Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aman1012 wrote:
Hi,

Here is my profile.

10th-78%
12th-66%
Bachelor of Engineering - 8.6(CGPA) in Mechanical Engineering from India
Work Experience - 4.9 years .Working as Data Analyst in TCS in India. Having Experience of leading team of 10 people for more than 2 years. A active member of corporate social responsibility(CSR) and the active member of toastmaster club and other club that are working for NGOs that mainly deal with student education locally. There is regular interaction with client and management people from company and outside but no international exposure yet.
GMAT- Giving in FEB end(First attempt)

Certification credential - I am Charter Financial analyst(CFA) Level 3 Candidate.
National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) Certified in Derivative and Market
Certified in Financial Modelling.

Courses for MBA- Finance

Please let me know the expected GMAT score also that i should aim for.

any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Congratulations on passing the first two CFA exams and good luck in June on LIII. You don't provide gender in your write-up, which does inform averages slightly for Indian candidates (male Indian candidates are disproportionately represented in the applicant pool and thus have an even more competitive demographic challenge to surmount). Successful Indian candidates in quantitative fields generally score 750+ for HBS. This is especially true if you didn't attend IIT or an equivalent university for your Mech-E degree. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get in with a 730, which is closer to HBS average, only that successful Indian candidates typically score higher than the HBS average.

At HBS, less than 40% of any given class is non-US, and of that 40% who are international, Indian students are a minority (even though qualified Indian candidates are disproportionately represented in the applicant pool). While it's great that you are already a CFA LIII candidate, if you don't score a 750+ on your GMAT in Feb., you should probably consider tabling your last CFA exam until later so you can focus on improving your GMAT score. From a business school AdCom's perspective, having a CFA is great, but the GMAT is more important because this is a score that is reported to rankings organizations and is a better applies-to-apples comparator (most applicants and accepted students are not CFAs).

You are right to be thinking about the GMAT and taking it seriously, but well thought-out strategic positioning and excellent essays are also super important and they are what separate you from the many other applicants who are applying. What would you want to do career-wise immediately after HBS? Would you want to return to India long-term? Doing what? How has your prior academic and professional success positioned you to make these goals achievable? What are your passions outside of work and how will these extracurricular make you a more engaged, unique asset to the HBS class vs. another applicant? How have you been a productive and value-additive member of your larger community (e.g., school, neighborhood, condo-association, home-owners association, house of worship, etc.) that demonstrates a commitment to service beyond your won career advancement? Harvard is synonymous with LEADERSHIP so it's great that you already have 10 direct reports - you'll definitely want to emphasize this aspect of your candidacy in your essays.

You might benefit from talking to an admissions consultant about the material you plan to use in your HBS essays and how you want to position your candidacy (i.e.., strategic positioning). If that is something that might be interesting to you, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Just curious: what "cultural differences" could possibly cause winning a beauty contest to be seen in negative light?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thank you all so much for taking the time to evaluate our profiles.

Here is my profile:
Programs I'm applying to: I am hoping to apply for a HBS 2+2 program in April along with a few other schools' deferred programs (Stanford, MIT, Wharton, etc).
Education: I am a senior in top 3 state university in the US. I am a Chinese female with a green card and have been studying in the US for the past eight years. I'm attending college on a merit-based full scholarship.
GMAT: 740 (quant 49, verbal 42), writing 6 IR 8. SAT: 2350/2400 GPA: 3.72
Major: Economics and another Honors program that is unique in our school. I am writing a 80 pages thesis for this honors program.

Work Experience:
Had my first official internship at a leadership consulting (high-end headhunting agencies) in China my sophomore summer. The three months spent there made me realize that I really enjoy the team working aspect and value the connections I formed, though I did not particularly like the professional culture in China- a bit too hierarchical. Hence looked for internship in the US after that summer.
Junior Summer: Interned at the management consulting branch of one of the Big 4 (Deloitte, PWC, etc.) companies in NY and got a return offer. Through that experience, I understood that I like management consulting as a potential career. Wanted to recruit again for MBB because of their global platform and their leading position in consulting.
Got an offer from one of the top three and I'm planning to work for the firm after graduation.

Leadership and Extracurricular:
Just retired from being the vice president of a Chinese cultural organization at my university. Served as the representative that connected many different cultural organizations together to host activities and events that help induce cultural understanding. This definitely trained my skill in communicating with people as well as leading a team as I got very used to host events that serve 150+ people with a small planning group (~5 people) by the end of my term.
Co founded a podcast that promotes minorities' stories through an interview format. Reached 1000+ listeners during our peak time, but the podcast has died down slowly as both of me and the other co-founder got really busy during recruiting season.

Others:
Very global oriented: originally from China, studied in the US for the past 8 years, and I also have studied abroad in two Spanish speaking countries to hone my Spanish skills.
Passionate about leveling the playing fields for international students that have less access to information, hence why I was so involved in the cultural organization.

Why MBA:
Most essential reason: Want to return to China at some point and an MBA degree from Harvard would help a woman greatly in the workplace. Also want to form valuable connections with other people to broaden my network and see a more global picture. I know it's very vague but this is what I have in mind now. I will definitely have a clearer picture after working for 2-3 years but right now this is all I have.

Essay: need to think about this more. Want to write something that is reflective of my global experience, but that is so broad. Not sure yet.

Thank you for your time! Additionally, I have a question. I've always had an experience that is tailored for consulting. It seems a bit narrow in a way when compared with other students, for example: engineering students who want to bring the engineering and business worlds together. How do I stand out among other applicants?

Originally posted by engchi on 29 Jan 2020, 18:26.
Last edited by engchi on 29 Jan 2020, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatway wrote:
Demographics: 27 years old, Female, Indian
non engineering background

Education:
• Undergrad: bachelor in banking and insurance from a top university in my country. GPA 4 (10th 82% , 12th 81% , BBI- overall 69% )
• Post Graduate diploma course in banking operations
GMAT: will appear in April 2020 (what score do I need?)

Work Experience
• Total 5.4 years of worex in retail banking and insurance customer service (client facing role/front desk role) .1.9 years in ICICI bank , 3.5 years of experience in HSBC retail banking ( started my role as customer service officer in retail banking got promoted after 1.8 months titled as premier services manager and handled premier customers globally).

At present - Left banking job to pursue my own passion and fulfill my aim.
1)Building my ethical & eco friendly fashion clothing brand ( I also provide clothes on rent at affordable prices to encourage everyone to avoid one time clothing purchase which most buyers don't even plan to wear for more than one event) to bring massive shifts in reducing the textile waste (textile waste is second largest pollutant in the world) and save our environment as well as ourselves from harmful chemicals .
2)Provide jobs to help our economy grow and help people live better life . Currently I have 10 people working under me . Planning to expand my business in a way so that more people connect and earn an extra income globally.

Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
• Won global hearts award for excellent customer service from HSBC global head and other several work related awards.
• Represented my region in national level CHESS competition and won gold medals in CHESS.
• Won beauty pageant (held in my region/locality)
Took part in many events (almost all in my entire life - school /college ), won awards in art /creativity ,converting waste into useful products,drawing,banking related activities/ideas . I was part of women development cell in college . Also won medals in chess in college sports events .

Other:
• NISM - demat certified (certification will expire )
• IRDA certified - (INSURANCE REGULATORY AND DEVELOPMENT ACT ,India)
• I teach underprivileged students for free and help people to create mental balance in their lives and be at their best .

Post MBA goal: I want to explore my capabilities and open more firms (entrepreneurship ). In case I don't get any innovative idea to open new firm that generates employment and contribute to society /world then I would want to gain some experience in finance sector to explore what more kind of financials reforms in financial products can be brought to manage current financial market structures differently .

Essay: Will focus on how being a defence kid (my dad was in army ) helped me develop my personality and make stronger bonds wherever I have visited . I wish to generate employment and encourage others to join hands and make a better world (equity ).

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, INSEAD

Points of concern:
• GMAT score – I am aiming for 750 (working hard to get that score)
• Financial background – I am not sure what category retail banking fits in because our role is always a mix of customer service. I haven't visited abroad but I have handled clients globally (helped me make strong personal and professional connections with amazing people , CEO of top companies and several others (globally )who know me personally -of course I can't disclose but proud to build a relationship and converse with them directly) and have helped them choose right banking products as per their needs (whether they want to set up business, invest money , their children's education ).
• LOR - I am confused about LOR . one of my senior managers with whom I had worked can give LOR , Should I ask for LOR from my client? Who else is authorised to give LOR?

Many thanks!

If you get a 750, your GMAT will not be a concern; it will be a strong point. In terms of what you should aim for, go for an 800, but a 750 would be great. In terms of your work experience, you have to make the most of your achievements and responsibilities as a retail banker. If you work with international complexities, highlight that. If you developed strong relationships with your clients you may want to highlight that. If you handled transaction of high value, you definitely want to point them out. The question is how to best do so. If your undergrad GPA was 69%, that is at the lower end for HBS.

Regarding the LOR, it is requested because it is a 3rd party's perspective on your candidacy. Ask people who supervised you professionally and can comment from personal experience on the quality of your work. Ask them directly if they are willing to write a strong recommendation for you For more on selecting recommenders and what they should include in their recommendations, please see Landing Winning MBA Letters of Recommendation. You can ask another supervisor or a client, but a supervisor from a different project would be probably better.

Also your goal is very broad. Entrepreneurship or financial sector. As I said, it's very broad. Refine and focus it. It's oK to have a Plan A and a Plan B, but in what field do you see yourself working as an entrepreneur?

I think it makes sense for you to apply to HBS, but don't count on HBS. Apply to other programs that support your goals and are easier to get into. consider NYU Stern, UCLA, USC, UT Austin, Duke, Georgetown. Cornell Johnson.

Best,
Linda
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
engchi wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thank you all so much for taking the time to evaluate our profiles.

Here is my profile:
Programs I'm applying to: I am hoping to apply for a HBS 2+2 program in April along with a few other schools' deferred programs (Stanford, MIT, Wharton, etc).
Education: I am a senior in top 3 state university in the US. I am a Chinese female with a green card and have been studying in the US for the past eight years. I'm attending college on a merit-based full scholarship.
GMAT: 740 (quant 49, verbal 42), writing 6 IR 8. SAT: 2350/2400
Major: Economics and another Honors program that is unique in our school. I am writing a 80 pages thesis for this honors program.

Work Experience:
Had my first official internship at a leadership consulting (high-end headhunting agencies) in China my sophomore summer. The three months spent there made me realize that I really enjoy the team working aspect and value the connections I formed, though I did not particularly like the professional culture in China- a bit too hierarchical. Hence looked for internship in the US after that summer.
Junior Summer: Interned at the management consulting branch of one of the Big 4 (Deloitte, PWC, etc.) companies in NY and got a return offer. Through that experience, I understood that I like management consulting as a potential career. Wanted to recruit again for MBB because of their global platform and their leading position in consulting.
Got an offer from one of the top three and I'm planning to work for the firm after graduation.

Just retired from being the vice president of a Chinese cultural organization at my university. Served as the representative that connected many different cultural organizations together to host activities and events that help induce cultural understanding. This definitely trained my skill in communicating with people as well as leading a team as I got very used to host events that serve 150+ people with a small planning group (~5 people) by the end of my term.
Co founded a podcast that promotes minorities' stories through an interview format. Reached 1000+ listeners during our peak time, but the podcast has died down slowly as both of me and the other co-founder got really busy during recruiting season.

Others:
Very global oriented: originally from China, studied in the US for the past 8 years, and I also have studied abroad in two Spanish speaking countries to hone my Spanish skills.
Passionate about leveling the playing fields for international students that have less access to information, hence why I was so involved in the cultural organization.

Why MBA:
Most essential reason: Want to return to China at some point and an MBA degree from Harvard would help a woman greatly in the workplace. Also want to form valuable connections with other people to broaden my network and see a more global picture. I know it's very vague but this is what I have in mind now. I will definitely have a clearer picture after working for 2-3 years but right now this is all I have.

Essay: need to think about this more. Want to write something that is reflective of my global experience, but that is so broad. Not sure yet.

Thank you for your time! Additionally, I have a question. I've always had an experience that is tailored for consulting. It seems a bit narrow in a way when compared with other students, for example: engineering students who want to bring the engineering and business worlds together. How do I stand out among other applicants?

You have a compelling candidacy and should definitely apply to HBS. It's hard to assess your chances without more information (and even with more information, nobody has a crystal ball), but here are your strengths and weaknesses as I see them:

1. Academics: in general, HBS favors top-tier performance at top-ranked universities. A top state school should be fine but you likely won't get the bonus points for attending an Ivy-league university. I don't see your GPA here. Obviously the higher the better. You should get some points for your honors programs.
2. Work experience: MBB will be a strong-suit. A disproportional percentage of HBS 2+2 students are MBB. 2 years is a natural point to leave MBB, and many regular-admit HBS students come with 2 years of MBB. It will also be good experience to bolster your ultimate goal of returning to Asia since the MBB goal shines worldwide. And it shows hustle and drive to have leveled-up to MBB after a summer internship somewhere else. As an aside, if you *are* successful at obtaining HBS (or any top-tier MBA acceptance), you should evaluate sponsorship with your specific MBB as that may be a good way to avoid student loans (assuming, of course, that you are open to returning to your MBB post graduation).
3. Extracurriculars - I'm intrigued by your leadership on your podcasts and international student's interest affinity group. Likely some great essay anecdotes there to demonstrate your passion to this cause. Remember that the HBS 2+2 essay question in the same notorious question asked of all MBA applicants: "As we review your application, what more would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy for the Harvard Business School MBA program?" Successful responses to this prompt focus on LEADERSHIP. Notice that it does *not* ask Why Harvard or Why MBA. It appears from your profile write-up that you are leadership oriented in addition to being professionally and academically driven & successful. Be mindful of *showing rather than telling* your leadership chops in your essays.
4. Demographic - unfortunately your demographic is one of the more challenging ones, as there are many Chinese students who apply. a 740 GMAT is a very respectable score, but it's only about ~10 points higher than the HBS average. While there are always exceptions, successful HBS applicants from over-represented demos typically have higher GMATs than the school's average. If it's possible to attempt the GMAT once more before the April 2020 deadline, you might give it one more go to see if you can achieve a 750+. That will only help you for other schools as well, if you don't get into 2+2 and want to instead apply a couple of years from now. As you've probably intuited based on your summer experience, it's much harder to find time to study for the GMAT when you are working 80+ hours a week (and traveling constantly) in MBB than when you are a full-time student.
5. Strategic positioning - this is the real wildcard and what will probably make or break your app. Beyond your general interest in returning to China and your short-term focus on MBB, you don't really lay out your plans for your career. Even if you yourself aren't sure what you want to do with your life, you want to sound polished and imminently qualified to accomplished your *imminently achievable* detailed professional goals. Unlike undergrad, business school isn't looking for soul-searchers who aren't sure what they want to do with their lives -- they want people who are imminently employable and who will reflect positively in post-MBA career stats (% employed, compensation) as these data points are important to rankings organizations. If you don't end up retaking the GMAT, strategic positioning is the only thing you truly have control over, and it's so very important, especially for applicants applying for over-represented demographics.

If talking through potential application essay anecdotes and how they align with your strategic positioning might be helpful to you, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/ Best of luck to you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
engchi wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Here is my profile:
GMAT: 740 (quant 49, verbal 42), writing 6 IR 8. SAT: 2350/2400 GPA: 3.72

Work Experience:

Others:

Why MBA:

Could you share your GPA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi, I don't know how to reply to a comment, so making a new comment here. My GPA is 3.78. Thanks again!
Send PM
Expert Reply
engchi wrote:
Hi, I don't know how to reply to a comment, so making a new comment here. My GPA is 3.78. Thanks again!

Thanks for your response. Your academics are competitive for 2+2 and the other deferred admission programs. However, you need to work on presenting an application that will allow you to stand out and highlight the passion you demonstrated in working for cross-cultural understanding and also growing your podcast. You also need to clarify why you want to be admitted to bschool now as opposed to after your work in consulting for a few years, when you will have a clearer idea of what you want to do.

Also in your post you wrote that you found Chinese business culture too hierarchical, but you also wrote that you hope to return China and work in business so those statements, if in your application will need to be reconciled.

If you'd like help in portraying your distinctive story and path, while also clarifying what you hope to achieve in the future, please let me know.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41 (Online)
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
admissionCoach wrote:
MicCat wrote:
Hi everybody, I'm thinking about applying to HBS in September 2020. I've not taken GMAT yet, but I'd like to get a glimpse of my opportunities.

Demographics: 27 years old (I will be 28 in September 2020), Italian, from a small town in the south.

Education:
• Undergrad: best engineering school in Italy, ranked among top15 engineering in the world, GPA: 110 out of 110. Industrial Engineering and Management (3 years, standard lenght)
• Master's Degree (2 years, standard lenght) in Industrial Engineering and Management with focus on Corporate Finance from Tokyo Institute of Technology, top50 school in the world, best engineering school in Japan. GPA 5 out of 5

GMAT: Have to take the test yet

Work Experience:
• Started professional career in design thinking strategy consulting as intern for 3 months in Tokyo office.
• Moved back to Italy where I joined Big4 as an Advisory consultant. Promoted to senior after 1 year and 6 months (usually it takes two years) and aiming to reach manager in 2021. Top performer, in 2019 I received a 200% bonus for what I did. Already managing small teams (2/3 people) and probably going to Japan this year for a project.
In total I've worked for about 3 years, will be 3.7 years in September 2020.

• Currently on the Board of Innovation of my company
• I am currently managing a project inside my company to promote knowledge sharing involving +50 people and inviting guests and experts in specific areas
• Member of the JA Italy association. I work as a Dream Coach, teaching students in high school about finance, management and how to run a business. Organizing business games at national and European levels
• Ex-member of Slush Asia, an event where investors and startuppers can meet to find good solutions and launch business ideas

Other:
• My Master's Thesis in Japan was good enough to go to the World Banking & Finance Symposium in Dubai in 2016. Currently still working with my Japanese mentor in order to publish the research with a good Finance Journal
• Had plenty of international exposure (during undergrad I went to Hungary for a governmental project, during Master's I went to Hong Kong for 1 month)
• Passionate about Japanese culture, I can speak Japanese fluently (other than English and a basic Spanish, and native Italian of course). I am part of the only Buddhist monastery in Italy where I often go to relax, help with growing vegetables and cooking

Post MBA goal: Although I like my current job, I'm looking for a more challenging opportunity. Most of my colleagues want just to work 9-18 and then go home. I'd like to put myself in a new contest: go to US and work there for a management consulting company is my objective. I've already experienced European and Asian culture.

Essay: Still to think clearly about it. But every time I read Harvard Business Review and they talk about CEOs, I want to become one of them.

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, and probably INSEAD. But I want to go to HBS

Thank you for your time guys!!

Hi there!

I think you have a solid background:
- High GPA
- STEM background
- European/bilingual
- International exposure
- good work experience
This is all very positive and I think you have a fair chance of joining HBS provided you score well at GMAT (have you taken online tests to see how your fair?).
Best of luck to you!

