than 85 have closed.

E) Similar legislation in similar sized cities across the country has, in most cases, led to an increase in the number of local non-franchise restaurants.

Please give kudos if you like the question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 94

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 11:04
tia2112 wrote:
Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, new legislation to protect the interests of local non-franchise restaurants. Of the 120 local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury today, 85 opened during the last ten years. Clearly the Culinary Bill has caused a surge in the number of local non-franchise restaurants operating in Salisbury over the past ten years.

A) The Culinary Bill provides no benefit to restaurants that are members of national franchise chains

B) Most of the consumers in Salisbury who patronize these local restaurants are aware of the provisions of the Culinary Bill and approve of them.

C) All economic indicators suggest that household incomes in Salisbury have risen substantially over the past ten years.

D) Of the local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury ten years ago, fewer than 85 have closed.

E) Similar legislation in similar sized cities across the country has, in most cases, led to an increase in the number of local non-franchise restaurants.

Please give kudos if you like the question

A) Members of national franchise chains are out of scope.
B) Consumers are out of scope, we talk about owners
C) Household incomes? So what?
D) Correct! If more that 85 restaurants have closed there is no surge in the number of local non-franchise restaurants. For example, imagine that all 85 restaurants have closed after first year. All restaurants should operate.
E) Similar legislation in similar cities are out of scope.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 349

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 02:23
HKD1710 here we go.
Here is a truncation of your DA theory in.
Here the answer is not negative. (it could be rephrased to be)
Here The trap is that if you had taken the rule as supreme then you'd chose a wrong answer.
In fact the only negated option is a most sought after wrong answer.
Sweet one from magoosh.

Dear Mr Dubey, pls chime in while I tally.

Posted from my mobile device

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 02:24
HKD1710 here we go.
Here The trap is that if you had taken the rule as supreme then you'd chose a wrong answer.
Sweet one from magoosh.

1 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 488 [1], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

Nez wrote:
HKD1710 here we go.
Sweet one from magoosh.

Hey Nez,

I am Happy to help my friend (saying Mike's style) :P

Analysis:

Question type : Defender Assumption Question

Argument:

Background information : Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, new legislation to protect the interests of local non-franchise restaurants.

Premise: Of the 120 local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury today, 85 opened during the last ten years.

Conclusion: Clearly the Culinary Bill has caused a surge in the number of local non-franchise restaurants operating in Salisbury over the past ten years

Strategy to solve this question:

1) start evaluating the choices which have a negative word in them.

2) Correct choice should defend the conclusion from breaking apart by possible attack.

3) Keywords : 10 Years time, Number of non-franchise restaurants. the correct choice should relate to these keywords either directly or logically.

For example if profit is the keyword from argument then correct choice would talk about either profit (directly) OR Revenue (logically).

4) Negation test - only when you are not too sure OR when you have time or you are able to do negation test very fast.

After scanning the choices only (A) is one that has a negative keyword. so pick it and then go with other choices one by one.

A) The Culinary Bill provides no benefit to restaurants that are members of national franchise chains - Wrong
Here NO is the negative word. But this choice is just not in the scope of the argument. Benifit and national franchise chains are not key component of the argument and not even discussed at all.

B) Most of the consumers in Salisbury who patronize these local restaurants are aware of the provisions of the Culinary Bill and approve of them. - Wrong
Again Awarenesss of customers are not the concern in the argument. Interest of local non-frenchise is important.

A rise in the household income may help customer to go to the restaurants quite often but who knows if they go to non-frainchise restaurants only.

D) Of the local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury ten years ago, fewer than 85 have closed. - Right
You (council official) opened 85 and boast hey because of that bill 85 OPENED. wow great! BUT someone comes and tell hey dont be that happy there were 90 restaurants that CLOSED. So this is one possible situation in which conclusion would fall apart. And this is nothing but the negation of your assumption.
This is why to DEFEND you have to show this guy the right picture. Just speak the phrase from this choice and shut him up.

E) Similar legislation in similar sized cities across the country has, in most cases, led to an increase in the number of local non-franchise restaurants. - Wrong
this is the standard wrong choice. what works for other cities may not work for Salisbury. why? well! the chains might not be too interested to open restaurants in that city because of less profit or any othe factors (there are plenty).

Here is a Note that i wrote to help you understand that it is good to be positive about NEGATIVE word in a choice for a DA question but not DEPEND completely on it:

Quote:
Your finding is correct. What you have noticed is correct. The fact that "Choices having NEGATIVE words are likely to be correct" is true ONLY for DAs. WHY? Because whenever you as a author would try to defend you would SAY "NO" i.e. use some negative word in the ATTACK statement of critique.

So Mr Nez, You can mistake on reading part of the theory once but if you commit the same mistake again and again it will take the toll. :P Go through all that i wrote on last question where you learnt all this and then let me know if there is still some part that is not true or applicable.

Bring more questions like this on My friend :) :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 08:37
HKD1710 wrote:
Quote:

Nez wrote:
HKD1710 here we go.
Sweet one from magoosh.

Hey Nez,

Analysis:

Argument:

Background information : Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, new legislation to protect the interests of local non-franchise restaurants.

Premise: Of the 120 local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury today, 85 opened during the last ten years.

Conclusion: Clearly the Culinary Bill has caused a surge in the number of local non-franchise restaurants operating in Salisbury over the past ten years

2) Correct choice should defend the conclusion from breaking apart by possible attack.

3) Keywords : 10 Years time, Number of non-franchise restaurants. the correct choice should relate to these keywords either directly or logically.

For example if profit is the keyword from argument then correct choice would talk about either profit (directly) OR Revenue (logically).

4) Negation test - only when you are not too sure OR when you have time or you are able to do negation test very fast.

After scanning the choices only (A) is one that has a negative keyword. so pick it and then go with other choices one by one.

A) The Culinary Bill provides no benefit to restaurants that are members of national franchise chains - Wrong
Here NO is the negative word. But this choice is just not in the scope of the argument. Benifit and national franchise chains are not key component of the argument and not even discussed at all.

B) Most of the consumers in Salisbury who patronize these local restaurants are aware of the provisions of the Culinary Bill and approve of them. - Wrong
Again Awarenesss of customers are not the concern in the argument. Interest of local non-frenchise is important.

A rise in the household income may help customer to go to the restaurants quite often but who knows if they go to non-frainchise restaurants only.

D) Of the local non-franchise restaurants in Salisbury ten years ago, fewer than 85 have closed. - Right
You (council official) opened 85 and boast hey because of that bill 85 OPENED. wow great! BUT someone comes and tell hey dont be that happy there were 90 restaurants that CLOSED. So this is one possible situation in which conclusion would fall apart. And this is nothing but the negation of your assumption.
This is why to DEFEND you have to show this guy the right picture. Just speak the phrase from this choice and shut him up.

E) Similar legislation in similar sized cities across the country has, in most cases, led to an increase in the number of local non-franchise restaurants. - Wrong
this is the standard wrong choice. what works for other cities may not work for Salisbury. why? well! the chains might not be too interested to open restaurants in that city because of less profit or any othe factors (there are plenty).

Here is a Note that i wrote to help you understand that it is good to be positive about NEGATIVE word in a choice for a DA question but not DEPEND completely on it:

Quote:
Your finding is correct. What you have noticed is correct. The fact that "Choices having NEGATIVE words are likely to be correct" is true ONLY for DAs. WHY? Because whenever you as a author would try to defend you would SAY "NO" i.e. use some negative word in the ATTACK statement of critique.

So Mr Nez, You can mistake on reading part of the theory once but if you commit the same mistake again and again it will take the toll. :P Go through all that i wrote on last question where you learnt all this and then let me know if there is still some part that is not true or applicable.

Good one.
If the DA theory wasn't sensible, believe me I wouldnt be this particular with it.
I like the idea though it's not full proof

1 KUDOS received
D

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

Good one.
If the DA theory wasn't sensible, believe me I wouldnt be this particular with it.

Nez,

I am able to apply it in all questions because i keep the complete theory in mind. It's just the application of principles. when we apply some theory we keep IFs and BUTs in mind along with the limitation of one part over another from the same theory.

Hope it helps you to improve. Ping me anytime you when you see you are not able to apply it to a GMAT question.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 10:05
HKD1710 wrote:
Quote:

Good one.

Nez,

I am able to apply it in all questions because i keep the complete theory in mind. It's just the application of principles. when we apply some theory we keep IFs and BUTs in mind along with the limitation of one part over another from the same theory.

Hope it helps you to improve. Ping me anytime you when you see you are not able to apply it to a GMAT question.

I've got Mr Dubey. look at me.
**hugs**

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 06:38
Friends, Romans and countrymen. I can just do this question by process of elimination and not get into understanding the approach.
Which i used to do and got beaten when i gave the GMAT. So I am giving another attempt at GMAT.
Enough about me

This is about national franchise,but we do not are not bothered. As I say DKDC- "Don't Know Don't Care"

Most approve of them. Even if they did not i Don't Care.The provisions will come into Action. DKDC

Household income increase will i eat outside.No I save my pennies i may or may not.

So what do i do about E. IT is other country. DKDC. I am bothered about where i live. which is here.

So D is the answer. But not a good approach.

HKD1710 has given a good explanation. Follow his soln not mine

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1358

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 10:51
this is an important pattern in gmat, test takers should learn this.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 06:59
HKD1710 wrote:
Quote:

Nez wrote:
HKD1710 here we go.
Sweet one from magoosh.

Hey Nez,

Analysis:

Argument:

Quote:

Even if fewer than 85 have closed, say 84. This will actually weaken the argument right?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 14:16
ashikshetty wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Quote:

Nez wrote:
HKD1710 here we go.
Sweet one from magoosh.

Hey Nez,

Analysis:

Argument:

Quote:

Even if fewer than 85 have closed, say 84. This will actually weaken the argument right?

No, D is an assumption for the conclusion of the argument b/c the bill does help the opening of new franchise restaurants. Also, such pattern in D regularly appears in gmat prep and the official exam. Test takers should know this.

Re: Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2017, 14:16

Ten years ago, the Salisbury City Council passed the Culinary Bill, ne

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap