GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 08:12
rukna wrote:
pqhai wrote:
vibhav wrote:
Guys, the OE says: ' Explanation: In this type of sentence correction problem you need to focus on parallelism and verb form. At the end of the sentence, if you say “did not” you should ask “did not” what? The general rule is that there needs to be a verb that is being replaced by “did”. In this example, there isn’t a verb, just a participle, so the structure would not be parallel: You cannot say “some showing this, while others did not show this” or “some showing this and others did not show this” As a result, (A), (B), and (C) are all incorrect. In (D), you would need a complete clause after while with a comma and all you have is “while others not showing” Only (E) creates a parallel structure with two participles following nouns after the preposition “with” (the second participle is understood): “with some showing this and others not showing this” Answer is (E). '

Any idea whats the logic of while and comma need a clause?

Hi vibhav.

In this question, WHILE is "subordinating conjunction". Subordinating conjunctions join two clauses together. Thus, if you use "while", two clauses are required to make a sentence grammatical. Otherwise, you should use "coordinating conjunction" (and, but, so, yet, for...). Thus E is better than D, and is correct.

Hope it's clear.

Can you elaborate bit more why E is better.

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not [showing increase in flexibility]

It has clause on both side, isn't it ?

Please note that the ones you pointed out are NOT clauses but phrases.

A clause should contain a" working" verb and a subject.
Do not mistake the -ing form of verb for a "working" verb.

Here showing is used as an adjective , that is, a modifier - giving extra info. about some and others...

A clause would look like the following-

some showed an increased in flexibility , while others did not ( show ).

Here, showed is past form of the verb show. BUT such usage in the above sentence would require a conjunction before some.

Hope the above helps.

I donot mind Kudos.. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 14:51
I believe that "some" is making the sentence bit vague as not sure if it is referring to people or acupuncture. So I believe "with" is logical and correct construction here.
E is correct as with "While" you need a full [noun] + [verb] construction which is clearly not there in any of the other option.
(p.S.) with option E there should be no "," in question stem.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 22:35
1. We eliminate all those options which do not have 'with' - Thus, options A and D are eliminated.
2. We eliminate al those options which have 'did not' as it is not parallel to 'with some showing' - Options B and C are eliminated.

What remains is E and hence is the right Answer. Even if we do not use the elimination technique, we can see that E is the only option which gives grammatically and logically parallel entities.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 00:24
manugmat123 wrote:
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

Easy to check for parallelism.

a)some showing increased flexibility ( PHRASE), while (PARALLEL MARKER) others did not.(CLAUSE)

b)with some showing increased flexibility,(PHRASE) while (PARALLEL MARKER) others did not.(CLAUSE)

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility (PHRASE) and (PARALLEL MARKER)others did not.(CLAUSE)

d)some showing an increase in flexibility (PHRASE), while (PARALLEL MARKER) others not.(PHRASE)

We expect a complete clause after while but even that will not make it parallel.Incorrect use of while in D makes it wrong.

e)with some showing increased flexibility(PHRASE) and(PARALLEL MARKER) others not.(PHRASE)

So,E is preferable.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 08:22
rukna

The group of words after "While" is not a clause - Clause requires sub and verb. "Showing" is not a verb as it is not preceded by is, am,are etc.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 04:24
I am confused between B and E. Why is B wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 06:52
s2s2213 wrote:

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

E) with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

Hi,
Since there is no verb in the first phrase before , 'did not' doesn't refer to a verb , making the construction nonparallel . 'while' is used to join clauses whereas modifier before comma is a phrase. Therefore, to maintain parallelism we need a phrase after 'and'.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 10:41
s2s2213 wrote:

Your query has been very well explained above by anje29 - closing the expert request.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 10:45
nahid78 wrote:

A) some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
C) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.
D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

Can anyone please explain the use of "with" in SC?

"With" is used to introduce a prepositional phrase modifier.Prepositional phrase modifiers can be used in 2 ways:
1. Noun modifier: Chicken with rice is my favorite food.
2. Verb modifier: I cannot repair this table, at least with this tool.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 11:50
MartyMurray , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert

A,B and C are easy to eliminate. Why is choice E preferred over D?? Both seem very similar

From the above explanations, "increased flexibility" seems to be preferred over "increase in flexibility". I don't understand why?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 12:01
Prateek176 wrote:

A,B and C are easy to eliminate. Why is choice E preferred over D?? Both seem very similar

From the above explanations, "increased flexibility" seems to be preferred over "increase in flexibility". I don't understand why?

Hi Prateek176!

Happy to help :-) You're right that they are very similar!

The problem with D is not "increase in flexibility", it is "while". "While" is a subordinating conjunction, so it needs to be followed by a clause (subject + verb). Here, we have "while others not", which is not a complete clause, since there is no verb. If we don't have a complete clause, then we need to use a coordinating conjunction ("and", "but", "yet", "for", "so"...) instead. Since E uses "and", which is a coordinating conjunction and so does not need to be followed by a clause, it is correct :-)

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Sep 2018, 05:13
Prateek176 wrote:

D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

There is an issue with "increase in flexibility" in D.

"some" is plural".

"an increase in flexibility" is singular.

So, if read literally, D conveys that multiple people, "some", showed ONE increase in flexibility, as if a bunch of people shared this one increase in flexibility.

To make sense, D would have to use the plural "increases" and say, "some showing increases in flexibility".

In E, this issue is avoided, as "increased flexibility" is not countable. So, there is no plural version, and thus, "increased flexibility" is fine with "some".

Also, the meaning conveyed by "increased flexibility" is probably a bit more appropriate than the meaning conveyed by "an increase in flexibility". I doubt that the speaker means to convey that some people showed "an increase", in other words, "one increase", in flexibility. Probably the point is that with acupuncture, maybe multiple treatments, people showed "increased flexibility".

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 10 Aug 2018, 14:30.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 02 Sep 2018, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 14:24
ankurgupta03 wrote:

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...

ankurgupta03

Could you please elaborate why is "with" required?
Intern
Intern
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 23:17
Thanks MartyMurray for clarifying the precise reason of difference b\w last two answer choices.
The actual problem is NOT the usage of "with" or "and/while", but the subject-verb agreement.

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 10:33
Hi Experts egmat , GMATNinja
Could you please explain why the usage of didn't is not correct. Although I have gone through the relevant explanations, but still couldn't figure it out.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 10:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap