Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Best B-School for people with CREATIVE and INNOVATIVE skills [#permalink]
Expert Reply
And if you are not CREATIVE and INNOVATIVE, probability of getting admitted is very less.

Moreover as a starter for an Indian IT Male, I believe you should focus completely on GMAT at the moment and get done with that asap.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stoiczoan wrote:
Why do you want to do an MBA? What are your post-MBA goals?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Thank you for replying to my post. I love to answer this question.
Sir, I belong to a place where the sun rises first in India. Yes, it is the most beautiful north-east which resides India's 4% of the population and constitutes a single linguistic region with about 220 languages, 220 ethnic groups and the equal number of dialects. But unfortunately, it poses a higher rate of unemployment and poverty than the average rate of India, despite having an immense opportunity in terms of agriculture, manpower and tourist destinations. Here Assam only has more than 18 Lakhs educated unemployed youths out of which 2 lakhs are graduates. So I know they have everything but good leaders.
This place needs a good number of entrepreneurs and leaders. So, I have always been trying to nurture myself with new skills and leadership quality. That is why I have been staying far from my place, exploring other places while working there. Whenever I get a chance to explore a new place or to learn new things, I grab it. During my IT career of 4.4 years, I have worked in Mysore, Bangalore and Coimbatore. But since my ultimate goal is to get into entrepreneurship and do something for my people, I need to learn more about managing a diverse group of people. Which I don't think I will get working in an IT job further, to be honest. So I have planned to do an MBA. I want to do it in Europe where B-Schools have a good diversity in their classes and they provide one year MBA.
So, I think I am pretty clear about what and why I want to do.
In order to fulfil my dream, to take a taste in entrepreneurship I started my own business and involved some of my friends from my place.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Regards,
Rakesh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
And if you are not CREATIVE and INNOVATIVE, probability of getting admitted is very less.

Moreover as a starter for an Indian IT Male, I believe you should focus completely on GMAT at the moment and get done with that asap.

Thank you for your reply.
That's a very good point you brought in: if the B-Schools do not think my creative and innovative skills aren't good enough. I am working on it. And I am preparing for GMAT as well.

Since my job is very flexible I get enough time to spend for my own stuff. So, I decided to improve my profile and list the probable schools I can get into, alongside. I do this when I get exusted from studies (I can't study for a very long time in one go, though trying to overcome it :) )

So, please let me know if you have any input for me in this special case. :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
rakeshlochansarma wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:
Why do you want to do an MBA? What are your post-MBA goals?

Thank you for replying to my post. I love to answer this question.
Sir, I belong to a place where the sun rises first in India. Yes, it is the most beautiful north-east which resides India's 4% of the population and constitutes a single linguistic region with about 220 languages, 220 ethnic groups and the equal number of dialects. But unfortunately, it poses a higher rate of unemployment and poverty than the average rate of India, despite having an immense opportunity in terms of agriculture, manpower and tourist destinations. Here Assam only has more than 18 Lakhs educated unemployed youths out of which 2 lakhs are graduates. So I know they have everything but good leaders.
This place needs a good number of entrepreneurs and leaders. So, I have always been trying to nurture myself with new skills and leadership quality. That is why I have been staying far from my place, exploring other places while working there. Whenever I get a chance to explore a new place or to learn new things, I grab it. During my IT career of 4.4 years, I have worked in Mysore, Bangalore and Coimbatore. But since my ultimate goal is to get into entrepreneurship and do something for my people, I need to learn more about managing a diverse group of people. Which I don't think I will get working in an IT job further, to be honest. So I have planned to do an MBA. I want to do it in Europe where B-Schools have a good diversity in their classes and they provide one year MBA.
So, I think I am pretty clear about what and why I want to do.
In order to fulfil my dream, to take a taste in entrepreneurship I started my own business and involved some of my friends from my place.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Regards,
Rakesh

Your goals should be realistic to the Adcoms. Even if you truly want to become an entrepreneur and better your community, it is going to be a tough sell. Also, everyone has creative and innovative skills that you are talking about, please don't let that be your selling point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stoiczoan wrote:
Alright Rakesh. Here’s my view (I’m a fellow applicant and maybe admission consultants can offer a different perspective).

1) There’s no such thing as a “b-school for creative and innovative skills”. All business schools like their students to have a “different” side, which in some cases can be about being “artsy” with design, drawings, photography etc. But the primary purpose of a business school is to get you a business education, and hopefully land you a good job that you like.

2) In my opinion, going to business school to become an entrepreneur is probably not a great idea. I don’t know about your financial situation but going to business school is very expensive. And starting your own business in India after incurring debt in Euros will be a tough situation. If you have avenues to fund your education without debt, then it might still be okay. The greatest benefit a business school can offer is a good network of smart people. But you don’t really need to go to school to start your own business where you’ll learn by doing.

3) You are from the toughest applicant pool - Indian Male IT engineer with IT experience. You’ll need to really stand out to go to a good school in Europe. That’ll mean a GMAT preferably 740+, some good leadership experience at work, some useful extracurricular roles etc. It’s definitely possible but it won’t be easy.

4) From what I’ve learned in the application experience, all the “creative” and “artsy” stuff is great to complement your profile. But what b-schools want is a solid profile in its core items - GMAT, academics, work experience, career progression, leadership experiences. Everything else is secondary.

5) Figuring out a list of business schools is something YOU need to do through research and effort. The application experience is a long and hard process. And you’ll benefit the most if you figure out things yourself. Start scouring these forums, go to school websites, look at employment reports, look at profiles of school alums on LinkedIn. You’ll need to put in the effort.
Use google wisely. Also utilize websites like PoetsandQuants.

Good luck.

I am just a newborn to this process. So, every bit of information is valuable for me. Loving this forum :) and THANK YOU
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Agree with stoiczoan that an MBA program is not the best way to go about entrepreneurship. Besides the debt part, there is little correlation between what you learn on entrepreneurship at B-schools and how your business pans out.

What is more important than creativity or innovativeness is your ability to solve problems, in this case business problems. That’s the goal of more or less every organization. Whether you were creative in pulling that off or displayed some other quality such as perseverance or persuasiveness is less material.

Also being from IT background from India, you should get a high GMAT score.
GMAT Club Bot