Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General, Luxury Goods Brand Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink]
calisnoopy wrote:
Just curious, I got my MyMarshall Dashboard login information for the USC Welcome Site.

But does anyone know where the "check list" is for USC's Full time MBA Class of 2013 Program?

Was hoping to get an idea in a check list form of

1) When and how much is first tuition deposit due?
2) When and how much is second/final tuition deposit due (if there is 2 tuition deposits like many schools)?
3) Does USC do a Kroll background check or something similar and how much is that fee and when is that due?

Thanks!

I read through the Ready To Go section of the binder and I could not find any information on a Kroll background check. I do not know about a checklist but you will get your first billing statement at orientation (or around that time frame). They have got payment plans but you should probably call USC financial aid to find out more about that (I have done it a few times already - great experience so far).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dinged. gl to the rest of you.

r2 pt.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,
I'm a R3 applicant for the Full-Time MBA and have grown concerned by the fact that I haven't received an interview invitation. I'm currently a JD student at USC Gould and am applying for the JD/MBA dual degree. I had a 3.8 UGPA from UCLA and 740 GMAT. Are interview invitations extended on a rolling basis? Is it possible to be accepted without being interviewed first?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
B1GF00T wrote:
Hi all,
I'm a R3 applicant for the Full-Time MBA and have grown concerned by the fact that I haven't received an interview invitation. I'm currently a JD student at USC Gould and am applying for the JD/MBA dual degree. I had a 3.8 UGPA from UCLA and 740 GMAT. Are interview invitations extended on a rolling basis? Is it possible to be accepted without being interviewed first?

I also applied in round 3 and did not receive an invite on the 15th. I emailed the admissions dept. yesterday evening asking whether all the invites had gone out. They told me that the majority had gone out, and the remaining will go out between now and May 15th. I know I have a low GPA, but I was kind of surprised I didn't get the interview email. Even more surprised you didn't get one. For what it's worth, USC is one of the few schools that admit people without interviews, but I think the percentage is something like 3% of all applicants, (at least according to last year's applicant thread.)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entertainment & Media
Schools:USC (in!!!), NYU (Waitlist)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
doggdetroit wrote:
B1GF00T wrote:
Hi all,

I also applied in round 3 and did not receive an invite on the 15th. I emailed the admissions dept. yesterday evening asking whether all the invites had gone out. They told me that the majority had gone out, and the remaining will go out between now and May 15th. I know I have a low GPA, but I was kind of surprised I didn't get the interview email. Even more surprised you didn't get one. For what it's worth, USC is one of the few schools that admit people without interviews, but I think the percentage is something like 3% of all applicants, (at least according to last year's applicant thread.)

Applying in Round 3, it is historically extremely difficult to get accepted to ANY school let alone top 25 programs. A few years back when I didn't know much about the process, I applied round 3 and was flat out rejected from my schools with a 720 GMAT and a 3.6. I think applying late many schools interpret it in 1 of a few ways...
1. You are not serious about business school, so you procrastinated
2. You applied in earlier rounds to other schools and didn't get in/were waitlisted so you are rushing to get last minute apps in
3. They are obviously not your first choice
4. Their class is already mostly full

Business schools are very serious about accepting students whom they feel will succeed in their programs and also students who really want to be in their program. Unless you have a reason for applying in Round 3 (and explained it in your application) it's probably a long-shot, at best. By now, many schools have most of their classes full and may only have a FEW open spots for those standout candidates. Also, be aware that you are competing with many of the Waitlisted candidates from earlier rounds. I can't say this for sure as I am not an AdCom member, but given two similar profiles between an R3 candidate and an R1 waitlister, they might be likely to take the person who applied earlier (as it implies greater interest in the program) and has probably already interviewed. Unless you got a perfect GMAT score, had a 4.0 Undergrad GPA from an Ivy, started a non-profit helping refugees in Africa, and speak fluent Mandarin and Arabic...R3 is gonna be an uphill battle.

I am not trying to be negative. I have been in your place before, so I sympathize. Stay positive because no news is still good news. But, my advice is, if you really want your MBA, start to get your reapplication essay together, (It's always some variation of "What have you done since you last applied to improve your candidacy?") brush up your resume (and maybe use that to start applying for new/better jobs...a new job with a different title and/or salary, could certainly help your candidacy in the future) and keeping an eye out for a new recommender that will offer a new and different perspective on you and submit your application early in Round 1 next year. Some schools even have a January start, so you wouldn't even fall that far behind.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mbaapplicantsc wrote:
I applied for R3 of the USC MBA.PM program in mid-March, and I’m hoping for an acceptance even though it’s getting a little late.

Stats:
-28 years old
-IT background, 6 years experience
-640 GMAT (41 quant, 37 verbal)
-3.1 GPA from top 50 undergrad.

I spoke with admissions and they said that acceptances wouldn’t be coming until mid-May, at the earliest. Hopefully they still have some spots open.

