GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2013, 08:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (00:46) correct 70% (00:53) wrong based on 852 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

(A) some showing increased flexibility, while others did not

(B) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not

(C) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not

(D) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not

(E) with some showing increased flexibility and others not

Solution: E

Explanation: In this type of sentence correction problem you need to focus on parallelism and verb form. At the end of the sentence, if you say “did not” you should ask “did not” what? The general rule is that there needs to be a verb that is being replaced by “did”. In this example, there isn’t a verb, just a participle, so the structure would not be parallel: You cannot say “some showing this, while others did not show this” or “some showing this and others did not show this” As a result, (A), (B), and (C) are all incorrect.

In (D), you would need a complete clause after while with a comma and all you have is “while others not showing

Only (E) creates a parallel structure with two participles following nouns after the preposition “with” (the second participle is understood): “with some showing this and others not showing this”

Answer is (E).

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/ask-well-do-we-need-to-stretch/

Some have had young, healthy volunteers stretch for 20 minutes or more, others for 5 minutes or less. Still others have used older, stiffer volunteers or people with existing injuries. Not surprisingly, the results have been inconsistent. Even within the same study, people respond quite differently to stretching, with some showing increased flexibility and others not.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2013, 19:36
The problem as I see here is not with the use of the prepositional modifier ‘with”. Even an absolute modifier will be good enough and even may be better sometimes because of leanness. For example, the following versions are perfectly acceptable
A. Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others not.(not showing)
D. Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing an increase in flexibility (generally good enough, but not in the given context), while others not.

But the problem with A is with grammar that we are trying to couple a participle with a working verb; this is not parallel. In the case of D, there is distortion of meaning. Increased flexibility is different from an increase in flexibility. An increase in flexibility in some cases may even be an on- going thing, whereas increased flexibility is something that may be already increased and not be increasing any more. This subtlety makes D infidel to the original intent of the text in question. So, A and D are out.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2013, 06:09
manu974100 wrote:
Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

"did not" is incorrect because it is not congruent with "showing", which is a continuous verb form (even if used as a participle here). "Did not" illogically refers to "responded". On this basis we eliminate A, B, and C.

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.
"Increase in flexibility" is not the same as the original "increased flexibility".
(I am not sure if "with" is needed here as you claim. I would not regard it incorrect. Please explain.)
This AC does not sound idiomatically.
e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not.
Succinct.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

General Discussion
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2013, 23:23

a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2013, 23:54
ankurgupta03 wrote:

With is required in the answer choice, so A D are removed.
While is required for contrast, so i removed C E out of the remaining and was left with B as the answer choice
IMO the answer should be B

Can you please post the OE and the source of the problem ...

I got E... but it was really tough.

I eliminated A and D for the same reason you did.

I then eliminated B and C because an ING form + and =/ did.
(others did not showing ... doesn't make sense... however simply having "others not showing" works)

I think the contrast is nice but not necessary.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 07:28
why do we need "with"?

I do not think we need "with"

this is a tough and unofficial question. study with caution.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 22:54
I do not know whether i am correct or not but i feel that .......
The underlined portion is a modifier modifying the verb "reponded", hence a preposition phrase or clause must be used...hence B,C and E remains...."did " is past form but showing is not a past form, hence eliminate B and C
E is the best answer

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jun 2013, 23:43

a some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
b with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.
c with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not.
d some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.
e with some showing increased flexibility and others not

Can someone explain D and E. Please explain the Usage of "with" Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Originally posted by fozzzy on 11 Jun 2013, 21:05.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 11 Jun 2013, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:09
manugmat123 wrote:

I eliminated a,b and c, because others did not is incorrect.

D is wrong because an increase in flexibility and others not are not parallel.

Can anyone explain about below:
1. Why with is required here ? Will it be wrong if we don't use with?
2. difference between and and while to show contrast.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Mannheim"17

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 03:00
Hi guys,

I think use of with is not even an issue!

1)clearly "show+ing" increased flexibility & "did not show" are not parallel.
thus we can eliminate the options with "did".

2)D & E are left with us, we cannot eliminate them on the basis of "with".

here I think, there is a small & subtle difference=> "People" is the subject, thus people can show "Flexibility" either increased or decreased or little etc but people cannot show "an increase", this can be shown by a study or a survey or a result.

then, E it is!!!

this is how I interpreted it, please correct me if I am wrong!!

Cheerz!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Mannheim"17

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 03:04
Archit143 wrote:
I do not know whether i am correct or not but i feel that .......
The underlined portion is a modifier modifying the verb "reponded", hence a preposition phrase or clause must be used...hence B,C and E remains...."did " is past form but showing is not a past form, hence eliminate B and C
E is the best answer

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!

Archit

Hi Archit,

I think the underlined portion modifies "people" and not responded.

pls correct me, cuz its contradicting the "ING" form's convention!

Thanks,
Aniket
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 11:50
I think it's "B". Since it's a verb modifier, the modfier does not have to touch the verb, and "while" creates the required contrast.

Kudos are motivating! :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:13
Hi
I think the option is D because it is very straight short and simple i understand hope you all also agree that when a word is starting with a vowel for eg apple or elephant, we say an apple or an elephant not just apple or elephant similarliy in option D has we have "an increase" hence it is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 06:40
Guys, the OE says: ' Explanation: In this type of sentence correction problem you need to focus on parallelism and verb form. At the end of the sentence, if you say “did not” you should ask “did not” what? The general rule is that there needs to be a verb that is being replaced by “did”. In this example, there isn’t a verb, just a participle, so the structure would not be parallel: You cannot say “some showing this, while others did not show this” or “some showing this and others did not show this” As a result, (A), (B), and (C) are all incorrect. In (D), you would need a complete clause after while with a comma and all you have is “while others not showing” Only (E) creates a parallel structure with two participles following nouns after the preposition “with” (the second participle is understood): “with some showing this and others not showing this” Answer is (E). '

Any idea whats the logic of while and comma need a clause?
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 00:35
vibhav wrote:
Guys, the OE says: ' Explanation: In this type of sentence correction problem you need to focus on parallelism and verb form. At the end of the sentence, if you say “did not” you should ask “did not” what? The general rule is that there needs to be a verb that is being replaced by “did”. In this example, there isn’t a verb, just a participle, so the structure would not be parallel: You cannot say “some showing this, while others did not show this” or “some showing this and others did not show this” As a result, (A), (B), and (C) are all incorrect. In (D), you would need a complete clause after while with a comma and all you have is “while others not showing” Only (E) creates a parallel structure with two participles following nouns after the preposition “with” (the second participle is understood): “with some showing this and others not showing this” Answer is (E). '

Hi vibhav.

In this question, WHILE is "subordinating conjunction". Subordinating conjunctions join two clauses together. Thus, if you use "while", two clauses are required to make a sentence grammatical. Otherwise, you should use "coordinating conjunction" (and, but, so, yet, for...). Thus E is better than D, and is correct.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 17:59
pqhai, thanks. Could you elaborate on use of coordinating conjunctions? E-gmat write up says independent clauses should be connected using ,+fanboys construction. (For, and, nor,..)
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 18:27
vibhav wrote:
pqhai, thanks. Could you elaborate on use of coordinating conjunctions? E-gmat write up says independent clauses should be connected using ,+fanboys construction. (For, and, nor,..)

Hi vibhav

I'm happy to share.

Coordinating conjunctions join equals to one another (words to words / phrases to phrases / clauses to clauses)
For example:
* words to words: I love both POP and Rock music.
* phrases to phrases: Volcanoes are usually be observed near Hawaiian islands or Japanese islands volcanic arc.
* clauses to clauses: What you think and what you do are different.

Subordinating conjunctions join two clauses together, they make one clause dependent (or "subordinate") upon the other.
For example:
I was eating pizza, while my mother was eating noodle.

In short, coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) are more flexible than subordinating conjunctions.

Hope it helps a bit.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 01:51
a)some showing increased flexibility, while others did not (showing increased flexibility) --- Not parallel and awkward

b)with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not (showing increased flexibility) --- Not parallel and awkward

c) with some showing an increase in flexibility and others did not (showing increased flexibility) --- Not parallel and awkward

d)some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not. (showing an increase in flexibility) > this correct but meaning changed

>Intended meaning --- some people have shown increased flexibility { Let's say flexibility increased by 50%) and others haven't

>Distorted meaning in option "D" --- some people are showing an increase {ongoing} but this is not the intended meaning

e)with some showing increased flexibility and others not. (some showing increased flexibility)

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 23:03
I think we are entirely talking about a meaning and parallelism problem here. My logic in general:
(1) You cannot use the structure "some showing...others did not" as it is not parallel. Further, "showing" plays a slightly different role vs. what a verb would normally have. So IMO, you canno refer to the same action with any form of "do" after it. => (A), (B) and (C) are out.
(2) Additionally, in all the options without "with" you are basically left with a very complex sentence, in which the last part lacks a verb. I would therefore prefer answer choices that have "with" so that the logical connection between the two parts of the sentence is clearer. => (D) is out and we are left with (E).

The only thing that still worries me a bit is the comma before the underlined part.

manugmat123 wrote:

a) some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

b) with some showing increased flexibility, while others did not.

d) some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not.

e) with some showing increased flexibility and others not.

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 07:33
pqhai wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Hi vibhav.

In this question, WHILE is "subordinating conjunction". Subordinating conjunctions join two clauses together. Thus, if you use "while", two clauses are required to make a sentence grammatical. Otherwise, you should use "coordinating conjunction" (and, but, so, yet, for...). Thus E is better than D, and is correct.

Hope it's clear.

Can you elaborate bit more why E is better.

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to acupuncture, some showing an increase in flexibility, while others not [showing increase in flexibility]

It has clause on both side, isn't it ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to &nbs [#permalink] 08 Aug 2015, 07:33

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 

Even within the same study, people responded quite differently to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap