Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: ASK MBA IVY LEAGUE - Harvard Grad [#permalink]
MBAIvy wrote:
Hi KB, happy to offer you some advice. I tell all my clients to shoot for a 720 on the GMAT. 720 (or above) will put you in an entirely different (and highly sought after) league. I do think based on the background you mentioned that you are already very competitive and yes, should apply to your targeted schools mentioned. A lot will depend upon your essays, and how you structure your background, experience, and future goals and vision.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Thanks -
Jillian
MBA IVY
(646) 276-7042

I don't want to dominate the thread, but what is your advice on "how to frame my background" for s school like Harvard vs. Stanford?

The future goals things is something that I struggle with too - from an application perspective. I genuinely want to learn how to be a manager/run a business so that I can be a better investor. I want to be in a position where I can have a relationship with the management teams of my portfolio companies and give them capital allocation and strategy advice, as one day I may want to pursue an activist strategy. But, I wonder if that sounds too "small" for the MBA application. Maybe I should say something along the lines of "leveraging the financial analysis skills I learned from my career with the managerial skills I hope to learn during my time at [insert B school] to open up my own [insert entrepreneurial idea]."

Thanks again,

KB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi KB, in terms of how to frame your background, that is a really what I help clients with when they decide to work with me directly. The main point though, is to make sure your path sounds logical -- if you are going from one field into another, you want to make sure it all is a logical plan and pathway to your future goals, were all of your experience has "built" to this point.

You do want to be particular though, in terms of details (regarding your future plans), as much as you can. Hope that at least helps somewhat.

Thanks!
Jillian
MBA IVY
www.MBAIvyLeague.com
GMAT Club Bot