Any update mbaapplicantsc? Same situation here.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheBrownSlipper wrote:
Alright, a few folks have asked for a trip report from USC because they were unable to attend the admit weekend. Others asked specific questions I’ll try to address. If you need to know something else, please feel free to PM me.

First off, I need to give a shoutout to the GMATClubbers who showed up. I met CyberC1, socalscool, and several other GMATClubbers who's GMAT names I cannot remember. But there were several of us there, so it was good that there was a nice showing at least. They are free to add imput anywhere they’d like, especially since I had to leave a few hours early on the second day.

I guess it was really fun and loose to say the least. There were plenty of ‘beverages’ to drink, lots of fun games to get to know people, little trivia games, and numerous meet-and-greets with other students. The first-years in charge of the event were hystarical in my humble opinion, and alone made the trip worth while.

The prosepctive class seemed really smart to me compared to other compareable schools in the 15-30 range. We had a “where are you from” intro thing, and the vast majority of the students came from UCLA, Cal, and USC for undergrad. I met one or two Stanford undergrad students, a couple of prospective people from the East Coast, and others from UC Irvine, UCSB, and some small private colleges. A good mix of students. There weren’t any international students, or at least none that I met, but that’s to be expected given that this is only a 2-day event. The class seemed somewhat young to me, as there were lots of folks who graduated college from ’03-07. Didn’t meet anyone straight from undergrad.

There was a good mix of students who wanted to study marketing, finance, operations, etc. A lot of people aren’t sure of what they want to study, but again, that’s to be expected. My only complaint is that a lot of people were not committed to going to the program, mainly as they were deciding between USC and UCLA. UCLA’s admit was the same day as USC’s, and a lot of people left USC’s early to go to UCLA. I got a feeling a lot of people applied to both schools, and those that got accepted to both honestly didn’t know which they would attend. Throw in the fact that there are budget cuts at UC schools and USC seemed to hand out quite a few fellowships, and you’ve got a tough decision on which school to attend. So while the prospective class seemed really smart, outgoing, and awesome, it’s tough to tell which of them are actually going to end up at USC. If they all end up going to UCLA, then UCLA will have one hell of a great class.

First-years were outgoing, and you can definitely tell they have a lot of school spirit and love USC. They had a club-fair type event where we got to talk to about 30 club representatives, and there was everything from golf, to biotech, to consulting. Apparently you can also take advantage of undergraduate clubs as well, so I guess that’s a benefit of attending the school. Some of them seemed really smart (talked to one person who chose USC over numerous top 5 schools). The main complaint from first-years was that USC was “ranked low” and that such really affected the recruiting for certain industries, mainly managerial consulting. As a disclaimer, I know virtually nothing about consulting. McKinsey apparently only hired in the single digits (I think someone told me 2 people, but can’t remember the number), although it seemed like Deloitte had deep connections there. Outside of consulting, people were interning at NBC, Disney, Cisco, and GE to name a few places. Lots of folks are ex-bankers or ex-consultants looking to change fields. USC advertised that the average starting salary broke the $100k mark, but since I didn’t meet any current 2nd years, I cannot comment on where full-time job offers are being made. The other common complaint was traffic. I’m from the Bay Area so I’m used to it, but apparently it’s a culture shock for some people. Newsflash to all attending Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD, or UC Irvine: There is traffic in California. All-day. Everyday. Quit complaining.

Also had the chance to meet some professors and learn more about PRIME in detail. The professors were really excited to be there (on a Friday afternoon, believe it or not) and they seemed really good. A couple had PhDs from UCLA, and I think a third was from Stanford. Saw a slideshow for the PRIME event, in which you travel to Asia or South America. Everyone was raving about getting to travel, although there seems to be competition to get to go to some of the more popular locations. The companies you work with overseas all appear to be large corporations for the mostpart.

I visited another school last week, and I can tell you that I am going to USC for sure now. There was a lot of enthusiasm at the school, and the prospective class seemed really smart. And although this shouldn’t matter, the fact that Marshall admissions coordinated the event so flawlessly really stood out. They had the band play for us, the dinner and drinks were all good, and there were a lot of first-years there to answer questions and they were very candid about their experiences. The presentations were all done really well, and the community really seems to care about the program. I’ll add more if I get less busy, unfortunately work is killin’ me right now.

Other info people have asked for: I’d say about 100-150 people showed up for the event. Desposits for USC are due May 1st, in the amount of $1500. Most people appear to be living in Koreatown, downtown, or near the beach (if they are willing to drive). We were told there will be some pre-class assessment tests/assessment courses to complete online, but not given a lot of details about them. School (pre-term)starts in July. No that’s not a typo.

That's a great write-up, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Late last week, I received an email from USC requesting a recorded video interview. I haven't heard anything else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology, Digital Media
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Great writeup on admit weekend. For those of us who couldn't attend, it is very much appreciated.

Quick question: has anybody heard when the PRIME trip is scheduled for 2012? I'm in a good friend's wedding party next May, and I'm trying to figure out whether that will be a conflict. Have they announced dates yet?

Thanks again. I look forward to meeting you in July!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
silverdana wrote:
doggdetroit wrote:
B1GF00T wrote:
Hi all,

Applying in Round 3, it is historically extremely difficult to get accepted to ANY school let alone top 25 programs. A few years back when I didn't know much about the process, I applied round 3 and was flat out rejected from my schools with a 720 GMAT and a 3.6. I think applying late many schools interpret it in 1 of a few ways...
2. You applied in earlier rounds to other schools and didn't get in/were waitlisted so you are rushing to get last minute apps in

Business schools are very serious about accepting students whom they feel will succeed in their programs and also students who really want to be in their program. Unless you have a reason for applying in Round 3 (and explained it in your application) it's probably a long-shot, at best. By now, many schools have most of their classes full and may only have a FEW open spots for those standout candidates. Also, be aware that you are competing with many of the Waitlisted candidates from earlier rounds. I can't say this for sure as I am not an AdCom member, but given two similar profiles between an R3 candidate and an R1 waitlister, they might be likely to take the person who applied earlier (as it implies greater interest in the program) and has probably already interviewed. Unless you got a perfect GMAT score, had a 4.0 Undergrad GPA from an Ivy, started a non-profit helping refugees in Africa, and speak fluent Mandarin and Arabic...R3 is gonna be an uphill battle.

I am not trying to be negative. I have been in your place before, so I sympathize. Stay positive because no news is still good news. But, my advice is, if you really want your MBA, start to get your reapplication essay together, (It's always some variation of "What have you done since you last applied to improve your candidacy?") brush up your resume (and maybe use that to start applying for new/better jobs...a new job with a different title and/or salary, could certainly help your candidacy in the future) and keeping an eye out for a new recommender that will offer a new and different perspective on you and submit your application early in Round 1 next year. Some schools even have a January start, so you wouldn't even fall that far behind.

Good luck!

I'd have to disagree with most of this. I do think there are advantages to applying in Round 1 or 2 but I would not say it is "extremely difficult" to get accepted in Round 3. If that's the case, why even have a round 3 in the first place. I imagine that at the start of any application cycle the adcom would have set out a ballparked plan of how many acceptances they would give out in each of the 3 rounds and I would think they would be relatively equal. Now, depending on the quality of applicants in the earlier rounds, it may skew their expected acceptances in round 3, but certainly not to the extent that you discussed.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entertainment & Media
Schools:USC (in!!!), NYU (Waitlist)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
NoMoreAcct wrote:
silverdana wrote:
doggdetroit wrote:

Good luck!

I'd have to disagree with most of this. I do think there are advantages to applying in Round 1 or 2 but I would not say it is "extremely difficult" to get accepted in Round 3. If that's the case, why even have a round 3 in the first place. I imagine that at the start of any application cycle the adcom would have set out a ballparked plan of how many acceptances they would give out in each of the 3 rounds and I would think they would be relatively equal. Now, depending on the quality of applicants in the earlier rounds, it may skew their expected acceptances in round 3, but certainly not to the extent that you discussed.

I didn't even read this article before I posted, but it confirms most of what I said...and this is from former AdCom members:
https://www.admissionsconsultants.com/mba/round3.asp

I will agree that at some schools they do in fact, "Set out a ballparked plan of how many acceptances they would give out in each of the 3 rounds and I would think they would be relatively equal." At NYU, they claim that this is the case. Every school is different, but in my research I found that most schools don't do that. I can't answer the question "Why have a round 3?" Perhaps it is because AdComs understand that some people are unable to apply so earlier for whatever reason, maybe someone JUST lost their job at the beginning of the year and their plans for an MBA got pushed up a year. Also, some schools actually don't have a round 3, perhaps because they realize they will have filled their class by then. Columbia fills most of the class through the Early Decision round, so you could also say "what's the point of them having a Regular Decision round?" Like I said, every school is different to some degree.

Bottom line, I am not saying it's impossible to get an R3 admit, but definitely more difficult than earlier rounds.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Any news to wait listed applicants R 2?
Intern
Intern
Schools:USC
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
wow. Admit week sounded really fun, but where is the champagne and caviar for us MBA.PM admits?!?!?! :-D
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: 2 yrs of accountant at ad agency
Send PM
I was asked to bring my resume on the interview.
does it mean it's a blind interview?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
@jiyo7 it's been on and off regarding blind interviews. Prepare yourself and I'm sure you'll do awesome.

Just dropped my deposit. Headed to USC!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I applied mid February, but I havnt recieved any kind of notification for an interview, WL, or Ding. Anybody else from rnd three not hear anything back? Is that a bad sign?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It doesn't look good. Anyone on the wait list send additional information?

jonkytron11 wrote:
Hi, I applied mid February, but I havnt recieved any kind of notification for an interview, WL, or Ding. Anybody else from rnd three not hear anything back? Is that a bad sign?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts