Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rhine29388 wrote:
getting confused between choices a and e still inclined more towards choice a

Choice A: A Personal pronoun (subject or object) must have a noun as an antecedent. Possessive nouns function as adjectives and hence cannot act as antecedents of personal pronouns. In this option her is a personal pronoun (object) and hence Agatha Christie's, a possessive noun, cannot be its antecedent.

Choice E: However possessive adjectives [my, your, his, her, its, our, your (plural), their] may refer to possessive nouns, both being (or functioning as) adjectives. In this option her is a possessive adjective and therefore can refer to Agatha Christie's.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
rhine29388 wrote:
getting confused between choices a and e still inclined more towards choice a

Choice A: A Personal pronoun (subject or object) must have a noun as an antecedent. Possessive nouns function as adjectives and hence cannot act as antecedents of personal pronouns. In this option her is a personal pronoun (object) and hence Agatha Christie's, a possessive noun, cannot be its antecedent.

Choice E: However possessive adjectives [my, your, his, her, its, our, your (plural), their] may refer to possessive nouns, both being (or functioning as) adjectives. In this option her is a possessive adjective and therefore can refer to Agatha Christie's.

Agatha Christie's travels,with her archaeologist husband, inspired to write several of her mystery novels - Is this sentence correct? Here "HER" is used as a adjective which refers to Chirste (Possessive noun).

Agatha Christie's travels,with her archaeologist husband, inspired her to write mystery novels - Here the usage of "HER" is wrong. Since HER used here is a personal pronoun and it cannot refer a possessive noun. So the usage here is wrong.

Is my understanding correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 350
Send PM
Given Gmat itself doesn't withhold the object pronoun can't refer possessive noun ,can any expert please let me know if the original explaination for E over A still holds.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her [#permalink]
KarishmaB egmat RonTargetTestPrep

I always falter while evaluating meaning in SC. Do you have any suggestion of improving it?

Like for this question

(A) Agatha Christie's (adjective) travels with her archaeologist husband (phrase) inspired her to write several mystery novels
>> How can travel inspire? Eliminate!

(B) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
>> This seems correct. Eg. I used my keyboard to type this doubt. So it is not keyboard by itself typing similarly it is not that travel by itself inspiring but Agatha using her travel (memory) inspired her.

(E) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
Same logic as A + Novels cannot be inspired
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts