It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 173

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 13

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2009, 23:55
C for me as well.

More of a direct causation vs A.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 414

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 14

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2009, 02:12
OA is C....

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 221

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2009, 12:01
C.
_________________

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2009, 17:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston’s elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.
B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.
C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.
D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.
E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston’s population now than they did ten years ago.

Can somebody explain ?

Source : Ivy gmat

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 218

Kudos [?]: 90 [2] , given: 6

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2009, 10:16
2
This post received
KUDOS
I think it should be C.

The nurse observes that a greater proportion of the students are being sent to her to be treated for allergic reactions. She concludes that either students are more sensitive to the chemicals or that they are being exposed to more of the chemicals. The questions asks on what assumption her argument depends.

C. States states that children are not more likely to be sent to the nurse for allergic reactions to chemicals tens years ago. To draw her conclusion, she must assumes that children are just as likely to be sent to the nurse now as they were before. If children are most likely to be sent to the nurse than before, then the increase can be a result of that, and not exposure to more chemicals or increased sensitivity.

Kudos [?]: 90 [2] , given: 6

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 62

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 2

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2009, 13:52
seluka wrote:
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Give away: cleaners or pesticides causes allergic/proportion of schoolchildren who are allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years/ conclusion: increase because either 1.) expose to greater quantity or 2.) children are more sensitive.
A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston’s elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years. -->#of nurses is irrelevant
B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances. -->other substances are irrelevant
C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. --> suggests that children are sent NOT because of those above 2 reasons,for example, NOT BECAUSE the school nurse is more accessible, NOT BECAUSE parents aware more of the allegic and told childeren to go to school nurse. (Assumption Q: alternative to the conclusion type.)
D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston. -->weakening
E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston’s population now than they did ten years ago. --> children proportion to population is irrelevant
Can somebody explain ?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


My ans is C
_________________

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2009, 18:54
My answer is C.

The argument is based on the number of students visiting the nurses over the 10 year span.
For a conclusion this number needs to be constant all throughout. Therefore the argument is based on this assumption
_________________

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2010, 12:29
I am still not convinced why A cannot be the answer ..... Any inputs ???

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 203

Kudos [?]: 126 [1] , given: 1

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2010, 12:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
C - as if 10 years ago, not all students who have allergic reactions are sent ten years ago but they are sent now, then the argument fails.

boros2203 wrote:
I am still not convinced why A cannot be the answer ..... Any inputs ???

statement says ... Elementary school nurses .... sent to them for treatment
Here we are not talking about the per nurse basis but the total students sent to all the nurses. proportion represents the student proportion and not the number per nurse.

Kudos [?]: 126 [1] , given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 595

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2010, 02:42
I fell for D

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 412

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2010, 16:23
me to , I went with D

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2010, 01:46
ANS : C.

the proportion of students sent to nurses increased over the past ten yrs,conclusion : either the students are exposed to more chemical,or they hv become more sensitive.

proportion incresed : 10 yrs b4 1/3 was sent ,now it may 2/3 of all students sent to nurses.
no of nusrses doesnt matter.wat if 10 yrs b4,only small proportion of the "infected" kids were going to nurses,and today,most of the "infected" kids are going to nurses....in this scenario,the conclusion will fail.... increased
proportion is because more infected kids are visiting to the nurses, the so the correct ans choice will make sure that this is nt the case.
and its stated in option c.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1483

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 6

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2010, 12:23
I dont know why but I am still confused with the OA.

The stem says that proportion of children sent NOW for treatment has increased significantly than the proportion of children sent 10 years ago. Therefore, either schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to chemicals than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

When the stem is saying that children sent NOW (for treatment) has increased significantly than how are we assuming that children are no more likely to be sent to school nurse NOW than they were 10 years ago.

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2010, 13:44
we are assuming this "option C" to make the conclusion to be true.
negate the option c,then the conclusion will nt hold anymore !!

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2010, 00:27
C
Not A because of proportion mentioned in the text. The nurses seem to be counting numbers having allergies versus all children. Moreover, if you logically negate C, the conclusion won't hold.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Location: Ukraine
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 10:00
Why E cannot be the right answer?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:28
fruit wrote:
Why E cannot be the right answer?


E and what the question states are different.

What the question states is the proportion of schoolchildren. In math, it is "number of schoolchildren sent to nurses for allergies" to "total number of schoolchildren"

whereas E is different since the proportion is "number of schoolchildren" to "total population of the school". This proportion does not have anything to do with the argument.

Therefore, E cannot be the answer.


I think C is the correct one. If C fails, it means now children are more likely to be sent to nurses (for example because the school is more sensitive to health problems of its students). Then we cannot link the rise of proportion to either of the two reasons concluded in the argument, higher quantities of chemical and children being more sensitive.

Hope I have explained clearly.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Location: Ukraine
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:37
hao922 wrote:
fruit wrote:
Why E cannot be the right answer?


E and what the question states are different.

What the question states is the proportion of schoolchildren. In math, it is "number of schoolchildren sent to nurses for allergies" to "total number of schoolchildren"

whereas E is different since the proportion is "number of schoolchildren" to "total population of the school". This proportion does not have anything to do with the argument.

Therefore, E cannot be the answer.


I think C is the correct one. If C fails, it means now children are more likely to be sent to nurses (for example because the school is more sensitive to health problems of its students). Then we cannot link the rise of proportion to either of the two reasons concluded in the argument, higher quantities of chemical and children being more sensitive.

Hope I have explained clearly.


yeah, that is right. But I cannot understand why C.
The argument says "has increased significantly over the past ten year", and C I means that kids do not visit school nurses any more, so how can be determined that the number of allergic reactions increase?
how can we bind this two facts?
Or I misunderstand the meaning of some phrases?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 14

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
fruit wrote:
hao922 wrote:
fruit wrote:
Why E cannot be the right answer?


E and what the question states are different.

What the question states is the proportion of schoolchildren. In math, it is "number of schoolchildren sent to nurses for allergies" to "total number of schoolchildren"

whereas E is different since the proportion is "number of schoolchildren" to "total population of the school". This proportion does not have anything to do with the argument.

Therefore, E cannot be the answer.


I think C is the correct one. If C fails, it means now children are more likely to be sent to nurses (for example because the school is more sensitive to health problems of its students). Then we cannot link the rise of proportion to either of the two reasons concluded in the argument, higher quantities of chemical and children being more sensitive.

Hope I have explained clearly.


yeah, that is right. But I cannot understand why C.
The argument says "has increased significantly over the past ten year", and C I means that kids do not visit school nurses any more, so how can be determined that the number of allergic reactions increase?
how can we bind this two facts?
Or I misunderstand the meaning of some phrases?



C does not mean "kids do not visit school nurses any more"
Instead, it means "Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are no more ( = EQUALLY )likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago".

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 14

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Location: Ukraine
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:59
thanks a lot! kudos =)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 13:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Studies in elementary schools have shown that Skywalker18 6 27 Jun 2017, 17:10
10 The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch Harley1980 12 22 Aug 2016, 02:11
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic A certain eye infection has been linked to exposure to a Vercules 18 13 Aug 2017, 23:15
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although elementary school children have traditionally prakash111687 7 27 Jun 2017, 13:44
12 The principal of a public elementary school complained bschool83 9 11 Jul 2015, 04:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.