It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1847 [3], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2014, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
I am bit surprised that this question is from GMATPREP. Answer choices do not sound natural, but we can use POE to eliminate wrong answers.

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

A. of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having -- emit is a verb and conjunction is missing.
C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have -- fewer CO2 -- we should use less to describe quantity of gas.
D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having -- meaning lost -- less CO2 is missing -- having is not an appropriate modifier.
E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having -- meaning lost -- less CO2 is missing -- close to A but eliminated because of meaning loss -- having is not an appropriate modifier.

So we are left with A and we will have to accept as well as emitting as -ing modifier to main clause, technically nothing wrong in such use, but there are better ways to write such sentence.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1847 [3], given: 229

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9050 [3], given: 335

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
b2bt wrote:

The sentence is actually taken form NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/busin ... iesel.html

I guess option B, D, and E are wrong because of "having been" which acts as a verb (with an incorrect tense)

I found A a little awkward because of the phrase/modifier ", as well as emitting" although it is a valid construction.

I'm not sure why C is wrong. Probably, because of the pronoun but even with that mistake, I would rather prefer C.
The subject of the sentence is "Diesel Engines" and when the sentence says " , and also they emit" it is quite biased to say "they" refers to the subject.

Can someone elaborate why A is preferred more than C? Are there any other mistakes? Is the pronoun usage absolutely invalid or is it okay?

Hi b2bt,

Let us take a look at the sentence structure for option C:

• Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size,
• and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses
o that have been implicated in global warming.

Now, there are two errors in this sentence:

Idiom Error: Using ‘fewer’ with the uncountable noun ‘carbon dioxide’ is incorrect. ‘Fewer’ is used to compare countable nouns. For uncountable nouns, ‘less’ is used.

Joey took fewer steps than I did to reach to the sofa. (Steps- Countable Noun)
Joey took less time than I did to reach to the sofa. (Time- Uncountable Noun)

Redundancy Error: Since the connector ‘and’ is already used in this sentence to represent the additional information, using ‘also’ is redundant.

Also, since the pronoun ‘they’ acts as the subject of the second clause, it refers to the noun that is the subject of the previous clause. (In this very point, the pronoun ‘it’ refers to ‘the pronoun they’.) So, there is no pronoun error in this option.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9050 [3], given: 335

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 621 [1], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A. of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

Hi,
Can someone please help me with below queries:
1.less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases
I understand why to use "less" for CD [CD is un-countable] but what about "far fewer". Like CD, "the other gases" are also UC so why to use fewer,which is countable.
2. In the option B, is "having" modifying "the other gases" ?

I appreciate your inputs on the shared queries.

Just to add..
Another reason why B is wrong :
"emit" is a verb and hence a conjunction is req it to connect with burn.
Also, in option A emitting is the ing-modifier- modifying the preceding clause and makes sense with sub "Diesel engines ".
Regards.

Last edited by JarvisR on 13 Aug 2014, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 621 [1], given: 606

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9050 [1], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JarvisR wrote:
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

Hi,
Can someone please help me with below queries:
1.less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases
I understand why to use "less" for CD [CD is un-countable] but what about "far fewer". Like CD, "the other gases" are also UC so why to use fewer,which is countable.
2. In the option B, is "having" modifying "the other gases" ?

I appreciate your inputs on the shared queries.
Regards.

Hi JarvisR,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

1. The choice says that the car emits less carbon dioxide. This is correct because carbon dioxide as a gas cannot be counted. Hence, use of "less" is correct here. And you completely understand that point.

Now, the second part of the choice says that the car emits far fewer of the other gases. This means that the diesel run car does not emit as many toxic gases as gasoline run cars do. Say for example, if gasoline cars emit 5 toxic gases, the diesel run cars emit only 2 of these gasses. So here the sentence is talking about the number of toxic gases emitted by these two types of cars. Noe the types of gases are certainly countable. hence, use of "fewer" is correct here.

2. Yes, "having been..." modifies preceding noun entity "other gases". However, this expression is not as precise as "that have been implicated..."

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9050 [1], given: 335

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 20:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2014, 12:46
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
correct. less gas, fewer other gases (number) emitting is noun form so correct.
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
having been implicated is dangling modifier...no clear modifying entity..eliminate
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
we cannot count carbon dioxide fewer is wrong..eliminate
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
same mistake as b
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having
same mistake as b

devinawilliam83 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
Why not C?

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 257

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 12:22
Nice question
It has to be letter A:

Correct it has a complete clause, and a second sentence which depends on the first one.

Incorrect Who emits? the second clause is incomplete.

C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have
Incorrect Who is they? which engine is the sentence about?

D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having
Incorrect same problem that we have with letter C, and the meaning of the sentence is changed

E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having
Incorrect It changes the meaning

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 22:54
Hi Douglasvg,

Kindly highlight how you infer that the first one is different from second. IMO both are connected by "as well as".

Also for both the sentences "diesel engines" is the subject.

Also, if you could clarify the doubts I have raised, would be really grateful.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Douglasvg,

Kindly highlight how you infer that the first one is different from second. IMO both are connected by "as well as".

Also for both the sentences "diesel engines" is the subject.

Also, if you could clarify the doubts I have raised, would be really grateful.

Hi Dominicraj,

in the first option you don't have a noun, however you have a verb with ING, therefore it is talking about the Diesel that is in the first Noun.

In the second option you don't have any noun. therefore it is a run-on sentence, which makes the second option wrong. You can see it because if we had a noun in the second part, we would have 2 independent clauses.

"having been" is also an awkward construction.

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 14

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 04:32
Hi Douglasvg,

in the first option you don't have a noun, however you have a verb with ING, therefore it is talking about the Diesel that is in the first Noun.

Actually "emit" is also a verb but then its not in its usual form of "verb-ed" or "verb-ing". I agree that "having" is awkward and hence you have eliminated.

You can also refer to Mitch Hunt's explanation here:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/diesel-engin ... 88260.html

Kudos to you for explaining buddy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 21:59
Dominicraj

Plz read the following link, especially the two sentences at the bottom suggesting why we need VERBing after "as well as"

site.uit.no/english/grammar/aswellas/

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 00:11
The correct answer should be A

One can very easily restructure option A (with same SV, TENSE, and MEANING) as:-
Emitting far less CO2 and far fewer other gases that have been implicated in global warming, Diesel engines also burn as less as 30% fuel than gasoline engines of similar size.

As we can see Emitting is correct and burn is also correct. There is no issue of parallelism. For example analyse this sentence.

Creating a mouth watering strawberry cake in the final of the cooking competition, the twin sisters strenghten the believe that often the best recipes are simple.
No one will use strengthening just to create parallelism because then the verb-tense agreement will fall apart.

Same with our question here.

A is corrrect

comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A. of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the
other gasses having
C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses
that have
D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses
having
E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses
having

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 00:12
The correct answer should be A

One can very easily restructure option A (with same SV, TENSE, and MEANING) as:-
Emitting far less CO2 and far fewer other gases that have been implicated in global warming, Diesel engines also burn as less as 30% fuel than gasoline engines of similar size.

As we can see Emitting is correct and burn is also correct. There is no issue of parallelism. For example analyse this sentence.

Creating a mouth watering strawberry cake in the final of the cooking competition, the twin sisters strenghten the believe that often the best recipes are simple.
No one will use strengthening just to create parallelism because then the verb-tense agreement will fall apart.

Same with our question here.

A is corrrect

comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A. of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the
other gasses having
C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses
that have
D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses
having
E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses
having

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 12:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 03:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that burned by gasoline engines of comparable size while emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other greenhouse gases that have been implicated in global warning.

A) burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that burned by gasoline engines.
B) burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that for gasoline engines that are
C) burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than do gasoline engines
D) burning as much as 30 percent less fuel than do gasoline engines that are
E) that burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that burned by gasoline engines

Discuss each choice.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if you like my post :)

Last edited by WaitingSurprises on 02 Aug 2016, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 05:13
I Choose A. Below is my explanation for same:

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that burned by gasoline engines of comparable size while emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other greenhouse gases that have been implicated in global warning.

Makes perfect sense

Diesel engines does not burn fuel for gasoline engines

Than Gasoline engines do , would have been a better construction.

D) burningas much as 30 percent less fuel than do gasoline engines that are
Burn vs burning ( burning is wrong usage of tense)

E) that burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than that burned by gasoline engines
Original sentence is a statement presenting fact. Extra usage of that in starting tries to show comparison.
eg Diesel engine that burn fuel less than that burned by petrol is more economical.

Please share the OA

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 07:17
kochikame wrote:

D) burning as much as 30 percent less fuel than do gasoline engines that are

Discuss each choice.
OA to follow.

C is clear winner. A, D and E are out straight awary. B is too much wordy. Preposition "do" correctly signifies the burning of gasoline and diesel engines.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 08:09
lets have some more takers before I post the OA :)

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if you like my post :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 798 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 09:29
+ 1 for A.
In A, That clearly refers to fuel.

C seems awkward.

Please post the OA

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 798 [0], given: 64

Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7915 [5], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The point to note while tackling comparison question is to see what is immediately after the comparison marker ‘than’. If it is a noun, we must check whether nouns are indeed being compared. If it is a verb, we must probe whether two actions are being compared.
The intent of the passage is to compare between how much the DEs burn in comparison to how much similar vehicles do. Therefore, we must look for an action word after the marker ’than’.

Only C and D compare the actions, we may simply dump A, B and E. Between C and D, D is a clear fragment because it lacks a verb for DEs. Therefore C.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7915 [5], given: 364

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2016, 09:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap