Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619763 [108]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14676 [109]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [7]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing[/u] and the rest serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling intruders.

(A) As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing
Illogical Comparison. Ant should be compared to termites.
reproducing and serve - is not parallel

(B) As do ants, termites have an elaborate social structure, which includes a few individuals to reproduce
Here again Illogical comparison.
Ant is doing sthng.... and Termites have sthng - is compared. Incorrect.
Reproduce and serve - is used in parallel structure here.

(C) Just as with ants, termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals for reproducing
Comparison seems to be illogical.
SAME parallelism error as in A.

(D) Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce
Logical Comparison & Correct Parallelism used here.
Logical Comparison - Ant is compared to termite
Parallelism - reproducer & serve is parallel

(E) Like that of ants, the termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals that reproduce
Here the comparison is illogical
Termite Social Structure is compared with Ant Social Structure.

IMO - D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing and the rest serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling intruders.

It is possible to solve this question readily from the point of parallelism. However, if any doubt arises between two choices, we can look forward to additional errors thereof and corroborate the correct answer.

Let us now take the other point of the use of 'with' in this topic.
The preposition 'with' often indicates an element of physical accompaniment and hence may be more suited when such physical accompaniment is sensible. However, in the case of abstract things, such as emotions, it might be difficult to establish physical accompaniment.

Simultaneously, we can also look whether a proper comparison is in place.

(A) As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites --- Here it looks as though the elaborate social structure of termites is joining hands with the ants. A social structure joining hands with an animal is rather strange. It may even imply that the social stucture is elaborate when it is with ants.

(B) As do ants, termites have an elaborate social structure, which includes a few individuals to reproduce ---Termites ' have' is just linking verb that indicates a state of being, while as ants do is an action verb. Conjugating them is rather odd.

(C) Just as with ants, termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals for reproducing --. This leads to the doubt that the termite social culture is elaborate only when it is with ants. This is rather odd.

(D) Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce -- a straight compariosn between two animals. Good

(E) Like that of ants, the termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals that reproduce --- There is no such branded culture as the termite social culture. We must say that the social structure of termites
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing and the rest serve the colony by tending juveniles, gathering food, building the nest, or battling intruders.

(A) As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing

(B) As do ants, termites have an elaborate social structure, which includes a few individuals to reproduce

(C) Just as with ants, termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals for reproducing

(D) Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce

(E) Like that of ants, the termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals that reproduce

Similar Question from Verbal Review : LINK

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(SC03014)

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep

1- In choice A, there are lots of problems. But I wonder if the construction 'As with ants' is correct per se? or should be 'As in ants'? or both are ok?

Can you elaborate please?

2- In choice E, does 'that' in the phrase 'that of ants' refer to anything?

3- Is 'including' in options C & E correct? I feel that there is no whole entity to present any example of it. So I think it is incorrect here.

Thanks in advance
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep

1- In choice A, there are lots of problems. But I wonder if the construction 'As with ants' is correct per se? or should be 'As in ants'? or both are ok?

Can you elaborate please?

"As with ants" could be understood to be a shortened version of "as is the case with ants." I guess the longer version may be acceptable in certain situations, though it is not an ideal means of expression, and the shortened version is practically meaningless and, so, not really acceptable.

I think really "as with" or "as in" needs to work with a clause, as in:

As there are in ants, ....

I'm not aware of any situation in which "as in ants" would work at the beginning of a sentence, though perhaps it "as in" could work in a sentence structured so that "as in" is understood to mean "as there are in."

Quote:
2- In choice E, does 'that' in the phrase 'that of ants' refer to anything?

In choice (E), "that" seems to refer to "the social structure." At the same time, the wording does not include "the social structure of termites," but rather "the termite social structure," and so, strictly speaking, there is no referent for "that."

Quote:
3- Is 'including' in options C & E correct? I feel that there is no whole entity to present any example of it. So I think it is incorrect here.

Well, there are multiple ways to include, and they don't always involve examples. A the same time, I see what you are getting at, that the sentence does not mention a whole along with parts included in that whole. So, I guess the question becomes the following? Would a social structure "include" individuals that reproduce? Maybe. "Include" is not the ideal word to use in describing that situation, but one could argue that it works. However, the use of "including" after "social structure is elaborate" does not make sense. The social structure does not include individuals by being elaborate.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Thanks MartyTargetTestPrep for taking time and effort to answer my questions.

I have a small. I recall that I saw somewhere that 'As+in' is possible but I do not remember. Maybe it was as follows:

As in India, ......

or
As in 1940,.......

Does it work above?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Thanks MartyTargetTestPrep for taking time and effort to answer my questions.

I have a small. I recall that I saw somewhere that 'As+in' is possible but I do not remember. Maybe it was as follows:

As in India, ......

or

As in 1940,.......

Does it work above?

I'm pretty sure that, in cases like the two that you mentioned, if there are such cases, "as in" is short for something, such as "as there are in."

So, perhaps the following would be correct:

As in India, in South America, there is a river that is considered sacred by many.

meaning

As there is in India, in South America, there is a river that is considered sacred by many.

