GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 21:18
DmitryFarber wrote:
I'm also curious where you saw this purported rule. Do you have a link? Maybe one of us can shed light on the original problem where you saw this.

I have seen this pattern is followed in GMAT questions. That's why I wanted to know about it in detail.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 04:43
Hello experts,
A prompt question about answer choice B , I was wondering how is the proper way of doing the test of replacing the "did" , to see if the sentence makes sense.
"While others did not respond" OR "while others responded not" so the correct way of conducting the test is by replacing did with the verb or by putting it next to did ?
Tutor
V
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 06:32
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts,
A prompt question about answer choice B , I was wondering how is the proper way of doing the test of replacing the "did" , to see if the sentence makes sense.
"While others did not respond" OR "while others responded not" so the correct way of conducting the test is by replacing did with the verb or by putting it next to did ?

Hello again, UNSTOPPABLE12. Of the two choices you listed, unless you are speaking or writing in a stylistic manner for some purpose (perhaps imitating Yoda-speak), there would be no context in which you would use the latter construct. If you work around did in choice (B), you get the following:

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not show increased flexibility.

You cannot eliminate did and retain the negation of the sentence within the while construct, unless you changed the sentence a bit: while others showed no such increase (or something similar). Otherwise, you could replace did in the following manner:

... with some showing increased flexibility, with others not [showing increased flexibility].

English is atypical among world languages in its adoption of a separate verb, to do, to negate an original action. It does not really make sense to do so, but that is what history has passed down to us.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2020, 19:31
Hi,

Abhi077

I am completely lost with Ellipsis. I made notes on the question by saying :
.... , while others did not (" show increased flexibility - show verb not available in the previous part, hence wrong).

Now my question is: I tried extending this idea to a question from Veritas :
" https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-plateau-in-global-warming-that-took-place-in-the-1950-s-and-60-s-i-216116.html"

The question goes: pollution from dirty factories may have played a role, just as natural variability did in ocean circulation.

I eliminated this choice saying - natural Variability did (play - required but not available in the previous half of sentence.) .
Pl enlighten me what am I missing when reading the ellipsis. Thank you
SC Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2020, 22:02
vishaldec4 wrote:
Hi,

Abhi077

I am completely lost with Ellipsis. I made notes on the question by saying :
.... , while others did not (" show increased flexibility - show verb not available in the previous part, hence wrong).

Now my question is: I tried extending this idea to a question from Veritas :
" https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-plateau-in-global-warming-that-took-place-in-the-1950-s-and-60-s-i-216116.html"

The question goes: pollution from dirty factories may have played a role, just as natural variability did in ocean circulation.

I eliminated this choice saying - natural Variability did (play - required but not available in the previous half of sentence.) .
Pl enlighten me what am I missing when reading the ellipsis. Thank you

Ellipses can be tough and confusing to tackle if you lack conceptual understanding of it I suggest you go through these articles https://e-gmat.com/blogs/ellipses-in-co ... ing-verbs/
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ellipsis-sub ... 46823.html
GMAT has evolved way past hard and fast rules, what may apply to one particular question might not apply to another. each question is different with respect to its structure and meaning. I hope these articles help :)
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2020, 11:35
“with other nations … holding” —- this structure is common in colloquial speech, but the GMAT doesn’t like this at all: “with” + [noun] + [participle]. The prepositions “with” is designed to hold a noun, maybe even a modified noun, but not an entire action. This choice is incorrect.

Got this from Magoosh's blog on Absolute phrases. Considering this, shouldn't E be incorrect as well ?
D should be the right answer in my opinion. Can anybody explain this ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2020, 23:58
No, that proposed rule is not a thing. Here's an official example where the construction they're decrying is used correctly: https://gmatclub.com/forum/starfish-wit ... l#p1084777

As for D, it definitely won't fly. After "while," we need an action. We can't just say "while others not." Although "while" certainly does not always refer to two actual simultaneous actions--sometimes it just shows contrasting ideas--it is still used grammatically as if the two things described are both events.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2020, 23:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics