Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:32 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [1]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to [#permalink]
manugmat123 wrote:
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

Easy to check for parallelism.

a)some showing increased flexibility ( PHRASE), while (PARALLEL MARKER) others did not.(CLAUSE)

b)with some showing increased flexibility,(PHRASE) while (PARALLEL MARKER) others did not.(CLAUSE)

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility (PHRASE) and (PARALLEL MARKER)others did not.(CLAUSE)

d)some showing an increase in flexibility (PHRASE), while (PARALLEL MARKER) others not.(PHRASE)

We expect a complete clause after while but even that will not make it parallel.Incorrect use of while in D makes it wrong.

e)with some showing increased flexibility(PHRASE) and(PARALLEL MARKER) others not.(PHRASE)

So,E is preferable.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to [#permalink]
Kudos
rukna

The group of words after "While" is not a clause - Clause requires sub and verb. "Showing" is not a verb as it is not preceded by is, am,are etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
I am confused between B and E. Why is B wrong?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
s2s2213 wrote:

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

E) with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

Hi,
Since there is no verb in the first phrase before , 'did not' doesn't refer to a verb , making the construction nonparallel . 'while' is used to join clauses whereas modifier before comma is a phrase. Therefore, to maintain parallelism we need a phrase after 'and'.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
s2s2213 wrote:

Your query has been very well explained above by anje29 - closing the expert request.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nahid78 wrote:

A) some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
C) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.
D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

Can anyone please explain the use of "with" in SC?

"With" is used to introduce a prepositional phrase modifier.Prepositional phrase modifiers can be used in 2 ways:
1. Noun modifier: Chicken with rice is my favorite food.
2. Verb modifier: I cannot repair this table, at least with this tool.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
MartyMurray , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert

A,B and C are easy to eliminate. Why is choice E preferred over D?? Both seem very similar

From the above explanations, "increased flexibility" seems to be preferred over "increase in flexibility". I don't understand why?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:

A,B and C are easy to eliminate. Why is choice E preferred over D?? Both seem very similar

From the above explanations, "increased flexibility" seems to be preferred over "increase in flexibility". I don't understand why?

Hi Prateek176!

Happy to help :-) You're right that they are very similar!

The problem with D is not "increase in flexibility", it is "while". "While" is a subordinating conjunction, so it needs to be followed by a clause (subject + verb). Here, we have "while others not", which is not a complete clause, since there is no verb. If we don't have a complete clause, then we need to use a coordinating conjunction ("and", "but", "yet", "for", "so"...) instead. Since E uses "and", which is a coordinating conjunction and so does not need to be followed by a clause, it is correct :-)

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [6]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:

D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

There is an issue with "increase in flexibility" in D.

"some" is plural".

"an increase in flexibility" is singular.

So, if read literally, D conveys that multiple people, "some", showed ONE increase in flexibility, as if a bunch of people shared this one increase in flexibility.

To make sense, D would have to use the plural "increases" and say, "some showing increases in flexibility".

In E, this issue is avoided, as "increased flexibility" is not countable. So, there is no plural version, and thus, "increased flexibility" is fine with "some".

Also, the meaning conveyed by "increased flexibility" is probably a bit more appropriate than the meaning conveyed by "an increase in flexibility". I doubt that the speaker means to convey that some people showed "an increase", in other words, "one increase", in flexibility. Probably the point is that with acupuncture, maybe multiple treatments, people showed "increased flexibility".

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 10 Aug 2018, 15:30.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 02 Sep 2018, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...

ankurgupta03

Could you please elaborate why is "with" required?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Thanks MartyMurray for clarifying the precise reason of difference b\w last two answer choices.
The actual problem is NOT the usage of "with" or "and/while", but the subject-verb agreement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Hi Experts egmat , GMATNinja
Could you please explain why the usage of didn't is not correct. Although I have gone through the relevant explanations, but still couldn't figure it out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM

(A) some showing increased flexibility, while others did not

(B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not

(C) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not

(D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not

(E) with some showing increased flexibility and others not

Imo E

This question is very tough. It test many concepts of grammar - namely comparison, parallelism and sentence structure

1) Note that even is present in the non underlined part of the sentence so we have to have contrast sentence and a full clause with its subject and verb will come.
2) Two entities in comparison must be parallel and should make sense.

A some showing increased flexibility, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not highlighted clause is not parallel as different verb forms are used. Second is a full clause with its subject and verb while "some showing increased flexibility" is not a full clause rather is noun modifier. So drop this choice.

B Same problem as A. Parallelism is not correct

C Parallelism is incorrect same as A

D This one is the most difficult to eliminate. while is a subordinating conjunction so a clause will be correct but we do not have a complete clause after while so drop this choice.

E is correct while is replaced by "and" and parallelism is proper
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The problem as I see here is not with the use of the prepositional modifier ‘with”. Even an absolute modifier will be good enough and even may be better sometimes because of leanness. For example, the following versions are perfectly acceptable
A. Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others not.(not showing)
D. Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing an increase in flexibility (generally good enough, but not in the given context), while others not.

But the problem with A is with grammar that we are trying to couple a participle with a working verb; this is not parallel. In the case of D, there is distortion of meaning. Increased flexibility is different from an increase in flexibility. An increase in flexibility in some cases may even be an on- going thing, whereas increased flexibility is something that may be already increased and not be increasing any more. This subtlety makes D infidel to the original intent of the text in question. So, A and D are out.

Till now I have learned that [With][noun][gerund] structure is not acceptable in GMAT, but here the correct answer has this structure. Would you able to throw some light on this?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM