It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

11 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 593

Kudos [?]: 1134 [11], given: 100

Location: Kolkata,India
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2009, 23:19
11
This post received
KUDOS
60
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (00:54) correct 65% (01:11) wrong based on 1619 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kudos [?]: 1134 [11], given: 100

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 21 [5], given: 1

Location: Astoria, NYC
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 19:20
5
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer is A....wow good question. I found this on another website. I take no credit.

"as well as" is not a truly parallel construction; it creates a modifier that is not part of the skeleton of the original sentence. modifiers, as we know, don't have to be parallel to the main part of the sentence.

your best route here is just to memorize the fact that "...as well as VERBing" is an acceptable construction.

Kudos [?]: 21 [5], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: I wish!
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 784

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 33

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 23:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is A. In option B "having" is awkward..

"and also" is considered redundant (almost always) so options C. D and E are out. Also "having" is awkward in option D and E.
_________________

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 33

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1476

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 09:37
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
'having been' is almost always wrong on gmat....that leaves A and C.

But I forgot that "and also" is almost always wrong on gmat. Hard to remember small small things...:(

Picked C.

Agree with A though.

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: I wish!
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 784

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 33

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 17:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Exceptions

Active voice: "Having taken the medicine, Sally felt fine." (Sally took the medicine).
Timeline: "Having taken..." occurs in the "double past" BEFORE another past event of "felt."

Passive voice: "Having been cooked, the food looked more savory." (Food was cooked).
Timeline: "Having been cooked..." occurs in the "double past" BEFORE another past event of "looked."

From: gmat-grammar-book-verbs-96445.html
_________________

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Kudos [?]: 479 [1], given: 33

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 310 [7], given: 43

Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 21:12
7
This post received
KUDOS
gkslko101 wrote:
A seems correct however as well as construction is troubling.
Present participle is used to show the effect on any action in the previous clause..
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size.....emitting
far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have....

Emitting........ is showing the effect of burning by diesel engines..


noboru wrote:
OA is A. However, burn and emmiting is not parallel. Could anybody clarify?
Thanks.


The parallelism is not between burn and emitting. Pay attention to the construction of the sentence
the parallelism is between far less and far fewer .
"as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses"
The parallelism is created by the connecting word and , that connect one type of gas with other types of gas. The verb emitting refers to both parts.
_________________

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Kudos [?]: 310 [7], given: 43

13 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: done, waiting fingerss crossed!
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 132

Kudos [?]: 569 [13], given: 13

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2011, 10:24
13
This post received
KUDOS
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MISSION CRITICAL MODIFIER (As exception to touch rule of noun modifier)

A modifier need not necessarily modify the immediately preceding noun!!
“A heap of coins weighing more than one ton” - Now, is it the coins which are(each) weighing more than 1 ton or is it the heap which IS weighing more than 1 ton??

A “Mission-Critical” Modifier Falls Between (often an of-phrase that defines the noun). In these cases, the modifier modifies the entire noun phrase.

“He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.”
• Without the modifier “of dodging Opponents” the noun “way” is meaningless. Next, The clause “that . . .” modifies the entire noun phrase “a way of dodging …” and not just the word “opponents”. . . Thus “of dodging opponents” is a Mission Critical Modifer

“Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among growers of heirloom tomatoes, who generally are willing to pay a premium for organic products”
• The clause “that . . .” correctly modifies ‘fertilizer’
• “who . . .” modifies the “growers”, despite the mission critical modifier in-between “of heirloom tomatoes”

Important Example (Mission Critical Modifier)
Q. Agricultural scientists have estimated that the annual loss by erosion of arable land caused by heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls approaches two million acres per year.
A. the annual loss by erosion of arable land caused by heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls approaches two million acres per year
B. the erosion of heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls causes a loss of arable land approaching two million acres per year
C. erosion caused by heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls results in a loss of arable land approaching two million acres per year (ignore "of arable land)(approaching modifies ‘Loss’)
D. an annual loss approaching two million acres of arable land per year results from erosion caused by heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls
E. annually a loss of arable land approaching two million acres per year is caused by erosion due to heavy rainfall and inadequate flood controls

Important Examples (Mission Critical Modifier + parallelism with Past & present Participle)
Q. Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have. (ignore the –of phrase, “of living . . . have)(improved parallel to introducing)
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutant, having

Q. Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A. of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have (ignore “of comparable . . . as)(burn parallel to emitting)
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having
C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have
D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having
E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

NOTE:
Improved = Past Participle and Introducing = Present Participle
Burn = Past Participle and Emitting = Present Participle


Took me a lot of effort to crack this!!

hope it helps all
Target760
_________________

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Kudos [?]: 569 [13], given: 13

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4287

Kudos [?]: 7901 [2], given: 363

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 09:17
2
This post received
KUDOS
Step 1. Kick out C, D and E, because they are vastly distorting or deviating from the text’s intent. Original separates CO2 from the other gases and uses the uncountable comparative less because a gas is uncountable. By explicitly grouping other pollutants together and calling them gasses, the text permits the use of the countable comparative fewer to describe them. C bundles CO2 with other gases while D and E don’t even mention CO2. They can be dropped in one stroke.

Step 2. Between A and B, we have to grudgingly accept A, because of B’s indulgence in using 'having been’. However, it is no great solace that in GMAC quarters the expression ‘as well as’ plus participle is accepted as passable and parallel to a verb, despite its awkwardness.

Lesson: This is a GPREP question. Simply accept the official verdict, which is A
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Kudos [?]: 7901 [2], given: 363

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 17:52
daagh wrote:
Step 1. Kick out C, D and E, because they are vastly distorting or deviating from the text’s intent. Original separates CO2 from the other gases and uses the uncountable comparative less because a gas is uncountable. By explicitly grouping other pollutants together and calling them gasses, the text permits the use of the countable comparative fewer to describe them. C bundles CO2 with other gases while D and E don’t even mention CO2. They can be dropped in one stroke.

Step 2. Between A and B, we have to grudgingly accept A, because of B’s indulgence in using 'having been’. However, it is no great solace that in GMAC quarters the expression ‘as well as’ plus participle is accepted as passable and parallel to a verb, despite its awkwardness.

Lesson: This is a GPREP question. Simply accept the official verdict, which is A


I thought the intended meaning was that diesel engines emit less carbon dioxide and other gases (uncountable) so the use of fewer is wrong. If we say "fewer of the other gasses" wouldn't it mean that those other gasses were reduced in variety not in quantity?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4287

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 18:52
That is exactly the point of the text’s intent. If gasoline engines emit, for example’s sake, 10 varieties or numbers of gasses, then diesel engines emit only 5 numbers. The plural indicator is the use of the word 'gases'. Therefore the countable comparative ‘fewer’ is to be preferred over ‘less’ for other gases. Generally, when a plural noun is under issue, then it is a countable noun and it will entail the corresponding countable companions.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: done, waiting fingerss crossed!
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 132

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 13

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:36
noboru wrote:
Target760 wrote:
noboru wrote:
This is very interesting, but...what does it have to do with the problem at issue?
Thanks.



But you say that burn is past participle. I think that it is actually present simple. The past participle would be burnt.

I think that the point is that "as well as" is not a parallel indicator.




Hi Noboru

i did some home work and i have come back with some answer (although we know that question can be solved with POE and by paying attention to 'Less', 'fewer' etc), but why 'emitting' is right is what i will try and explain

for better clarity i will compare A & B

first we can ignore 'as well as' as its a conjunction.

B is incorrect: ‘emit ...' is an adjective modifier – and because of touch rule - incorrectly modifying the "noun phrase", 'gasoline engines of comparable size'

A is correct: ‘emitting....' is an adverbial modifier correctly modifying the phrase 'Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel ...' . This correct because adverbial modifier can be placed more freely . . furthermore, " comma + ing" denotes direct or inevitable consequence of what is described in the main clause i.e. Use of ‘ing form’, after a ‘comma’ works best when to express the result in the main clause.. . in this case "adverbial modifier" - emitting - is expressing the result which goes like this " . . . because diesel engine burns lesser fuel --> so ---> its generated less CO2 and gases"

Target760
_________________

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 198

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 11

Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 01:55
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
Why not C?

Last edited by PiyushK on 23 Oct 2014, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
formatted

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Enjoying the MBA journey :)
Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 137

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 16

Location: United States (DC)
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 02:41
Here goes the explanation:

Can we count 'carbon-dioxide'? No we can't. So 'fewer carbon-dioxide' is a wrong usage whereas 'less carbon-dioxide' is correct.
Similarly, we can count 'number of other gases' hence 'fewer of the other gases' is the correct usage.
Using these points, we can quickly eliminate option C.

Now let's look at the have vs having split. The part 'emitting far less carbon-dioxide and far fewer of the other gases' is incomplete without the phrase 'implicated in global warming'. Hence the word joining these two parts should do so such that the meaning is completed. This can be done by using the word 'that have' instead of 'having' because the former gives equal weightage to both these parts whereas the latter makes the part 'implicated in global warming' subordinate to the main clause 'emitting far .... gases'. So we prefer 'that have' over 'having'.

Thus, we can eliminate options B, D and E for this reason and hence correct answer should be option A.

Cheers!
_________________

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 07:53
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having

Why not C?


Carbon dioxide is a non countable noun. Hence using fewer is incorrect. C is incorrect. "That" should be used because we need the essential relative pronoun here.

A wins.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 355

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 46

Location: US
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 09:24
sudish wrote:
Here goes the explanation:

Can we count 'carbon-dioxide'? No we can't. So 'fewer carbon-dioxide' is a wrong usage whereas 'less carbon-dioxide' is correct.
Similarly, we can count 'number of other gases' hence 'fewer of the other gases' is the correct usage.
Using these points, we can quickly eliminate option C.

Now let's look at the have vs having split. The part 'emitting far less carbon-dioxide and far fewer of the other gases' is incomplete without the phrase 'implicated in global warming'. Hence the word joining these two parts should do so such that the meaning is completed. This can be done by using the word 'that have' instead of 'having' because the former gives equal weightage to both these parts whereas the latter makes the part 'implicated in global warming' subordinate to the main clause 'emitting far .... gases'. So we prefer 'that have' over 'having'.

Thus, we can eliminate options B, D and E for this reason and hence correct answer should be option A.

Cheers!


@sudish - nice explanation. Thx.
2 check points -
a) I guess use of "they" is ambigous in option C & D. It is not clear that "they" is referring to either Diesel engines or gasoline engines. Am I correct?
b) I picked (B) before going too far becasue "burn" and "emit" are in parallel in option B. However, I understand "that" is must needed. I'll prefer the use of "emit" instead of "emitting" in option A. Whats say?

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Last edited by Capricorn369 on 06 Nov 2011, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2011, 09:26
A does not seem parallel to me. 'Burn' is not parallel to 'emitting'. Any comments on that?

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:20
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having

Why not C?


I went by parallelism
That made me eliminate A,E
Among B C D , C seemed best although it changes the meaning (and other gases => and far fewer other gases )
So what is the catch here ? "burn" and "emit" need not be parallel ? Because "Burn" is the main point of the sentence ?


If not for parallelism, I am confused between A and B
I Will go for A

A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gases having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gases having (Carbon dioxide missing)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2013
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2013, 09:47
tejal777 wrote:
. Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have
B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have
D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having
E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

Wats the issue with b?


1) The OS correctly compares the fuel burning tendency of Diesel engines with gasoline engines.

2) "as well as" in the later part of the sentence signals a parallelism marker -> Diesel engines [X] as well as [Y] far less carbon dioxide gas and....

From 2 - A & E are out. From 1 - D is out.
Out of B & C, "having" in B looks to be modifying the Diesel engines and not the other gases.

Answer is C

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 12

Location: Taiwan
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 01:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
"as well as" here is equivalent to "in addition to" but not "and". Thus this sentence suggests that the releasing of co2 and other gases are the results of burning diesel engines. Given a cause and effect relationship, the parallelism between burn and emit should not be valid. Instead, the clause starting with "emitting" is an adverbial clause modifying "burn".
please correct me if i am wrong,
Ted
_________________

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 12

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 287

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 242

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2014, 06:56
noboru wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of
comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have
been implicated in global warming.
A. of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of
the other gasses that have
B. of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the
other gasses having
C. of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses
that have
D. that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses
having
E. that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses
having


The sentence is actually taken form NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/busin ... iesel.html

I guess option B, D, and E are wrong because of "having been" which acts as a verb (with an incorrect tense)

I found A a little awkward because of the phrase/modifier ", as well as emitting" although it is a valid construction.

I'm not sure why C is wrong. Probably, because of the pronoun but even with that mistake, I would rather prefer C.
The subject of the sentence is "Diesel Engines" and when the sentence says " , and also they emit" it is quite biased to say "they" refers to the subject.

Can someone elaborate why A is preferred more than C? Are there any other mistakes? Is the pronoun usage absolutely invalid or is it okay?

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 242

Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2014, 06:56

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.