Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [33]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [11]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [5]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [4]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: As the cost of wireless service has steadily dropped over the last [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
a) phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which Wrong - "which" cannot be a relative pronoun for time. Time must be "in which", "that", or "when".

b) phones, instead using mobile phones to make long-distance calls during the night of weekends, during which Wrong - "instead using" is an idiom not used correctly; "during which" is redundant and imprecise.

c) phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when Correct

d) phones using mobile phones for making long-distance calls during the night or weekends, when Wrong - "using" cannot modify phones

e) phones when using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, a time which. Wrong - "when" cannot describe phones; "which" cannot modify a time.

IMO C
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: As the cost of wireless service has steadily dropped over the last [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
GMATNinja Just want to be crystal clear, but can "which" NOT be used to refer to time? Also, if time permits, would you please provide some feedback on my analysis? :please:

(A) phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which
(1) “which” can’t be used for time; (2) “for making” is unidiomatic – should be “to make”

(B) phones, instead using mobile phones to make long-distance calls during the night of weekends, during which
(1) “which” can’t be used for time; (2) is there anything wrong with "instead" here? Experts please help

(C) phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when
(1) “which” can’t be used for time;

(D) phones using mobile phones for making long-distance calls during the night or weekends, when
(1) “…on their home phones using mobiles phones…” – this is illogical and therefore, incorrect; (2) “for making” is unidiomatic – should be “to make”

(E) phones when using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, a time which
(1) “when” needs to modify a time, not “phones”; (2) “which” can’t be used for time;

I wouldn't make the blanket statement that "which" CANNOT be used to refer to time. It depends on the context. Here are a few examples with "which..." clauses that modify "time":

"Tim has some free time, which he feels guilty about wasting."
    "Time, which was thought to be constant, is actually relative, according to some guy named Albert."
    "The meeting will be postponed to a later time, which will be determined by the boss."

And here are some with "when..." clauses that modify "time":

"The meeting will be held at a time when all participants will be in town."
    "I look forward to a time when pizza can be 3D-printed at home."
    "I remember a time when pizza cost 10 cents a slice."

That said, you can kill both (A) and (B) for logic problems.

Quote:
(A) phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which many wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a small monthly fee.

At first glance, it looks like the companies are providing time itself. This is nonsense, and it makes the subsequent phrase confusing, at best. A company can provide airtime, but not the abstract notion of moments passing. So while "which" can theoretically refer to time, in (A) it produces a problematic meaning. This is enough to get rid of (A).

Quote:
(B) phones, instead using mobile phones to make long-distance calls during the night of weekends, during which

I'm not sure what a "night of weekends" is, but it sounds pretty fun. Are we cramming multiple weekends into a Thursday night? College students certainly try, but on the GMAT, this phrase is illogical.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
USADream wrote:
As the cost of wireless service has steadily dropped over the last year and as mobile phones have become increasingly common, many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which many wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a small monthly fee.

(A) phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which

(C) phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when

(D) phones using mobile phones for making long-distance calls during the night or weekends, when

(E) phones when using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, a time which

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja EducationAisle, given none of the post mentioned about the usage of 'ing' participle in option A here, I wanted to check if the 'ing' modifier is used here correctly and if yes what does it modifies?

When we see an "-ing" modifier following a full clause and a comma, we can assume that the "-ing" is describing the previous clause, giving us either a consequence of the previous action or context for that action.

Take another look at the relevant portion of (A):

Quote:
many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home [u]phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends

Here "using" appears to give us context for the previous action, informing us how people are avoiding toll charges. Makes sense to me. So I wouldn't eliminate (A) for this usage. (But, as others have noted, there's a problem with the phrase "at a time which," and this is the reason to get rid of the option.)

I hope that clears things up!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
USADream wrote:
As the cost of wireless service has steadily dropped over the last year and as mobile phones have become increasingly common, many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends, at a time which many wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a small monthly fee.

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja EducationAisle, given none of the post mentioned about the usage of 'ing' participle in option A here, I wanted to check if the 'ing' modifier is used here correctly and if yes what does it modifies?

No, I don't like the comma+ing in (A).
comma + ing is used to provide cause-effect relation or additional information about the previous subject/clause.
The sentence here intends to tell you that people are avoiding toll charges on home phones by using their mobile phones at opportune times. With a comma + ing that meaning is lost.

When adverbial phrases are used after the verb, we normally do not use a comma.

... many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones by using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends ...

The reason most people have ignored it is that "which/when" decision point is obvious. For a point in time, we use "when", not "which".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:

My question is would you reject an option SOLELY on this usage of verb-ing? I am just comparing it with the example I gave and it seems like verb-ing here is not a deterministic error. Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance!

VeritasKarishma

You don't need a comma before "using" in your example. We usually do not put a comma in such situations.
As for what constitutes a deterministic error, that depends on what options you have. Language and "rules" are flexible depending on what you want to convey and the best possible way available to convey it. That is why I often use words such as "usually", "often" etc when spelling out what is acceptable usage and what is not.
You have an added constraint of limited options in GMAT questions. Use them to your advantage. If a list of rules were all that were needed to ace SC, this type of questions would not have been tested on GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasKarishma wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:
USADream wrote:

No, I don't like the comma+ing in (A).
comma + ing is used to provide cause-effect relation or additional information about the previous subject/clause.
The sentence here intends to tell you that people are avoiding toll charges on home phones by using their mobile phones at opportune times. With a comma + ing that meaning is lost.

When adverbial phrases are used after the verb, we normally do not use a comma.

... many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones by using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends ...

The reason most people have ignored it is that "which/when" decision point is obvious. For a point in time, we use "when", not "which".

Hi Karishma,

Joe called his parent, using his new phone.

I think the above sentence is perfectly fine because the verb ing presents the additional information: How did Joe call? He called using his new phone.

And I think same is the case with the question's A part.

Main Qn: many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends

How can they avoid toll? By using....

My question is would you reject an option SOLELY on this usage of verb-ing? I am just comparing it with the example I gave and it seems like verb-ing here is not a deterministic error. Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance!

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Originally posted by ashmit99 on 24 May 2021, 00:33.
Last edited by ashmit99 on 25 May 2021, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
In Option C, if we change this highlighted portion
phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when

and convert this option into the following sentence(this change taken from option D)
phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls during the night or weekends, when

Will both the versions be correct?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
gaitbhu wrote:
In Option C, if we change this highlighted portion
phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when

and convert this option into the following sentence(this change taken from option D)
phones by using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls during the night or weekends, when

Will both the versions be correct?

Hello gaitbhu,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

IMHO, the modified version of the sentence would also present the same meaning.

However, I wonder what could be the significance of this modification.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
When you see the phrase ‘at a time which’ you should realise that this is incorrect.
‘When’ is the correct preposition of time that’s to be used here.

For this reason, we can eliminate Options A, B and E.

Option D is incorrect for ‘phones using mobile phones’ which is not the intended meaning.
Plus, there is also the unidiomatic ‘for’ used in this option. Eliminate.

Option C is the best option.

Hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMATNinja Just want to be crystal clear, but can "which" NOT be used to refer to time? Also, if time permits, would you please provide some feedback on my analysis? :please:

(1) “which” can’t be used for time; (2) “for making” is unidiomatic – should be “to make”

(1) “which” can’t be used for time; (2) is there anything wrong with "instead" here? Experts please help

(1) “which” can’t be used for time;

(1) “…on their home phones using mobiles phones…” – this is illogical and therefore, incorrect; (2) “for making” is unidiomatic – should be “to make”

(1) “when” needs to modify a time, not “phones”; (2) “which” can’t be used for time;
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
USADream wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:
USADream wrote:

When we see an "-ing" modifier following a full clause and a comma, we can assume that the "-ing" is describing the previous clause, giving us either a consequence of the previous action or context for that action.

Quote:
many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home [u]phones, using their mobile phones for making long-distance calls at night or on weekends

Here "using" appears to give us context for the previous action, informing us how people are avoiding toll charges. Makes sense to me. So I wouldn't eliminate (A) for this usage. (But, as others have noted, there's a problem with the phrase "at a time which," and this is the reason to get rid of the option.)

Thanks a lot GMATNinja for the clarification, can you confirm if option B would have dropped "by" and put a comma instead, phones, using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when it would have still be correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
RohitSaluja wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Thanks a lot GMATNinja for the clarification, can you confirm if option B would have dropped "by" and put a comma instead, phones, using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when it would have still be correct?

Dear RohitSaluja
I presume that you have modified option "C"; in this case, I would say that such construction would be arguably correct, with proviso.
Yes, adverbial modifier modifies entire clause and thus provides descriptive info how the result of savings can be achieved. Yet, because modifier set off by commas, we can drop it and thus lose the intended meaning.

....many people are finding that they can avoid toll charges on their home phones, using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls at night or on weekends, when many wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a small monthly fee.

Does the aforementioned version make sense ?)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:

Hello RohitSaluja,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; assuming you meant to say C rather than B, replacing "by" with a comma would produce a grammatically correct construction, though it would be slightly less clear than the original.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM

KarishmaB
Please help me to understand how to reject basis illogical meaning. How "at a time which" provides illogical meaning?

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:

KarishmaB
Please help me to understand how to reject basis illogical meaning. How "at a time which" provides illogical meaning?

Consider a simple example:

A can avoid B by doing C.
A can avoid B, doing C.

Which is better? The first sentence is clear in its meaning and it is the meaning we want to convey. The second sentence is not. The main clause seems incomplete and the relation of the modifier with the main clause is not clear.
Option (A) has the structure of the second sentence and hence it is not the best option.

To specify time, we use 'when.' When we want to talk about a particular point in time, we use 'when' as the relative pronoun. It can be replaced with 'then' in the modifying clause.

The time when you visited me was precious.
The time was precious. You visited me then.

We can replace 'when' with 'on which,' 'at which' or 'in which' as the case may be (though 'when' is direct and concise)
Examples:
The day on which you visited me was precious. (You visited me on that day)
The year in which you visited me was precious. (You visited me in that year)
The moment at which I saw you was memorable. (I saw you at that moment)

When we talk about the noun 'time,' we can use 'which'.

I will visit you some time in the future, a time which will be decided by my circumstances.

We need to replace 'which' with the noun 'time'. The time will be decided by my circumstances. We cannot replace it with 'then' here.

Hence, in our original sentence, the following two sentences will work:

... at night or on weekends, when many companies provide unlimited airtime.
many companies provide unlimited airtime then.

... at night or on weekends, a time at which many companies provide unlimited airtime. (less preferable)
many companies provide unlimited airtime at that time.

But this sentence will not work:
... at night or on weekends, at a time which many companies provide unlimited airtime.
Here, 'which' is replacing 'a time' not 'at a time.'

So it becomes 'many companies provide unlimited airtime a time' - Incorrect.

The preposition 'at' is a part of the previous clause. So something like this could work:
People can call at night, on weekends, or at a time at which many companies provide unlimited airtime.
though preferable would be
People can call at night, on weekends, or at a time when many companies provide unlimited airtime.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts