Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 15:49 It is currently 07 May 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
bramasu wrote:
Paul,
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. I have the following reasons.

Quote:
Your age is older than the typical U.S. MBA program by three years

I was struggling with immigration and green card for so long. If you are not aware, changing my status to students visa (non-immigrant visa) after filing for immigrant visa would show conflict and will pose problems. Because my employer started filing for my green card in 2004, I was not able to switch between non-immigrant and immigrant status. Is this a good reason ?

Quote:
your community/extracurricular is not stellar

I forgot to mention that I used to play in the semi-professional Cricket league for about 18 months and later conducted a quadrangular cricket tournament and participated in it. Will this suffice for community/extracurricular ?

I am planning to get my application into Columbia for 2008 ED. Columbia is my first choice school. Do you think this will increase my chances with a GMAT (scheduled nex week) between 650 - 700?

Please let me know. Thanks again.

Bramasu,

1. Yes, the immigration reason is a solid reason. You will want to show them that even while the visa issue was limiting your options you were outpacing peers and racking up atypical impact within the constraints you found yourself in. If you do, the schools will cut you slack for your age.

2. The cricket leadership is OK. Three issues: cricket is not all that unusual an involvement for your demographic so its value-add is less; it's not social impact-oriented, which is probably the preferred extracurricular; and if it's not ongoing they'll wonder why you aren't involved in your community now.

3. Yes, getting your GMAT into the high 600s and applying as early as possible for Columbia's ED deadline can make a difference in your odds there.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]