Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategic Consulting/Brand Management
Schools:Cornell (R3-Admitted);
 Q43  V38 GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V41
WE 1: 5+ IT Business Consultant/Project Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All UCLA 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
I don't think it hurts to call them again and explain your experience. In worst case, send the dean an email. I find that many staff members simply don't have the power and knowledge to give you a valuable answer. Most schools give you TOEFL waiver for either your work experience in an English-speaking country over 3 yrs, or your undergraduate studies in school that taught in English.

[quote="moiuday"]@jchen yes I have been working in the US for more than 3 years. Do you think I should call admissions again and give it a shot?

Are there any current students on this forum who may have advise coz TOEFL seems too small a pointer for me to miss out on R2?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
moiuday wrote:
@jchen yes I have been working in the US for more than 3 years. Do you think I should call admissions again and give it a shot?

Are there any current students on this forum who may have advise coz TOEFL seems too small a pointer for me to miss out on R2?

Posted from my mobile device

Unfortunately, it appears that they are very strict about this requirement. It's for all graduate programs at UCLA, not just Anderson. I don't think a call would hurt, but from what it says on their website (link below), I doubt it would help. They're pretty clear about it in the last three bullets on the page.

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x27512.xml
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
jchen01 wrote:
hmm, interesting. If you look at the two ppl who got interviews all have usernames starts with letter "a". Perhaps, they sent out invi in alphabetical order?

Not sure if serious...

Arjunmehra most likely has the last name "Mehra." One's Indian and the other one's Canadian. So you could also throw out doing it by geographic region. This board is also vastly overrepresented internationally, so it doesn't mean domestic applicants haven't received notifications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)
GPA: 3.6 Chem Eng
WE 1: 2 yr Management consulting
WE 2: 2 yr Product Management - tech
Send PM
tortoiserun wrote:
moiuday wrote:
@jchen yes I have been working in the US for more than 3 years. Do you think I should call admissions again and give it a shot?

Posted from my mobile device

Unfortunately, it appears that they are very strict about this requirement. It's for all graduate programs at UCLA, not just Anderson. I don't think a call would hurt, but from what it says on their website (link below), I doubt it would help. They're pretty clear about it in the last three bullets on the page.

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x27512.xml

I was a student at UCLA undergrad. I had to take the TOEFL. I was educated in english schools but regardless, the school required the test. It's a blanket standard
Manager
Manager
Schools:Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)
Send PM
Stele wrote:
jchen01 wrote:
hmm, interesting. If you look at the two ppl who got interviews all have usernames starts with letter "a". Perhaps, they sent out invi in alphabetical order?

Not sure if serious...

Arjunmehra most likely has the last name "Mehra." One's Indian and the other one's Canadian. So you could also throw out doing it by geographic region. This board is also vastly overrepresented internationally, so it doesn't mean domestic applicants haven't received notifications.

Two data points does not make a trend. Like most schools, Anderson reviews the applications randomly and there is absolutely no correlation to name, geography, submission date, etc to your application being reviewed.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Sridhar123 wrote:
Do they send an email if we are shortlisted for the interview or do we need to check the status online?

You'll get an email which notifies you that you've been selected for an interview. You'll get the option for on campus vs. off campus--if you want to do on campus you log in and sign up online, and if you want to do off campus you reply to the email with the city/region where you'd prefer to interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
kelea wrote:
I was a student at UCLA undergrad. I had to take the TOEFL. I was educated in english schools but regardless, the school required the test. It's a blanket standard

Breaking my silence after suffering a mini-heart attack after reading this post. I'm an international applicant (Round 2) but with a grad. degree from a US school; I think the link from tortoiserun clearly mentions that if you either had a UG/Grad. degree from US or completed 2 years of education here, you're exempted from TOEFL. Kelea, were you referring to TOEFL score requirement during your UG application or did you have to submit one to Anderson despite holding a degree from UCLA?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
forsports wrote:
kelea wrote:

Breaking my silence after suffering a mini-heart attack after reading this post. I'm an international applicant (Round 2) but with a grad. degree from a US school; I think the link from tortoiserun clearly mentions that if you either had a UG/Grad. degree from US or completed 2 years of education here, you're exempted from TOEFL. Kelea, were you referring to TOEFL score requirement during your UG application or did you have to submit one to Anderson despite holding a degree from UCLA?

Sorry my post was to echo Tortoiserun's post that UCLA is strict about that stuff. I needed it in my undergrad despite growing up in an english speaking country. I didn't need it for Anderson since I already had my UG degree in the US
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
In for R2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
kelea wrote:
forsports wrote:
kelea wrote:

Sorry my post was to echo Tortoiserun's post that UCLA is strict about that stuff. I needed it in my undergrad despite growing up in an english speaking country. I didn't need it for Anderson since I already had my UG degree in the US

Phew! I shall rest in peace, atleast until the next post talking about interview invites. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
kelea wrote:
Two data points does not make a trend. Like most schools, Anderson reviews the applications randomly and there is absolutely no correlation to name, geography, submission date, etc to your application being reviewed.

You just said exactly what I said.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hehe, have a sense of humor you two, especially in this time of darkness. :twisted:

Stele wrote:
kelea wrote:

You just said exactly what I said.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You mean status of application or intv invi? My application status was updated in early Jan to "complete for review".

almostfamous wrote:
Yesterday, I contacted the Admissions Office to ask if I am still in for round 2, despite one of my recommendations that arrived late.

The response says that "all applicant will be notified on the status of their application on Jan 26."

Good. Except that this obviously did not take place...!

However, I have a hunch that sending notification is truly intended, and the response just got the date incorrect. That means we should be hearing from the admissions soon.
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA Anderson
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
New poster here (occasional visitor.) I was in for round 2 in late November - earlier than most 2nd rounders - and received an interview invite the day first round decisions went out. I have to believe there's some correlation between application submission and review. I also think, however, that the closer you submitted your application to the round's due date, the more it becomes jumbled up with all the other 'final-week-submitters.'

My question though concerns decisions. Any idea when those who have completed interviews will hear? Does UCLA traditionally inform everyone on the final date possible?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
uclahopeful2013 wrote:
New poster here (occasional visitor.) I was in for round 2 in late November - earlier than most 2nd rounders - and received an interview invite the day first round decisions went out. I have to believe there's some correlation between application submission and review. I also think, however, that the closer you submitted your application to the round's due date, the more it becomes jumbled up with all the other 'final-week-submitters.'

My question though concerns decisions. Any idea when those who have completed interviews will hear? Does UCLA traditionally inform everyone on the final date possible?

I am a R1 applicant and got my decision on Jan 12 (the official decision release date for R1 applicants). If they keep on sticking to the schedule you shouldn't hold your breath until March 30.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
I got a 5am email on the day that R1 decisions were supposed to be released, then a followup phone call from AdCom later that day. UCLA doesn't appear to do rolling admissions, so an early interview just means more time to wait for a decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Kellogg
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
just got an interview invitation..email from Connie Kwan
GMAT Club Bot