Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19745 [248]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [49]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [16]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero [#permalink]
Kudos
Only A plugs in the gap between the following statements.

COnclusion = a wise person could never attain it,

since emotions are not simply irrational urges. They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses.

When we insert A in the mix, we can say that wise people always estimate the goodness of things. THis leads to the conclusion that a wise person could never attain it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19745 [5]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatt1476 wrote:
Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero once asked himself whether a wise person should try to achieve the Stoic ideal of complete emotionlessness. Cicero reasoned that, however desirable the goal may be, a wise person could never attain it, since emotions are not simply irrational urges. They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses.

Which of the following is an assumption required by Cicero's reasoning?

A. Wise people inevitably evaluate at least some of the things they observe.
B. Irrationality makes evaluation of what one observes impossible.
C. Wisdom precludes attempting to attain what one cannot.
D. If evaluations are based only on reason, then they are inaccurate.
E. A wise person will not evaluate what cannot be directly observed.

CR67370.01

Official Explanation

Argument Construction

The question asks us to identify an assumption required by Cicero's reasoning.

Cicero reasoned that a wise person could never attain the goal of complete emotionlessness, because emotions are not merely irrational urges but a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of events, people, and actions one witnesses.

Why would Cicero have thought that this is a good reason to believe that a wise person could never be completely emotionless? He must have thought that wise people cannot completely avoid making evaluations of the goodness and badness of at least some of the events, people, and actions they witness. If he thought they could completely avoid making such evaluations, the reason he gave for his conclusion would not have supported it.

A. Correct. As indicated above, Cicero's argument requires that wise people evaluate at least some of the things that they observe.

B. Cicero's argument does not require this assumption. It makes sense to think that wise people would not be irrational. However, this assumption suggests that it is possible to avoid evaluations of what one observes, which is not helpful to Cicero's reasoning.

C. If Cicero's conclusion is true, then this assumption helps support the claim that wise people should not attempt to attain the goal of complete emotionlessness. But the question does not ask you to identify an assumption that would allow you to infer that wise people should not attempt to attain that goal. Instead, the question asks you to identify an assumption that is required to infer that wise people cannot attain that goal. Whether you should try to do something is a different issue from whether you can do something.

D. Cicero's argument is not about the accuracy of one's evaluations; rather, it assumes that wise people will inevitably make such evaluations.

E. Cicero's argument is based on a premise about evaluations of the observed, not about evaluations of what is impossible to observe.

The correct answer is A.
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
gmatt1476 wrote:
Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero once asked himself whether a wise person should try to achieve the Stoic ideal of complete emotionlessness. Cicero reasoned that, however desirable the goal may be, a wise person could never attain it, since emotions are not simply irrational urges. They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses.

CR67370.01

Very interesting question!

Below is the train of content in the passage:
1. Wise people --> Witness things --> Estimate those things --> Results into emotions
2. The author concludes that hence wise people CANNOT achieve a state of being emotionless

There are multiple assumptions. A 'no' to any of the below breaks the link in the train of content
1. Wise people witness the people, events and actions happening around
2. Wise people estimate the events they witness
3. Estimating events leads to emotions

The correct answer will repeat one of the above points. And looking at the answer options, we see that A repeats the point 2 from the list above.

Ans. A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero [#permalink]
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR67370.01

AjiteshArun AnthonyRitz VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh

i went through the explanation in the thread & realized my understanding of the passage was different from others.Because i find both the comprehensions to be logical i am unable to discard what i comprehended.

Please help in identifying where i made a mistake in comprehending.

1. Cicerio, who is distressed by his own tragedies, questioned/asked himself: Whether a wise person should achieve complete emotionless.
2. Cicero reasoned that, however desirable the goal may be, a wise person could never attain it, since emotions are not simply irrational urges
: Here by stating 'Reasoned'- author present the reason as to why Cicerio thought why A wise men need be emotionless

Ciserio Reasoned Because: 1) He was distress & 2) Attaining Goal is impossible however desirable it may be.- So link i thought- Ciserio was distress as he could not achieve certain goal that in turn could not be achieve because of Emotions & therefore he asked whether one should achieve complete emotionless.

Further author states Why Emotions are an issue to achieve Goal: emotions are not simply irrational urges. They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses..

In a summary: Because emotions are issue for some reasons -> Ciserio could not achieve goal -> therefore he is distress -> So he though of questioning to achieve complete emotionless.

Whereas i found experts have presented some different comprehension, which i believe also make sense.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64935 [7]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR67370.01

AjiteshArun AnthonyRitz VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh

i went through the explanation in the thread & realized my understanding of the passage was different from others.Because i find both the comprehensions to be logical i am unable to discard what i comprehended.

Please help in identifying where i made a mistake in comprehending.

1. Cicerio, who is distressed by his own tragedies, questioned/asked himself: Whether a wise person should achieve complete emotionless.
2. Cicero reasoned that, however desirable the goal may be, a wise person could never attain it, since emotions are not simply irrational urges
: Here by stating 'Reasoned'- author present the reason as to why Cicerio thought why A wise men need be emotionless

Ciserio Reasoned Because: 1) He was distress & 2) Attaining Goal is impossible however desirable it may be.- So link i thought- Ciserio was distress as he could not achieve certain goal that in turn could not be achieve because of Emotions & therefore he asked whether one should achieve complete emotionless.

Further author states Why Emotions are an issue to achieve Goal: emotions are not simply irrational urges. They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses..

In a summary: Because emotions are issue for some reasons -> Ciserio could not achieve goal -> therefore he is distress -> So he though of questioning to achieve complete emotionless.

Whereas i found experts have presented some different comprehension, which i believe also make sense.

Distressed by his own personal tragedies, the Roman philosopher Cicero once asked himself whether a wise person should try to achieve the Stoic ideal of complete emotionlessness.

Cicero was distressed. He asked himself - Should a wise person try to achieve emotionlessness?

Cicero reasoned that, however desirable the goal may be, a wise person could never attain it, since emotions are not simply irrational urges.

Cicero reasoned (explained to himself) that emotionlessness cannot be attained because emotions are not simply irrational urges.

They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses.

That they are a product of one's estimate of goodness/badness of what one sees.

Since emotions are a product of one's estimate of goodness/badness of what one sees, Cicero reasons that a wise person cannot be emotionless. This reasoning is assuming that a wise person sometimes does estimate goodness/badness of what he sees.

Assumption?

Correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepBrian ChrisLele GMATGuruNY KyleWiddison CrackVerbalGMAT DmitryFarber VeritasPrepHailey

According to the previous reply by VeritasKarishma , I do understand what the argument is saying and why choice A is a correct answer.
However, I would like you to help explain why the rest choices are wrong.
Appreciate your help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
The conclusion is that a wise person can never attain complete emotionlessness since emotions are not simply irrational urges.

The stimulus then provides us with more context: "They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses."

The gist is that a wise person can't achieve complete emotionlessness because emotions are a produce of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses

For this to be true, wise people need to judge some of the events they observe. This is exactly what A says.

To confirm our reasoning, we can try negating the statement:

Wise people inevitably evaluate at least some none of the things they observe.

Negating choice A weakens the conclusion. As a result, choice A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Hey Basshead - Can you please show me how to properly negate each of the statements? I think I made mistake negating the answer choices and thus, ended up with wrong answer.

For example - I was not sure whether when I negate a statement do I negate every word or just one?

E. A wise person will not evaluate what cannot be directly observed

Negate - A wise person will evaluate what can be directly observed - is this correct?

Thanks.

Basshead wrote:
The conclusion is that a wise person can never attain complete emotionlessness since emotions are not simply irrational urges.

The stimulus then provides us with more context: "They are, rather, a product of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses."

The gist is that a wise person can't achieve complete emotionlessness because emotions are a produce of one's estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses

For this to be true, wise people need to judge some of the events they observe. This is exactly what A says.

To confirm our reasoning, we can try negating the statement:

Wise people inevitably evaluate at least some none of the things they observe.

Negating choice A weakens the conclusion. As a result, choice A is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATIntensive

Quote:

If (B) were irrationality and the ability to evaluate what one observes cannot be present at the same time in a person, would it be a possible correct answer choice?
Yale and Darden Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR67370.01

It is easy to answer this question if one can see the gist of it through all the complex language.
The gist: wise person cannot attain emotionlessness, meaning wise person will always have at least some emotion. In the prompt, emotion is defined as "estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses". Therefore, the logic flows like this: because wise person have to have emotion; therefore, these wise person have to "estimate of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses". Answer A clearly paraphrases this logic beautifully "Wise people inevitably evaluate at least some of the things they observe".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The assumption required by Cicero's reasoning is:

Cicero argues that emotions are a product of one's evaluations of the goodness and badness of the events, people, and actions one witnesses. For his reasoning to hold, it must be assumed that wise people engage in the process of evaluation when observing things. If wise people do not evaluate what they observe, then Cicero's argument about the impossibility of attaining complete emotionlessness based on evaluations would not hold.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR67370.01

What's the soul of this deeply philosophical question?

Cicero was so depressed that he asked himself whether a wise person should try to be emotionless. Cicero said that the goal of being emotionless is desirable but not achievable because emotions are rational things in the end.
Basically, emotions are based on a person's estimate, observation, analysis, evaluation, or examination of the positives and the negatives of his or her life experiences.

Now, what's the philosopher assuming here?
He's assuming that wise people analyze or contemplate some of the things they observe.
And a person's emotions are based on a person's analysis of his or her experiences of life - the good times as well the bad times.
A captures the soul of the question beautifully. Keep it.

B is gone because emotions are rational things based on a person's life experience. Whether observing is possible or impossible without rationality is out of the scope of this argument.

C is eliminated because wisdom is not the heart of this argument; emotions are rational things is the heart of this argument.

D is eliminated because the accuracy of evaluations is out of scope. The important point is that evaluations of life experiences give birth to emotions, which are rational things in the end.

E is not the answer because whether a person will evaluate or will not evaluate directly observable things is irrelevant. Wise people evaluate obscured things, too.

Thus, A is the assumption made by the deep thinker Cicero.

I hope I'm crystal-clear 🙏

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts