Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
joao1213 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma svasan05

eliminated B,D and E because of "having" at the end and then eliminated C because of "and also they emit".

In C, isnt there a parallelism issue? "and also they emit" is not parallel to "Diesel engines burn", right? I would assume that to C be parallel, it would be needed a "and emit", right?

Thanks!

Yes, you would need "and emit" for parallelism and you cannot use "fewer" with carbon dioxide. It emits less carbon dioxide and fewer other gases (say only 2 of the 10 other gases that cause global warming).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
lets talk about the pattern
main clause +comm doing
in this pattern, comma doing can stand before or after the main clause
leaning gmat well, I get into Havard.
I learn gmat, making my english better.

the point here is that only some but not all conjunction can stand before doing to add some meaning
instead of leaning english, I go out for change
as well as leaning english, I leanr French.
in the above pattern, doing refers to the subject and modifies the whole clause. there are many , but not all, meaning relation between doing and the main clause.

because of learning hard, I pass gmat.

this is wrong because "because of" can not stand doing when doing refer to the subject -when doing is participle-.

" as well as" normally connect 2 similar things. I learn english as well as french.
but those phrases can stand before doing. doing in this case is participle, which has some, but not all, fuctions of adjective and verb. I dont know whether these phrase are conjunction or preposition when they stand before doing. but the key point is they can stand before doing this way

doing could be a pure noun , a participle or a gerund. pure noun can go with article such as "a, the" and adjective. participle has some, but not all , functions of adjective and has some but not all, functions of verb. gerund has some, but not all , function of noun and has some but not all, functions of verb.

doing is basic grammar point and gmat test this point a lot. but the problem is that most grammar books do not explain doing well and, non native test take fail on many SC problems.

many basic and hard points gmat tests because they are basic. but these points is not explained well in grammar books. for example, present perfect is not well explained in most grammar books though this point is basic. we come to this forum just to see the explanation from successful test takers who , though successful, are native to english and, so, can not give full explanation of those basic point of grammar. worst, the non natives read grammar books and focus on hard and not-basic points of grammar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: IESE '25 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
GPA: 2.24
Send PM
Can someone please elaborate on why emit is not a better choice than emitting?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TalonShade wrote:

Hi TalonShade,

There are a couple of things we should keep in mind here:

1. It is possible to use the -ing form of a verb after as well as.

2. We should probably not take a call on the emit vs. emitting split. Some people may find emit better, but others will insist that we use the -ing form after as well as.

The point is that there's nothing in this question that tells us that the GMAT considers either emit or emitting to be incorrect. This is most likely something that they added so as to distract test takers.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TalonShade wrote:

I'll echo Ajitesh: the biggest source of confusion here is that test-takers often treat "as well as" the same way they'd treat "and." But they're not the same. "And" is a parallelism marker. "As well as" doesn't have to be.

For more on that distinction, check out this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

"as well as" + gerund/noun is completely fine and don't need to be parallel to "burn."

Diesel engines burn less fuel than X as well as emitting less... OK

Pro tip: Don't use verb after "as well as" - in GMAT, "as well as" is mostly preceded by a noun

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

This choice is wrong because "fewer carbon dioxide" is illogical. It should say "less carbon dioxide" because you CANNOT count carbon dioxide. One carbon dioxide, two carbon dioxides.... NO!

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/business/it-gets-78-miles-a-gallon-but-us-snubs-diesel.html

The A2 is part of a powerful movement in Western Europe, where gasoline prices are often three times what they are in the United States. Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been implicated in global warming. After being disparaged for years because they were noisy, smelly, smoke-belching and sluggish, a new generation of much cleaner, more nimble diesel-powered cars is suddenly the height of fashion in Europe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 270
Send PM
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

1. less/fewer
2. s+v+o, as well as ving
s+v+tov2+o, as well as v2
s+v+o as well as s+v: comparison
3. one/the other
4. N+that have vpp/N+having
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Choice A (the OA) is poor construction, because of the phrase "as well as requiring" and its complete lack of parallel structure. However, GMAC says it's the answer, so we have no choice but to learn from that.

"The GMAT is a challenging test, as well as requiring the student to pay a $250 exam fee." is not an English sentence that one should ever speak or write in real life...but it's permissible, according to GMAC.

The only real takeaways from this highly flawed SC question? If GMAC says it's correct, then it's correct—and correct answers do not have to be perfect, or even close to perfect. Yes, Choice A is bad, but choices B, C, D, and E are all worse.

The sentence would obviously read much better as "The GMAT is a challenging test that requires the student to pay a $250 exam fee." or "The GMAT is a challenging test, one that requires the student to pay a $250 exam fee."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi experts,

I got this question wrong and after going through the forums I could not find my doubt/error.

I eliminated Option (A) since "less" was not in the comparative form.

Why do we use "fewer" in Option (A) but not "lesser"?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
test9032 wrote:
Hi experts,

I got this question wrong and after going through the forums I could not find my doubt/error.

I eliminated Option (A) since "less" was not in the comparative form.

Why do we use "fewer" in Option (A) but not "lesser"?

Thanks!

The opening clause tells us that diesel engines burn less fuel than gasoline engines, so when we see "less carbon dioxide," we can assume that we're getting a similar comparison. There's no need to restate "than gasoline engines" since that's already been established. And because carbon dioxide is not itself countable, "less" is appropriate. ("Lesser" has a different meaning altogether, suggesting something to the effect of "not as great." We use "less" when comparing uncountable quantities.)

"Fewer" is describing "other gases." Because gases are countable, "fewer" is correct here.

I hope that clears things up!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey test9032

Happy to help you with this.

Your confusion is understandable. A lot of students get confused between the words 'less' and 'lesser'. Allow me to set the record straight.

"Less" is the uncountable counterpart of the word 'fewer'. 'Fewer' is used with countable nouns; whereas 'less' is used with countable nouns. Here are a few examples:
a. The people care less about the environment than about their comfort.
b. I earn less than I spend.
c. The more friends we have, the less lonely we feel.

"Lesser" is an adjective that means "not as great in size, amount or importance as something/somebody else". Let's look at some examples:
a. A lesser man would have given up.
b. The Gods ignore us lesser mortals.
c. He pleaded guilty to the lesser offence.

So, as you can see, the word of comparison is 'less' and not 'lesser'.

I hope this improves your understanding.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
SME & Product Creator
e-GMAT
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
tejal777 wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/business/it-gets-78-miles-a-gallon-but-us-snubs-diesel.html

The A2 is part of a powerful movement in Western Europe, where gasoline prices are often three times what they are in the United States. Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been implicated in global warming. After being disparaged for years because they were noisy, smelly, smoke-belching and sluggish, a new generation of much cleaner, more nimble diesel-powered cars is suddenly the height of fashion in Europe.

Here is my complete explanation of this question that bothers many people.

The sentence tells us that Diesel engines burn less fuel than gasoline engines. They also emit less carbon dioxide and far fewer of the other dangerous gases.

The first decision point is ‘as well as’ vs ‘and also.’ Usage of neither is incorrect.
‘and’ is a conjunction and will take a verb after it while ‘as well as’ is a preposition and will take a noun/gerund after it. Hence, both ‘as well as emitting’ and ‘and also emit’ make sense. Yes, ‘also’ is redundant here but sometimes we use it for emphasis so I cannot eliminate options based on that. I will prefer ‘as well as emitting’ but not rule out ‘and also emit’.

Option (B) uses ‘as well as emit’ which is incorrect. We need a noun/gerund after ‘as well as.’
Also, we do not need parallel structure with ‘as well as’ because it does not join equal elements. When ‘and’ joins elements, then they are parallel.

In options (C) and (D), ‘and also they emit…’ have multiple redundancies. Here ‘they’ is also redundant because the subject here is the same as the subject of the previous clause ‘diesel engines.’ So we do not need to repeat it.

Diesel engines burn less gasoline and emit far lesser 〖CO〗_2… (correct)

Also, it is better to use ‘that have been implicated’ and not ‘having been implicated.’
‘Having been implicated’ would normally require another action. It begs the question – then what?
Having been implicated in the case, he decided to meet a lawyer.

When we use only ‘having been implicated’ it seems to suggest that they were implicated and are not implicated any more. Hence options (A) and (C) are better than (B), (D) and (E).

Option (C) commits the blunder of using far fewer (countable) with the quantity of carbon dioxide gas (uncountable).

Options (D) and (E) fail to mention carbon dioxide while mentioning ‘other gasses’ later on. When we say ‘other gasses,’ we need to have mentioned some gasses specifically before.
Hence, options (B), (C), (D) and (E) have multiple errors.

Option (A) is correct and preferable on all counts.

Answer (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

It’s a funny quirk of English: if “as well as” were changed to “and” then we’d want the verbs “burn” and “emit” to be in parallel form. But since we have “as well as”, we’re better off using “emitting”, as we did in (A).

More importantly, I can’t make any sense of the “having been” at the end of the underlined portion. For that reason, we can scrap (B).

Hi GMATNinja,

Would you please help to explain more detail about why 'having been' is wrong in B?
Isn't 'having been' a short form of 'that have been'?

Thank you so much.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [2]

Send PM
Kudos