Just to give you a feedback about GMAT. I did the test on mbacom and I got a 640 (82 percentile in IR, 76 in V and 42 in Q). I feel I have to improve the quant part a lot. What do you think? Is it feasible?
Send PM
Expert Reply
MicCat wrote:
admissionCoach wrote:
MicCat wrote:
Hi everybody, I'm thinking about applying to HBS in September 2020. I've not taken GMAT yet, but I'd like to get a glimpse of my opportunities.

Demographics: 27 years old (I will be 28 in September 2020), Italian, from a small town in the south.

Education:
• Undergrad: best engineering school in Italy, ranked among top15 engineering in the world, GPA: 110 out of 110. Industrial Engineering and Management (3 years, standard lenght)
• Master's Degree (2 years, standard lenght) in Industrial Engineering and Management with focus on Corporate Finance from Tokyo Institute of Technology, top50 school in the world, best engineering school in Japan. GPA 5 out of 5

GMAT: Have to take the test yet

Work Experience:
• Started professional career in design thinking strategy consulting as intern for 3 months in Tokyo office.
• Moved back to Italy where I joined Big4 as an Advisory consultant. Promoted to senior after 1 year and 6 months (usually it takes two years) and aiming to reach manager in 2021. Top performer, in 2019 I received a 200% bonus for what I did. Already managing small teams (2/3 people) and probably going to Japan this year for a project.
In total I've worked for about 3 years, will be 3.7 years in September 2020.

• Currently on the Board of Innovation of my company
• I am currently managing a project inside my company to promote knowledge sharing involving +50 people and inviting guests and experts in specific areas
• Member of the JA Italy association. I work as a Dream Coach, teaching students in high school about finance, management and how to run a business. Organizing business games at national and European levels
• Ex-member of Slush Asia, an event where investors and startuppers can meet to find good solutions and launch business ideas

Other:
• My Master's Thesis in Japan was good enough to go to the World Banking & Finance Symposium in Dubai in 2016. Currently still working with my Japanese mentor in order to publish the research with a good Finance Journal
• Had plenty of international exposure (during undergrad I went to Hungary for a governmental project, during Master's I went to Hong Kong for 1 month)
• Passionate about Japanese culture, I can speak Japanese fluently (other than English and a basic Spanish, and native Italian of course). I am part of the only Buddhist monastery in Italy where I often go to relax, help with growing vegetables and cooking

Post MBA goal: Although I like my current job, I'm looking for a more challenging opportunity. Most of my colleagues want just to work 9-18 and then go home. I'd like to put myself in a new contest: go to US and work there for a management consulting company is my objective. I've already experienced European and Asian culture.

Essay: Still to think clearly about it. But every time I read Harvard Business Review and they talk about CEOs, I want to become one of them.

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, and probably INSEAD. But I want to go to HBS

Thank you for your time guys!!

Hi there!

I think you have a solid background:
- High GPA
- STEM background
- European/bilingual
- International exposure
- good work experience
This is all very positive and I think you have a fair chance of joining HBS provided you score well at GMAT (have you taken online tests to see how your fair?).
Best of luck to you!

Just to give you a feedback about GMAT. I did the test on mbacom and I got a 640 (82 percentile in IR, 76 in V and 42 in Q). I feel I have to improve the quant part a lot. What do you think? Is it feasible?

You're right. You do need to improve the quant score significantly. And yes it can be done with preparation and lots of practice. but we have seen clients make very significant improvement with dedicated prep. Given your engineering background and quant work experience, you should be able to do it.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi can anyone help me review my profile for HBS class of 2023

GMAT: 760
Bachelor's: Electrical Engineering ( Anna University)
Gpa: 8.7/10(University top 51 rank)
Work experience: 4 years as Software Engineer from fortune 500 - PayPal, world's largest Payments platform. Promoted once from Software Developer to Senior Software Developer.

Co-curricular:
1. Active member of the community where we host and attend various conferences, Meetups , workshops related to Product Management.
2. Part of an elite community of young innovators who are selected( through interviews from a pool of 4.5k people) to pursue creative ideas and bring them to action at workplace in a way that would benefit the employees.
3. Attended various workshops and events related to Product Management.

Extra curricular:
1. Leading the wellness initiatives of Employees at the company. Devise plans, consult with the leadership team and implement them.
2. Leading the Social activities of the company. Have lead, organised and volunteered numerous such campaigns with various other Non-profit organisations
3. Worked with a Non-profit to collect funds for small scale entrepreneurs and lead the campaign.
4. Volunteered and mentored Children from rural backgrounds and help them with their careers, provide career guidance, etc
5. Was the Student Secretary of the college during undergrad. Responsible for voicing out student issues to the management board, coordinating with the management and organising various student events at college.
6. Was the Student Placement Coordinator and worked with the College Placement cell preparing the students for Placement drives and aided the Placement cell in bringing-in various companies for campus placements and smooth conduct of Campus Placements.

Hobbies: Play cricket- represented the company in tournaments
Avid marathon runner. Participated in numerous charity marathons conducted around my neighbourhood.
Part-time teaching at Orphanages

Goals - To get into Product Management at a Tech giant and design innovative products that will change the way we live in this modern era of technology. Want to create an impact with Innovative technology.

I am looking to apply for the class of 2023. Do you think I can stand a chance or are there any areas that I can improve and try for class of 2024?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks !
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
Hi can anyone help me review my profile for HBS class of 2023

GMAT: 760
Bachelor's: Electrical Engineering ( Anna University)
Gpa: 8.7/10(University top 51 rank)
Work experience: 4 years as Software Engineer from fortune 500 - PayPal, world's largest Payments platform. Promoted once from Software Developer to Senior Software Developer.

Co-curricular:
1. Active member of the community where we host and attend various conferences, Meetups , workshops related to Product Management.
2. Part of an elite community of young innovators who are selected( through interviews from a pool of 4.5k people) to pursue creative ideas and bring them to action at workplace in a way that would benefit the employees.
3. Attended various workshops and events related to Product Management.

Extra curricular:
1. Leading the wellness initiatives of Employees at the company. Devise plans, consult with the leadership team and implement them.
2. Leading the Social activities of the company. Have lead, organised and volunteered numerous such campaigns with various other Non-profit organisations
3. Worked with a Non-profit to collect funds for small scale entrepreneurs and lead the campaign.
4. Volunteered and mentored Children from rural backgrounds and help them with their careers, provide career guidance, etc
5. Was the Student Secretary of the college during undergrad. Responsible for voicing out student issues to the management board, coordinating with the management and organising various student events at college.
6. Was the Student Placement Coordinator and worked with the College Placement cell preparing the students for Placement drives and aided the Placement cell in bringing-in various companies for campus placements and smooth conduct of Campus Placements.

Hobbies: Play cricket- represented the company in tournaments
Avid marathon runner. Participated in numerous charity marathons conducted around my neighbourhood.
Part-time teaching at Orphanages

Goals - To get into Product Management at a Tech giant and design innovative products that will change the way we live in this modern era of technology. Want to create an impact with Innovative technology.

I am looking to apply for the class of 2023. Do you think I can stand a chance or are there any areas that I can improve and try for class of 2024?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks !

You have a competitive profile for HBS and other top MBA programs, and there are several that support your goals in addition to HBS. I strongly encourage you to apply to others, including Stanford, Haas, MIT Sloan, UCLA Anderson, and NYU Stern, in addition to HBS.

in terms of optimizing your profile, you're doing the right things. However when describing what your activities and experience, focus on what you achieved and not just what you did. You want to show that you're a person who makes a difference. If you've done so in the past, there's a greater likelihood you'll do so in the future.

Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
3.3 undergrad GPA in a STEM major (3.7 in math)
720 GMAT

Work Experience
Teach For America / NYC Teaching Fellows / Math For America program (3 years)
Strategy& / Oliver Wyman / LEK consulting (3 years)

Goal of MBA:
Learn and further entrepreneurship, business, and management skills to build a company that aims to revolutionize the education sector.
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
teamusa222 wrote:
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
720 GMAT

Work Experience

Goal of MBA:
Learn and further entrepreneurship, business, and management skills to build a company that aims to revolutionize the education sector.

Hi there, you have the makings of a solid profile for a top business school. However, if there is any way you can get your GMAT up further, I would try (~740) as you are below the average in addition to having a below average GPA. Where did you go to undergrad, if you are ok sharing? You are also slightly above the average years of work experience, especially if you have 6 years already and will be over 7 upon matriculation. To spread your risk, I would recommend applying to 5ish schools and building a great story around how your past work experience informs your long-term goal. Feel free to reach out if you would like to chat further, as it's hard to opine fully without knowing more detail about your background / work experience. Good luck!
Send PM
Expert Reply
teamusa222 wrote:
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
720 GMAT

Work Experience

Goal of MBA:

They'll love your TFA experience, but HBS is a stretch. Your GPA is below average as is your GMAT (a tad). And you also seem to have bounced around a bit as a consultant If you had above average achievement on the job and lots of leadership with impact, give HBS a try, but also apply to programs where you are more likely to get accepted. Look into Darden, Ross, CBS, Duke, and Cornell Johnson, and maybe USC.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Greetings Everyone.
I am Ritika from india.
Could any one please provide suggestion regarding improvements that needs to be consider for admission in B-Schools across globe based on below profile-

Profession - More than 2.5 years of work experience, currently working with big 4 as an actuarial consultant.

Education - partly qualified actuary, appearing for further actuarial exams, have 4GPA in Graduation

Volunteer interests- Currently associated with NGO for teaching underprivileged kids.
Also, was associated with actuarial foundation to contribute to my actuarial community.

Goal :- Use my skill set and diverse experience to develop an environment where everyone can significantly contribute to the development of society in various aspect that can improve the way of living for underprivileged.

I will be appearing for GMAT in june/july end for admission in 2021.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ritika,

Thanks for sharing your profile info!

Your GMAT score will be a key component of your competitiveness, so it's difficult to judge your admission chances before then. Ideally you should be shooting to score at or above the average for the schools that you're targeting (i.e. 730 for HBS / Stanford, Wharton, etc.). If you need to re-take the test once or twice to achieve that score, it'll be worth your time and effort.

The main concern with your work in the actuarial field is that it could be construed as overly technical. Top business schools in particular want students who are future business leaders, not just students who have technical prowess within their industries (although of course that's important, too). I would encourage you to spend some time thinking about and documenting anecdotes from your work experience where you demonstrated not only technical expertise but also leadership abilities, particularly anecdotes that highlight your soft skills (interpersonal communications, team building, mentorship, management, etc.), which will counter-balance your quantitative background. Also give some thought to who you want to ask to write letters of recommendation for you. These individuals should be significantly senior to you so that they're in a position to compare your performance and potential to your peers, and they should also be able to speak to your leadership potential.

Finally, I also urge you to think more deeply about your post-MBA goals. What you wrote in your post definitely sounds admirable, but it's also quite vague. Admissions committees want to see clarity and specificity in the stated goals of applicants. What do you mean by "an environment where everyone can significantly contribute to the development of society"? Do you mean education? Do you mean income inequality? Do you mean public health? You'll want to be much more specific about what kind of role, organization, or company you want to work for (or establish) both in the short term (up to 5 years) and long term (15+ years) after business school, as well as why you believe an MBA will be necessary to help you achieve those goals.

I hope that helps! If you'd like to chat further, feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com!

Best,

Doris
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts