Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Evaluate my Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
banerjeeankush99 wrote:
Hello,

please evaluate my profile. I am looking for schools such as: ISB, IIM A/B/C, SPJIMR and XLRI within India, and depending on gmat score, abroad (US). Please leave your comments below.

Background: Currently working in Defence sector as a commissioned officer with 9 years of Service experience.

Academics:
(a) 10th: 84% (2000-01)
(b) 12th: 87% (2002-03)
(c) BSc Naval Science: 74% (from NDA, 2004-06)
(d) MA (English): 56% (from IGNOU, 2009-11)
(e) MSc (Applied Psychology): 66% (from Annamalai University, 2013-15)

Test Scores: GRE: V:159(79 per centile), Q: 158 (75 per centile). Still preparing for Gmat, expected date to take gmat: end-Aug 16.

My primary role is that of an Instructor in Ethics and Organisational Behaviour since the last 3 years. I have published two papers, carried out research and designed the syllabus for officers of various seniorities within the organisation. My core areas of study and research include negotiation, ethics, leadership, organisational behaviour and conflict and stress management. Apart from this, taking lectures and teaching forms part of primary responsibilities. Before this I was majorly involved in all Naval operations including combat, logistics and navigation.

Extra Curricular.
(a) Cross Country Runner
(b) Poetry: My first collection of poetry will be published later this year. I have also won the All India Poetry Prize and gotten published in many reputed journals.
(c) Creative Writing: I also have a very active blog where I speak about novels, films etc.

Volunteer:
(a) I have organised Speech Therapy workshops for orthopedicall challenged children and this is a regular feature.
(b) I also have a poetry workshop for young adults.
(c) Public Speaking workshop: Organise and conduct for school going children.

Even though one should aim for the stars, please tell me how much should I aim for as a decent GMAT score for the Indian Schools.

Also, is it possible, realistically speaking, that with my background, I can get into a top American school. What should be my target gmat score then (yes, I know, you will say, 'maximum', but still, keeping my profile in mind, what would be considered a good gmat score?)

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you

Thank you for your profile details. Your extra-curricular activities are impressive and should make a strong story if carefully crafted. I agree with some posts above that I would love to learn more about the rest of your experience.

I would target a 700+ and if you secure that score, you can target US schools in the 13-20 range depending on your application strength.

Feel free to email to discuss further.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Since you asked about GMAT specifically, the 700 + or preferably 710 + range should indeed be your goal, but remember that even a lower score may work with excellent storytelling. You have a lot of material to work with, so focusing on the GMAT right now, along with crafting an interesting story that binds everything together should be your top priority. (The final GMAT score will indeed be very important but as I work for ARINGO, where we specialize in helping applicants with lower GMAT scores I know that it's only a part of the puzzle, the efforts you put into telling your story count for a great deal as well. But to be on the safe side, the scores mentioned above would be better)

Your CV itself needs no urgent improving so those would be my only main pointers for you moving forward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi,

You look good for the programs you mention. I would target a 670+ on the GMAT, 700+ if you would like to get into a top tier MBA program in the US.

Best wishes,
Karthik

banerjeeankush99 wrote:
Hello,

please evaluate my profile. I am looking for schools such as: ISB, IIM A/B/C, SPJIMR and XLRI within India, and depending on gmat score, abroad (US). Please leave your comments below.

Background: Currently working in Defence sector as a commissioned officer with 9 years of Service experience.

Academics:
(a) 10th: 84% (2000-01)
(b) 12th: 87% (2002-03)
(c) BSc Naval Science: 74% (from NDA, 2004-06)
(d) MA (English): 56% (from IGNOU, 2009-11)
(e) MSc (Applied Psychology): 66% (from Annamalai University, 2013-15)

Test Scores: GRE: V:159(79 per centile), Q: 158 (75 per centile). Still preparing for Gmat, expected date to take gmat: end-Aug 16.

My primary role is that of an Instructor in Ethics and Organisational Behaviour since the last 3 years. I have published two papers, carried out research and designed the syllabus for officers of various seniorities within the organisation. My core areas of study and research include negotiation, ethics, leadership, organisational behaviour and conflict and stress management. Apart from this, taking lectures and teaching forms part of primary responsibilities. Before this I was majorly involved in all Naval operations including combat, logistics and navigation.

Extra Curricular.
(a) Cross Country Runner
(b) Poetry: My first collection of poetry will be published later this year. I have also won the All India Poetry Prize and gotten published in many reputed journals.
(c) Creative Writing: I also have a very active blog where I speak about novels, films etc.

Volunteer:
(a) I have organised Speech Therapy workshops for orthopedicall challenged children and this is a regular feature.
(b) I also have a poetry workshop for young adults.
(c) Public Speaking workshop: Organise and conduct for school going children.

Even though one should aim for the stars, please tell me how much should I aim for as a decent GMAT score for the Indian Schools.

Also, is it possible, realistically speaking, that with my background, I can get into a top American school. What should be my target gmat score then (yes, I know, you will say, 'maximum', but still, keeping my profile in mind, what would be considered a good gmat score?)

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you
GMAT Club Bot