Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: HBS '25
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
I got a Master of Science in Engineering (major in data sciences) with 3.75 GPA from one of the leading French graduate school of Engineering (ENSTA Paris).
I work for the General Inspection of a major French bank (it's a very selective Graduate program) 1y exp.
GMAT 700
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I am 34 yo derivatives lawyer in an investment bank in London with 10 years of experience. I am mid to senior in my team. I have always liked the business side of the work and I have had exposure to automation and innovation projects over the last couple of years. The main driver to do an EMBA is to gain managerial skills (which is something I have always wanted to do) and fast-track my career. I know it is early and it might be better to wait at least a couple of years but I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to apply this year to exploit lower competition and more time to prepare an application. I have spoken with Chicago Booth, HEC Paris and LBS and they have all been supportive when reviewing the CV. The main problem is financing - my employer will be supportive of me doing an EMBA but the chance they will fund me are remote. What are your views?
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
ypapandr wrote:
I am 34 yo derivatives lawyer in an investment bank in London with 10 years of experience. I am mid to senior in my team. I have always liked the business side of the work and I have had exposure to automation and innovation projects over the last couple of years. The main driver to do an EMBA is to gain managerial skills (which is something I have always wanted to do) and fast-track my career. I know it is early and it might be better to wait at least a couple of years but I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to apply this year to exploit lower competition and more time to prepare an application. I have spoken with Chicago Booth, HEC Paris and LBS and they have all been supportive when reviewing the CV. The main problem is financing - my employer will be supportive of me doing an EMBA but the chance they will fund me are remote. What are your views?

Hi there - you're right that you're on the earlier end of experience, but I don't think 10 years will rule you out. Sounds like you have some interesting experience to draw upon and a unique perspective to add to the class - showcasing these points will be critical. Further, schools like reapplicants (shows determination and strong interest) so you could always go that route if this attempt is unsuccessful. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 692
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41 (Online)
Send PM
In advance: Thank you for your time! :) This evaluation is for the class of 2023.

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
Undergrad: Electronics and Telecommunication Engg
Undergrad GPA: 2.78/4 (75th percentile). Overall rising graph and a strong finish with an avg of 3.43/4 for the final two semesters.
GMAT 750
Extra-curriculars in college: (A) Founded the entrepreneurship cell (B) Technical Head for college fest - led a team of 10 volunteers. (C) Dean's award for social service

Work experience:
3 years total with Teach for India. 1 month of international experience in the USA with Teach For America.

The First 2 years as a full-time teacher. I was given the additional responsibility of interviewing and selecting prospective candidates because of my sound critical thinking skills. In the third year, I joined them as an International Development Associate for their new US venture. I worked out of Mumbai, while the only other person working on this project, my manager worked out of NYC. Together we raised $500,000 in a year, and since this project was like an early-stage startup, I was tasked with many additional responsibilities such as board member recruiting & marketing.

Reason to get an MBA:
Long term: To work in an impact investing firm. Ties to my work experience - While fundraising I realized that traditional philanthropy is not sufficient to solve the complex challenges in the non-profit sector. I also enjoyed the Financial Accounting module in HBX CORe, and thus impact investing seemed to be the next logical step.

Short term: Investment banking (not necessarily at bulge bracket companies). I understand that getting into impact investing directly will be difficult and hence this can be a stepping stone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hello experts,
My name is Anand Singh,

Can someone please help me review my profile.

Indian male, engineering (BIT mesra) 7.7 GPA. Was the hostel network secretary for 2 years in college. Also been a part of college fest sponsorship team(Have certificate for the network secretary but no certificate for the sponsorship team). Also participated and won a few tech competitions in college(robotics, circuit design challenges)

4 years work ex with PwC(all 4 years in the same firm)
I work as a tech consultant (SAP technology) and have been an integral part of multiple key projects.
I am positive i can get good recommendations both from my bosses and my clients as required.

Took GMAT once and scored a 700(Q50, V35). A bit lower than my expectations so will be retaking the exam in 2 months.

I also have been involved in community service in my village. (Helped set up a milk chilling centre for ITC ltd. with my brother which had a significant impact on the village economy).
Also involved in an initiative(non-governmental/self initiated) to provide skill based training to youngsters in the village

Besides these i am also working on a startup which provides an e-learning and testing platform(website: https://www.aicharya.com). The product and websites are still in development but we have managed to generate some interest using our personal and professional networks.

I also like to play basketball as my hobby. Have been a part of school team and also PwC corporate team(But do not have any certificates to show for it).

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
taninvv wrote:
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
I got a Master of Science in Engineering (major in data sciences) with 3.75 GPA from one of the leading French graduate school of Engineering (ENSTA Paris).
I work for the General Inspection of a major French bank (it's a very selective Graduate program) 1y exp.
GMAT 700

I'd encourage you to get more work experience, seek out leadership opportunities, and raise your GMAT. You at least have the time to raise your GMAT. All these steps will improve your chances at HBS and other top U.S. MBA program.

Best,
Linda
Send PM
Expert Reply
ypapandr wrote:

Thanks for the post.

You're fine to apply to EMBA programs with ten years of experience. I tend to agree with you regarding now being a good time to apply. In terms of financing, that's a personal decision. Funding from employers is increasingly unlikely so you have to decide if the benefits are worth the cost. And as I said that's a personal decision.

Best,
Linda
Send PM
Expert Reply
YashKothari94 wrote:
In advance: Thank you for your time! :) This evaluation is for the class of 2023.

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
Undergrad GPA: 2.78/4 (75th percentile). Overall rising graph and a strong finish with an avg of 3.43/4 for the final two semesters.
GMAT 750
Extra-curriculars in college: (A) Founded the entrepreneurship cell (B) Technical Head for college fest - led a team of 10 volunteers. (C) Dean's award for social service

Work experience:
3 years total with Teach for India. 1 month of international experience in the USA with Teach For America.

The First 2 years as a full-time teacher. I was given the additional responsibility of interviewing and selecting prospective candidates because of my sound critical thinking skills. In the third year, I joined them as an International Development Associate for their new US venture. I worked out of Mumbai, while the only other person working on this project, my manager worked out of NYC. Together we raised $500,000 in a year, and since this project was like an early-stage startup, I was tasked with many additional responsibilities such as board member recruiting & marketing.

Reason to get an MBA:
Long term: To work in an impact investing firm. Ties to my work experience - While fundraising I realized that traditional philanthropy is not sufficient to solve the complex challenges in the non-profit sector. I also enjoyed the Financial Accounting module in HBX CORe, and thus impact investing seemed to be the next logical step.

Short term: Investment banking (not necessarily at bulge bracket companies). I understand that getting into impact investing directly will be difficult and hence this can be a stepping stone.

Before I respond, can you clarify what you're doing now? And intend to do until the start of school? Is that still with Teach for India? Are you currently in the "third year" working as an Int'l Development Assoc.?

Linda
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wulfang wrote:
Hello experts,
My name is Anand Singh,

Can someone please help me review my profile.

Indian male, engineering (BIT mesra) 7.7 GPA. Was the hostel network secretary for 2 years in college. Also been a part of college fest sponsorship team(Have certificate for the network secretary but no certificate for the sponsorship team). Also participated and won a few tech competitions in college(robotics, circuit design challenges)

4 years work ex with PwC(all 4 years in the same firm)
I work as a tech consultant (SAP technology) and have been an integral part of multiple key projects.
I am positive i can get good recommendations both from my bosses and my clients as required.

Took GMAT once and scored a 700(Q50, V35). A bit lower than my expectations so will be retaking the exam in 2 months.

I also have been involved in community service in my village. (Helped set up a milk chilling centre for ITC ltd. with my brother which had a significant impact on the village economy).
Also involved in an initiative(non-governmental/self initiated) to provide skill based training to youngsters in the village

Besides these i am also working on a startup which provides an e-learning and testing platform(website: https://www.aicharya.com). The product and websites are still in development but we have managed to generate some interest using our personal and professional networks.

I also like to play basketball as my hobby. Have been a part of school team and also PwC corporate team(But do not have any certificates to show for it).

Posted from my mobile device

HI Anand,

Several suggestions to make yourself a more competitive applicants for HBS, because it's a stretch now.

1. Raise that quant score.
2. You describe mostly what you've done or been a part of, but not the specific impact your efforts have had. In your application, be more specific about your role in any initiative, and also be specific about the impact and contribution of that initiative.
3. You may have it, but I don't see in your post the kind of leadership that HBS students have. Make sure to either highlight it, if you have it, or to get it if you don't have it.
4. If you can obtain international exposure, that would be helpful, but it's not required.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 692
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
YashKothari94 wrote:

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
GMAT 750

Work experience:

Reason to get an MBA:

Before I respond, can you clarify what you're doing now? And intend to do until the start of school? Is that still with Teach for India? Are you currently in the "third year" working as an Int'l Development Assoc.?

Linda

Thank you for the reply, Linda.

I'm not working for the past 5 months because of a personal and grave emergency in my family. I'm however using the time to pick up Investment Banking skills and to connect with club leaders at my target schools. I should hopefully be able to land an IB internship by May-June.
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
YashKothari94 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
YashKothari94 wrote:

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
GMAT 750

Work experience:

Reason to get an MBA:

Linda

Thank you for the reply, Linda.

I'm not working for the past 5 months because of a personal and grave emergency in my family. I'm however using the time to pick up Investment Banking skills and to connect with club leaders at my target schools. I should hopefully be able to land an IB internship by May-June.

I'm sorry to read that you had a serious family emergency for the last five months. Do tell the adcoms why you have a gap in employment. Applying while employed is important so hopefully you will soon find the work that you're looking for. Your GMAT is excellent. Don't translate your GPA, unless asked. Just provide the percentile grade if that's how you were graded. Top MBA programs can interpret your transcript and grades.

I'm assuming that you get that job and work steadily through the application cycle. Your chances of acceptance will be higher in the 2021-22 application cycle than the 2020-21 cycle, but there is no harm in trying for this upcoming cycle. And depending on how the economy does, the 2020-21 cycle may have slightly less competition than the 21-22 cycle.

Best,
Linda
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi taninvv, congrats on your masters at ENSTA. Great GPA. It's great that you work at a big bank with a selective program, but keep in mind US business schools are more focused on hearing stories that demonstrate leadership that status or prestige. Especially for HBS, pedigree does matter, however that is less indicative of being a successful business leader.

I enjoy working with French applicants and have helped several get into amazing schools with very not so great GMAT scores, by putting together amazing applications. Also, they are somewhat underrepresented. That said, you should definitely work on improving yours in order to maximize your chances and make the whole MBA application undertaking less risky. That is to say, having a low GMAT with respect to class profile makes things a bit less predictable. If there is another French guy with a similar profile but a better score, at a specific school, you will lose out.

Why is it that you have only one year of experience? That seems odd to me. I would agree with Linda: focus on developing your leadership profile by volunteering, just showing contribution in many different forms.

taninvv wrote:
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
GMAT 700
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I looked into deferred programs last semester and am interested. I am applying to HBS 2+2 program and would appreciate review of my profile. I am particularly curious to know if there's anything you think I should focus on in my essay that wouldn't be covered by the rest of my application that could be helpful for HBS to know.

Work Experience
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Facebook/Google/Amazon/Apple
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Lyft/Uber/Dropbox/Slack
- 3 Month Software Internship at a Consumer Bank
- 3 Month Product Management Internship at Silicon Valley tech company (not name brand)

Extracurriculars
- VC Scout ($25M seed stage fund) - manage 2 people
- University Tech Advisory Committee - Was the Chair of the committee and managed 7 other people
- University Senate
- University SGA
- Hackathon Organizer

Academics
- Undergrad School: Top 50 State School, Computer Science
- GPA: 3.75
- GMAT: 770 (50Q, 44V)

Demographics
- Asian American
- Male

MBA Goal
- Transition from my technical background to entrepreneurship.

Concerns
- GPA is low, HBS deferred average is 3.8. GPA would be a 3.85 but took a class over summer that tanked my GPA. Course was not difficult but our group had communication issues which caused problems.
- Not enough leadership which is hard to do in a college environment.
Send PM
Expert Reply
deathmatching wrote:
Hi, I looked into deferred programs last semester and am interested. I am applying to HBS 2+2 program and would appreciate review of my profile. I am particularly curious to know if there's anything you think I should focus on in my essay that wouldn't be covered by the rest of my application that could be helpful for HBS to know.

Work Experience
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Lyft/Uber/Dropbox/Slack
- 3 Month Software Internship at a Consumer Bank
- 3 Month Product Management Internship at Silicon Valley tech company (not name brand)

Extracurriculars
- VC Scout ($25M seed stage fund) - manage 2 people
- University Tech Advisory Committee - Was the Chair of the committee and managed 7 other people
- University Senate
- University SGA
- Hackathon Organizer

Academics
- Undergrad School: Top 50 State School, Computer Science
- GPA: 3.75
- GMAT: 770 (50Q, 44V)

Demographics
- Asian American
- Male

MBA Goal
- Transition from my technical background to entrepreneurship.

Concerns
- GPA is low, HBS deferred average is 3.8. GPA would be a 3.85 but took a class over summer that tanked my GPA. Course was not difficult but our group had communication issues which caused problems.
- Not enough leadership which is hard to do in a college environment.

You have a competitive profile for HBS 2+2. I'm not at all concerned about your 3.75 (vs the average 3.8) given your GMAT. Don't waste their time (or make yourself look silly) "explaining" it.

You say not enough leadership, but you list managing several people under your ECs. Make the most of your impact and your team's impact in those roles. You also mention other leadership roles, Again, make the most of your impact in those positions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
accepted You don't think I should mention the class at all? Also I should make my extracurricular leadership the focal point of my application?
Send PM
Expert Reply
deathmatching wrote:
accepted You don't think I should mention the class at all? Also I should make my extracurricular leadership the focal point of my application?

What was your grade in that class?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I received a C. Every other grade in college has been A/A-/B+ with an upwards trend (4.0 junior year).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts