Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-09-2014
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM TexasWannaBeCali: How’s that Checklist Coming…
Okay so is it just me or is the month of June flying by? I swear just a few days ago I was writing my “Goals for June” post. That tells you just how far I got to checking things off of the list… Not far :(  I tend to be a task oriented person so doing several things at once kind of blows my mind and I like to stay focused on one thing, but with June nearing its end in less than 2 weeks, I plan on doing some serious checking off the next few days. Yay for multitasking.

Travelling all last week really cost me some valuable checks I must say. When I’m in the office, it’s just so much easier to manage my time, but when I’m at the client site, we have so much to do in so little time that I work way longer hours than normal so I hardly had time to do anything but work and eat.. and occasionally sleep. I was able to get alot of GMAT studying done though in the airport thanks to several flight delays. And of course I made time for a few quick workouts in the crappy hotel gym (I had to train for a 5k I was running Saturday morning), but everything else.. not so much. Thank goodness I’m back in the office and in a routine again.

I plan on finalizing my school choices this weekend. I started a spreadsheet that will help me clearly compare the pros, cons, requirements, and my thoughts on each program so I can make a decision. I started with 10 programs and will be narrowing it down to 3 or 4. I plan on sharing that with you guys hopefully by Monday.

I also plan on taking a GMAT practice test on Sunday so fingers crossed that goes well. I’ve been so focused on quant the last few weeks that I feel like verbal is a distant memory. Once I’m comfortable with both sections I will try and do a better job of balancing a little bit of each either everyday or every other day, because I don’t like feeling like I know one way more than the other. I’ll definitely need a little verbal review time before any practice test begins.

I have a few sources for practice tests, including the 2 on the GMAT site and 6 on the Manhattan GMAT site. I’ve read the ones on the GMAT site are as close to the real test as it can get. I initially wanted to save those until closer to my test date, but I also don’t want the MGMAT one to give me a false sense of security if it’s in fact a little easier. Either way, the practice will be good, especially as far as getting my timing down.

Random side note: The 12-14 year old girls group I mentor will start Summer Reading Club next week and the book we’re reading is “The Fault in Our Stars”. I’m sure you’ve heard of it and/or seen the commercials for the movie that just came out. It’s about a cancer patient played by Shailene Woodley who falls in love with a boy in her support group. I am not the most outwardly emotional person so when the girls decided that’s the book they wanted to read it was one of those “Yayyy” on the outside “Ugh” on the inside, kind of moments. I’m not the biggest fan of sappy love stories (probably because i’m single and cold hearted lol) or wanting to cry my eyes out, so I’m kind of dreading the emotional pull this book will have on me. I’ve heard it’s a great movie and even better novel, so despite the inevitable tears I will be shedding, I know it will teach not just the girls a lesson, but myself as well. Cheers to tears right?

At this point in the year, I would usually feel like October is so far away, but with all this admissions craziness I feel like it’s right around the corner and coming way too quickly. So much to do, so little time. Hope everyone else out there is making progress, Sept/Oct will be here before we know it!!

Me and friends at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Saturday morning.. Such a great cause. My favorite charity to contribute to and participate in. And yes… we are wearing suspenders and tutus.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-09-2014
Send PM
FROM TexasWannaBeCali: The Decision
Not to be confused with Lebron James’ Infamous “The Decision”.

Sorry for the hiatus… I’ve had so much going on with either work or friends that I haven’t had time to update my blog or (unfortunately) study as much as I would’ve liked. I’m actually in Atlanta for the week for work as we speak so hopefully this weekend everything will be back to normal and I can focus. But anyways, back to “The Decision”

I have FINALLY decided the schools I would like to apply to. My top choice UCLA has not changed of course, but I’ve added and eliminated a few of my initial selections. It’s crazy when you start to consider the money and time invested for applying to each program, that you really ask yourself  “If I were accepted here, would I REALLY want to go? Hands down. No questions asked.” For every school I considered, I did this and it really helped me eliminate alot of schools I was pretty meh on. It’s so hard because you feel like the more you apply to, the higher chance you have of getting in somewhere, but I feel like that can be the opposite effect with bschool apps sometimes, because stretching yourself too thin can have you end up with 6 so so application rather than 3 amazing ones.

With that being said, I decided not to include a “safe” school in my selections. I want to go to a top 20 school and if I don’t get in this time around, I’d rather beef up my profile and try again next year rather than go somewhere that might limit my opportunities for success. I know an MBA is what you make of it, but in my opinion, at the end of the day, there are rankings for a reason right?

I chose my schools based on a number of criteria. I’m gonna skip the part about rank, program quality, faculty achievements, etc because these are all top schools and for the most part, these criteria are interchangable. I made my decision more so on location, job placement, and strong recruiting in healthcare/pharma/biotech.

• Anderson (UCLA): I love everything about this school, the people, the location, the opportunities. I would honestly be devastated if I didn’t get in
  • Haas (UC-Berkeley): In comparison to UCLA, Berkeley is even more top notch when it comes to ranking, perception, and placement in the healthcare industry. My one drawback is the culture of Berkeley and SF in general. Haas is my #2 for now, but I will be paying a visit this fall to make sure I like the fit
  • Fuqua (Duke): I know my username pretty much contradicts this pick, but the opportunities Duke offers in healthcare can’t be overlooked. And while it’s not in California, I feel like the Duke name could get me there after graduation.
  • McCombs (UT): Good ‘ole Texas. Growing up in Texas, I have always been in love with this school and honestly so is everyone else. I would feel like a traitor to my state not applying here. This was one of the schools I strongly considered eliminating from my list just because I want so badly to move away and experience new things, but after a long hard look, I know that if I got into Texas, I would go happily. I will be reaching out to alumni in the near future to make sure healthcare and opportunity to land out of state (hint: California) is a strong possibility though.
Schools I considered, but eventually eliminated:

• Marshall (USC): It seems that the program is slowly going downhill, and out of the top 4 business schools in California, it is obviously the lowest man on the totem pole and not very strong in healthcare.
  • Kenan-Flager (UNC): Great school. Great healthcare opportunities. But would I actually want to go? I’m not so sure.
  • Goizeuta (Emory): Same as above.
  • Cox (SMU): I want to get out Dallas and post-graduation location opportuntities seem limited
  • Any Northern or Eastern schools: I hate the cold you guys. Like I honestly couldn’t do it. Sucks because there’s so many good ones.
This list is subject to change once I take the GMAT, make some visits, and speak to an admissions consultant about my chances to get into each school. I’m all for reaching, but the odds need to be significantly in my favor for me to go through the process of applying anywhere. At this point, I feel like the 4 I’ve chosen are very doable for me, but we shall see what is in store.

Now I need your thoughts on my dilemma. I am confident I’ll be ready to apply to at least two of the schools, if not all for Round 1 deadlines, BUT my promotion to Senior does not go into effect until November (we only have 2 promotion cycles at my firm) which is past all R1 deadlines. Is it more important to get my application for my top choice in by R1 or wait until R2 which will be at the beginning of January? I’ve read many articles saying there really is no difference between applying to either round and you want to present the best application possible no matter when you apply, but I just wanted to know what you guys think. As of now, I am the lead consultant on my team of 4, soon to be 5, so I pretty much have the responsibility of a Senior Consultant without the title. With my small amount of work experience, I feel like it would be in my favor to be able to show a promotion on my resume, but I know at the end of the day, adcoms want to know what you have done, not necessarily what you do or what your title is. This is also a situation I plan on speaking to an admissions consultant about, but please feel free to comment.

As far as for the rest of July, I will be in major study mode to make up for the past 2 weeks. This weekend I will be preparing a study schedule to help me allocate my time better for each subject so I can be ready for G-day next month. I feel like I know the material well, I just really need to work on managing my time effectively, especially on the quant. I know the practice tests will help with that.

I also plan on doing more reading. I get so wrapped up with work, tennis, working out, and studying that I forget to do the little things along the way to help with my business school preparation. I’ve somewhat stepped up my current events game, but my goal in addition to that, is to read at least one article about the healthcare industry per day. As this is the field I want to pursue, I want to know as much as possible and stay up to date on what’s happening. Lucky for me, I find it extremely interesting so reading about it won’t be as much of snoozefest as other articles I’ve come across have been.

That’s all for now. Crunch time is almost here :)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: (Full-Time vs Part-Time MBA) Reach for the Stars: Why I am choosing a Full-Time MBA
Why don’t you just get a part-time MBA? People LOVE asking that question. I have said the answer so many times, that I think I have…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: My GMAT journey … so far
I planned to write my GMAT next week, I’m almost there with my studies and with a few more days (read: weekend) I would have been ready to tackle the exam one final time.However,  one out-of-state wedding, one 3-day workshop and average verbal scores have put an end to that plan. I have to study […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Come together
Following this post, I’ve spent a lot of time in meetings reading Twitter feeds from the schools on my shortlist, seeing what gets me excited and what turns me off. It is a great resource for getting to know the professors, alums and teaching styles at different schools.

The main things I love reading about are what former students have set up by themselves, unrestrained by the shackles of corporate life. And, believe me, I was happy earning my wages as a corporate guy until recently, when I realised there is just no satisfactory end goal in banking that is worth the money.

When I was tackling the classic Stanford ‘what matters most to you, and why?’ essay last season, I started by just typing whatever came into my head, without thinking about what the adcom wanted to hear. Last week I started the same process (this time in preparation for MIT Sloan, the first school I will tackle in R1) and asked myself why I wanted an MBA. It went like this:

“Honestly, my reason for doing an MBA is undeniably to surround myself with a bunch of cool, driven, hungry individuals, ask a lot of dumb questions and learn a ridiculous amount about finance, economics, leadership and all that stuff I should have paid more attention to when I was scraping through my Bachelors degree. And to start something – anything! – with some like-minded students, having re-energised my brain and being backed by ten of thousands of alums globally who can help me with funding, marketing, connections in far flung places etc.”

So, I have a vision to work with!

One thing I read quite a bit about from MIT Sloan is the concept of an ‘entrepreneur in a corporate setting’. I’ve never been afraid to immerse myself in detail and use that deep knowledge to find alternative ways of doing things, so I’d like to think I was a kind of ‘rough diamond corporate entrepreneur’.

Bill Aulet, Senior Lecturer at MIT Sloan, also argues that entrepreneurship can be taught. I have mixed feelings here, but I’m certain that bringing myself together with a colossal range of different people in the b school environment would unlock the immense talent and entrepreneurial drive which has slowly been eaten away by corporate life.

This immersion in the b school environment also helps describe why I don’t want to do a part time MBA. Grantmeadmission wrote a fantastic post about this recently. I really can’t say it better than that!

Anyway, I have finally managed to take some time off work tomorrow to focus on my profile and start digging a bit deeper into my story. Stay tuned!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Think for yourself – MIT Sloan
  • Want brightest, most innovative students
  • HBS is general management, Sloan is the same but with a heavy quant element
  • All professors are accessible – will teach class, have office hours and eat with you!
  • Approx. 50% of class graduate under a ‘track’, the rest through the general programme
  • 40% international
  • Offers a financial engineering course – very mathematical
  • Good way to transition from banking into e.g. PE or VC
  • MIT values your decisions, willingness to take risk and take responsibility for this risk
    • could have developed a new way of doing things at your company
    • identify an area where you have made a difference
  • MIT has a strong Asian presence
  • Uses two professional readers to view applications, no alums or students
  • Does not disclose grades – gives you a good idea how much focus they give to scores

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Think for yourself – Wharton
  • Academic strong points: finance faculty is world class, also strong in marketing; recently more focus on social impact
  • Much more technically oriented than its peers
    • technical expertise and analytical rigour
    • offers deep vertical learnings, e.g. could become a valuation expert in emerging markets [I mentioned emerging markets as an area of interest]
  • Work in groups “like there is no tomorrow”
    • fares high with employers who value teamwork
    • need to work well and thrive in this environment
  • Typical student is collaborative, curious and engaged
  • Catalyse → Create → Connect
  • More commercial with its admissions criteria – want to look at professional history/growth
  • Want students able to bring unique personal qualities and past successes to the programme
  • Potential for growth an important factor
  • Student run school – everyone is asked to contribute

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: HBS '18 (M$)
Send PM
FROM LTN99: GMAT in 3 weeks!
MY TEST IS IN 3 WEEKS!!!!

Breathe! Breathe! sigh! cool down! cool down!

Test date is 20th July 2014 - I am taking 8 mock tests (6 Veritas + 2 GMAT prep extended pack) before my actual test on the 20th and am practising for about 3 hours (roughly 50-70 questions) each day! I am revising all of my concepts and am going over the errors I have made in my tests and practices on a daily basis!

I really need that high score!

Eric Prydz - Power Drive is my motivation to everything!

LETS DO THIS!

LTN
Retired Moderator
Send PM
FROM LTN99: GMAT in 2 weeks!
Keep Calm and Take Mocks! 

That is all I plan to do - take mocks, learn from my mistakes, repeat. During the week, I practice questions and revise concepts that I forget during the practice questions/practice tests.

I need to brush up most of my quant concepts and most importantly, implement those math concepts in question, which unfortunately I am unable to.

Laters yo, 
LTN
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: What I would tell myself two years ago
FULL DISCLOSURE: This post targets individuals that are thinking/planning on getting a FT MBA in two/three years. Over the last three weeks I have been approached,…
Retired Moderator
Send PM
FROM LTN99: GMAT in 1 week!
A week from now, I will be done with my GMAT!! :D :D 

Sure, I've learned a lot of tricks and trades of the test over the last couple of weeks but the most important skill that I have gained is to BE POSITIVE!!

Before I start each study session, I remind myself that this each session is a learning curve and that each question I get wrong is another opportunity to improve my skills. Even if I get a few questions wrong, this "BRING IT ON" outlook is helping me push myself into doing better. I do not know how or why, it always helps me stay positive and keep my focus through out each session or mock test.  

I am not sure whether it will help you fellow test takes, but its definitely worth a shot! 

I want to give a shout out to Grant Me Admission here, because he is the one who helped me realize this much required skill. 

As for my GMAT in 1 week - BRING IT ON!! 

LTN
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: How actual applicants are applying in 2014
How hungry are you? Let’s examine how some applicants are already attaching their applications!   MBA on My Mind: Road to Business School One of my…
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Reapplicant: McKinsey & Company Emerging Scholars Interview Debrief

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone that was selected to the McKinsey & Company Emerging Scholars Program.  Unfortunately I did not make it passed the semi-finalist interviews.  The being said, I was honored to be selected as a semi-finalist, and true enjoyed the process.  I was able to interview with the recruiter in charge of UCLA Anderson recruiting, as well as two consultants that were Anderson alumni.  I am grateful for the time they took to get to know me (each interview was about 45 minutes), and I enjoyed getting to know them and McKinsey a little better.  Luckily I had two weeks off for paternity leave during the times the interviews were scheduled (we just welcomed out third baby boy to the family).

Although I was a bit nervous at first, the interviews were actually pretty fun.  With my interview with the recruiter, I had to complete a creative exercise.  I chose to do a single-slide PowerPoint about the person I admire most.  It made for a great conversation.  We discussed my work experience, extracurricular involvement, and my thoughts about McKinsey.  The recruiter was really nice and created a very relaxed and conversational environment.

My next two interviews were with consultants, both UCLA Anderson grads.  Again, both were great experiences.  We were able to go a little bit deeper into my work history and then we worked through a mini-case.  I really enjoyed working through the mini-case, and if that is the type of stuff McKinsey consultants get to see on a daily basis (although I am sure real cases are much more complex), I would definitely enjoy it.

Although I tried not to get my hopes up, as the notification date drew closer, I couldn’t help but imagining myself being selected.  It would have been a great opportunity.  Unfortunately, I didn’t receive the news I was looking for on July 3rd.  It was ok though.  I heard from another semi-finalist that over 1800 people applied to the program, so just being selected as a semi-finalist wasn’t too bad.  Anyway, it was a great opportunity, and I was able to meet some fantastic people.  I was told by all three people I interviewed with to stay in touch, and the recruiter said she would be looking for me in the fall.  I am definitely excited for what the future holds in store. just wanted to say congratulations to everyone that was selected to the McKinsey & Company Emerging Scholars Program.  Unfortunately I did not make it passed the semi-finalist interviews.  The being said, I was honored to be selected as a semi-finalist, and true enjoyed the process.  I was able to interview with the recruiter in charge of UCLA Anderson recruiting, as well as two consultants that were Anderson alumni.  I am grateful for the time they took to get to know me (each interview was about 45 minutes), and I enjoyed getting to know them and McKinsey a little better.  Luckily I had two weeks off for paternity leave during the times the interviews were scheduled (we just welcomed out third baby boy to the family).

Although I was a bit nervous at first, the interviews were actually pretty fun.  With my interview with the recruiter, I had to complete a creative exercise.  I chose to do a single-slide PowerPoint about the person I admire most.  It made for a great conversation.  We discussed my work experience, extracurricular involvement, and my thoughts about McKinsey.  The recruiter was really nice and created a very relaxed and conversational environment.

My next two interviews were with consultants, both UCLA Anderson grads.  Again, both were great experiences.  We were able to go a little bit deeper into my work history and then we worked through a mini-case.  I really enjoyed working through the mini-case, and if that is the type of stuff McKinsey consultants get to see on a daily basis (although I am sure real cases are much more complex), I would definitely enjoy it.

Although I tried not to get my hopes up, as the notification date drew closer, I couldn’t help but imagining myself being selected.  It would have been a great opportunity.  Unfortunately, I didn’t receive the news I was looking for on July 3rd.  It was ok though.  I heard from another semi-finalist that over 1800 people applied to the program, so just being selected as a semi-finalist wasn’t too bad.  Anyway, it was a great opportunity, and I was able to meet some fantastic people.  I was told by all three people I interviewed with to stay in touch, and the recruiter said she would be looking for me in the fall.  I am definitely excited for what the future holds in store.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: All the Essay Analyses! (updated!)
Want an expert’s opinion on how to write your essay to your dream school? Well, you’re in luck–we have FOUR experts’ opinions!   I have scoured…
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
FROM Farhanc85: Slow and Steady + School Selection
A conscious decision not to take Mock this week! I don't know if I am going to regret it, I am studying without a monthly schedule, keeping it down to a week. With no set GMAT date it mind it is sometimes numbing as the goal is fixed but the when is not. Did some heavy reading today. 10 articles, I am hoping reading uninteresting articles and summarizing them will improve my RC score.

On school selection front, 2 years courses are out of the race except for Kellogg and NYU Stern maybe. I need to keep thinking about these two. I have been working on my post MBA goals to have a clarity of thought which would eventually reflect in my essays. Read some nice blogs today, this guy has been doing some nice research https://grantmeadmission.com/ follow him for US schools. I am going to try replicate the fundamentals for European schools.

So, here is the first list of schools for 1 year MBA(except for Kellogg and NYU)

1 LBS or
1 INSEAD
2 HKUST
3 Kellog /NYU Stern(Confused about this, 2 years and also high investment level, I have kept Kellogs because its the best in marketing and NYU stern for Luxury)
4 Cambridge Judge
5 SAID
6 Warwick
7 Cranfield
8 Bocconi
9 ISB
10 NUS

Have to shortlist 6 schools of these, prepare for GMAT to get a 770 and work on essays simultaneously. BSchool application teaches you multi-tasking even before you enter the school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
FROM Farhanc85: Final Shortlist 2014
After speaking to alums, current students of different schools and following them on social media(can't afford the visit :( ) I have finally decided on the below schools:

Ladies and gentleman i give you the final 4 :
1. INSEAD : For the immense diversity:the sheer pool of people at INSEAD and the interactions will help me grow as an individual. The need to grow globally and the option of studying on two campuses.

2. London Business School : Flexibility given to choose from 15,18 to 21 months of learning. Being a manager, the most important decision becomes resource management be it time, people or money, What better way to decide than to take the first step by deciding how much you want to learn and how hard are you willing to drive yourself. It's London need I say more?

3. Said Business School  : Coming from India, the brand recall of Oxford is so high that the topmost schools in the US are unknown as compared to Oxford. A special course in Luxury is something I am really looking forward to. After talking to current student from SBS, it has also sparked a dormant entrepreneurial side in me.

4. Indian School Of Business: The only school in India which is truly international in its nature. The low investment, concise 1 year program and an excellent faculty are my drivers to select ISB over other Asian institutes.

Besides the above mentioned sure list of application in 2014 I have Cambridge(Judge) and HKUST as prospective school for 2014. I am looking for a shorter duration for my MBA as I am 29, married and want to get back to corporate life as soon as possible.

Although I am sure I will enjoy my days at school and will benefit immensely for them, I am raring to go in the corporate world with my full potential and an MBA degree from a top tier institute.

These are my reasons to select the schools, what are yours?

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: My 3 Biggest Mistakes Studying for the GMAT
Last time I took the GMAT, I got a 710. As I study to take it again, I reflect on three mistakes I made last time…
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  48