Not sure though.

I can say that, if you were to see a sentence like the "As in India" one above, I guess it wouldn't make sense to eliminate it on the basis of its including "As in India." The presence of that wording doesn't seem to be a strong decision point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
wushuaiyu wrote:
BinhFantasia wrote:
Hi, I think in B "as do ants", why two actions "termites have" and "ants do" (ants do = ants have...) are not compared correctly?

EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

It looks like we have a comparison question here, and that means we are mainly dealing with parallel structure and idioms! Let’s take a quick look at each answer to figure out what to focus on:

1. Checking that the two items being compared are equal
2. Using correct idiomatic terms for comparisons

Let’s start with #1 on our list. In all of the answers, the first half of the comparison focuses on “ants.” This means the other half of the comparison must focus on something of equal value – in this case, termites. Let’s see how each answer holds up:

(A) As with ants, the elaborate social structure of termites includes a few individuals reproducing → NOT PARALLEL
(B) As do ants, termites have an elaborate social structure, which includes a few individuals to reproduce → PARALLEL
(C) Just as with ants, termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals for reproducing → NOT PARALLEL
(D) Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce → PARALLEL
(E) Like that of ants, the termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals that reproduce → PARALLEL

There you go – right away, we can toss out answers A and C because they are not comparing two equal items! Now that we have it narrowed down to just B, D, and E.

If you read answer E closely, you may see it has another problem with parallelism:

(E) Like that of ants, the termite social structure is elaborate, including a few individuals that reproduce and the rest serve

For this to be parallel, these two parts would need to be adjusted. It could say "individuals that reproduce and the rest that serve," or reword it to get rid of the word "that" on both sides. So let's toss out answer E because it also doesn't uses parallel structure.

Let’s look at #2 on our list: idiomatic terms for comparison.

On the GMAT exam, the use of "like" vs. "as" has to do with what two things are being compared. We use "like" to compare two nouns, and "as" to compare two actions or phrases with verbs attached to them.

LIKE = noun + noun (The yellow car, like the red car, comes with a sunroof.)
AS = verb phrase + verb phrase (My aunt bakes soft oatmeal cookies, as her mother did when she was a child.)

So let's see how answers B and D stack up:

(B) As do ants, termites have an elaborate social structure, which includes a few individuals to reproduce → WRONG

We don't use "as" to compare two nouns - it should be "like."

(D) Like ants, termites have an elaborate social structure in which a few individuals reproduce → CORRECT!

There you go – you’re left with only one answer! Answer D is correct because it uses the proper “like” for a comparison of two nouns, and the two items being compared are equal!

Don’t study for the GMAT. Train for it.

I think as do ants and ants have are actually correctly compared since they both have S+V。

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal,

Can you please elaborate the comparison in B here? I have the same question as other users. I think the comparison is correct here. As do ants (as ants do/have), termites have.. . The problem of this choice is "to produce". please correct me if I am wrong.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14676 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
el1234 wrote:
wushuaiyu wrote:
BinhFantasia wrote:
Hi, I think in B "as do ants", why two actions "termites have" and "ants do" (ants do = ants have...) are not compared correctly?

I think as do ants and ants have are actually correctly compared since they both have S+V。

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal,

Can you please elaborate the comparison in B here? I have the same question as other users. I think the comparison is correct here. As do ants (as ants do/have), termites have.. . The problem of this choice is "to produce". please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your question, el1234!

The comparison in option B still doesn't work - you cannot compare ants and termites (two nouns) using "as." There are also more issues with option B that you pointed out, so if that is how you came to the conclusion that it was wrong, that's good too!

There are often several routes you can take to get to the same correct choice. Our job is to help you find the quickest ones - but that doesn't always mean they're the quickest for everyone!

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4
Send PM
Just a thought
in option D 'which' is used after 'in' as I have read many places in Gmat club itself that which is always preceded by , . So can u explain me why this is the exception
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aman1012 wrote:
Just a thought
in option D 'which' is used after 'in' as I have read many places in Gmat club itself that which is always preceded by , . So can u explain me why this is the exception

Yes Aman. A notable exception to this comma rule is when which appears as part of a prepositional phrase (in which in this sentence).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Bunuel wrote:

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "ants" to "the termite social structure". This answer choice also incorrectly uses the continuous tense to state a universal truth, leading to a parallelism break with the verb "serve", which is in the simple present tense. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice incorrectly uses "as" to compare the nouns "ants" and "termites". This answer choice also breaks parallelism between the verbs "to reproduce" and "serve". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice repeats the comparison error found in Option A. This answer choice also repeats the tense-related error found in Option A by using the continuous verb "including". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice maintains parallelism and proper tense use throughout the sentence and correctly uses "like" to compare the comparable nouns "ants" and "termites". Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice breaks parallelism between the phrases "individuals that reproduce" and "the rest serve"; remember, elements connected by conjunction must always be parallel. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Like v/s As on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aman1012 wrote:
Just a thought

Hello, Aman1012. You might find this thread to be of interest, in which you will find the reason for when it is appropriate to use a preposition in front of which.

Happy reading.

- Andrew
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30813 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos