Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [35]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distin [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO - B

A) Babylonians "are known to douse" is incorrect as this part of the sentence then becomes present tense. Babylonians dont douse oil on lettuce now. They did it once upon a time.
B) "are known to have doused" - portrays the right meaning - we know now that Babylonians doused oil on lettuce during their period.
c) "Were knowing to douse" - Changes the meaning - as if dousing is an art mastered by Babylonians.
d) "Have been known to douse" - alters the meaning and makes it out of sync with first part of the sentence - as if Babylonians have been dousing oil on lettuce until now.
e) the word "who" incorrectly used. It could mean that the "Romans ate greens mixed with dressing and Babylonians" - which is ridiculous
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.68
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distin [#permalink]
Kudos
Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distinguished history: food historians claim that the Romans ate mixed greens with dressing, and the Babylonians are known to douse lettuce with oil and vinegar more than 2,000 years ago.

The romans ate mixed greens with dressing, and the Babylonians..... These two clause must be parallel.

The baby-loins are known to douse lettuce with oil and vinegar for more than 2000 years. ‘More than 2000 years’ - this indicates that present perfect must be use here, since it’s the event that happened in the past but still continued to happen.

So the only choice with present perfect tense is choice D. ‘Have been known to douse’

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B

Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distinguished history: food historians claim that the Romans ate mixed greens with dressing, and the Babylonians are known to douse lettuce with oil and vinegar more than 2,000 years ago.

A) are known to douse
They dont still douse, hence use of present tense is incorrect

B) are known to have doused
Looks ok

C) were knowing to douse
"were knowing to" is unidiomatic

D) have been known to douse
They are still known to douse, present perfect is incorrect

E) who were known to douse
They are still known to douse, past tense is incorrect
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
A is incorrect because it uses the simple present tense suggesting that action is taking place at the moment, as if we know the Babylonians currently to douse lettuce in oil and vinegar.

B is incorrect. “Are known” suggests we know them in present day, which is not the case.

C is awkward. The verb know is one of a few verbs that doesn’t have a verb-Ing form. Hence C is incorrect.

E is incorrect because of the presence of “who”. Take who out and E would be correct. The presence of “who” in this case signals an essential modifier, implying that we should expect the main action or verb for Babylonians to follow.

D is correct in my view. “Have been known” a present perfect tense depicts an action which took place in the past with its effects still relevant today.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Kudos
ANS- B
CONCEPTS TESTED: TENSES, MEANING
A) are known to douse - We don't need present tense here because we are talking about an activity which was conducted in the past

C) were knowing to douse - alters meaning

D) have been known to douse - wrong tense, we need past tense

E) who were known to douse - alters meaning as if the Romans ate Babylonians
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 164: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) are known to douse -

C) were knowing to douse

C) were knowing to douse - Were knowing? leave tense - not even sure this construction is correct.

D) have been known to douse - Wrong tense - They are still known

E) who were known to douse - Wrong tense - They are still known

Between A and B - Option B is correct <But what is the subject for " have doused"? in option B>
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distin [#permalink]
Kudos

--
Clearly, the problem is testing tenses. We have a time indicator, 2,000 years ago, so the sentence should refer to the past. In other words, Babylonians were eating salads and using salad dressing a long time ago, and their way of eating has come to our days. So we need a Present Perfect tense.

A) are known to douse

Incorrect. We need Present Perfect.

Maybe?

C) were knowing to douse

Incorrect. They knew for some period of time and then what? Stopped knowing? The meaning is ruined here.

Maybe?

Incorrect. The modifier "who" is not needed here.
--

Now let's decide between B and D. Let's plug both options in the sentence and think about the meaning.

Option B says that Bs are known to have done something in the past.

Option D says that Bs have been known to do something a long time ago, and they still do it these days?..

Answer B is correct, and generis provides a very thorough explanation of Passive Reporting Structure which is tested in this question.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 14 Sep 2019, 08:12.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 15 Sep 2019, 18:02, edited 5 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos

A) are known to douse as the time sequence is mentioned hence simple tense cannot be used

B) are known to have doused changes the meaning by placing the have before the word doused

C) were knowing to douse the use of knowing to douse also simple tense were is incorrect here

D) have been known to douse: Correct as the babylonians had used XXX... for more than 2000 years and action started in the past and continues in the present.

E) who were known to douse The use of relative pronoun who is not required

IMO D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
I chose (B) even though I would prefer a straightforward answer of "were known to douse".

"(M)ore than 2,000 years ago" strongly indicates we should indicate some past action. Keep this in mind.

(A) There is no indication of past action.
(B) By using "have doused", it convey the concept that the action took place in the past. Keep for now.
(C) This one can be easily eliminated: It should be "were known to douse"; alternatively, the progressive tense is not warranted.
(D) This option does convey some past action. Keep for now.
(E) This one can be easily eliminated because it renders a fragment.

Now, which one to choose between (B) and (D)?

I ultimately chose (B) because I do not think D, by using present perfect tense, is compatible with "more than 2,000 years ago." But I may be wrong. :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos

The meaning of the author of the sentence wants to convey is that the Babylonians started dousing their lettuce with O and V more than 2000 years ago and they still do it.

So, the question is how we describe the past event: to douse --> means they started but they do it now is not warranted whereas to have doused--> means they started it 2000 years ago and still do it.

IMHO B.

Arvind42 To answer your question to have doused is a prepositional phrase and a verb never resides inside a prepositional phrase.

S-->The B's V--> are known
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Far from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distin [#permalink]
Kudos
jFar from being a modern dietary invention, salad has a long and distinguished history: food historians claim that the Romans ate mixed greens with dressing, and the Babylonians are known to douse lettuce with oil and vinegar more than 2,000 years ago.

concepts tested
ACtive past : you seem to have forgotten your jacket ( to have + PP). used to give order of events ie have forgotten happened in the past, seem is something happening now
passive past: i am happy to have been invited ( to have been + PP) : passive tone to active of sequencing of event. i am invited by somebody early , for that i am happy now

A) are known to douse - ( this is wrong as it gives present tense, ie as universal fact or truth. then we dont need are known at all, we can direcly use bablylonian douse lettuce).

B) are known to have doused ( wrong grammer passive past needs have been )

C) were knowing to douse ( wrong grammer passsive continuous tense is wrong, its not happening now . and verb ing and to verb wont co exist )

D) have been known to douse( yeah grammatically correct, they are known which still exists from the past . so present perfect. . CORRECT CHOICE.. but not convinced much with this option also if for is used : for more than 2000 years then it might sound better. But generis please do explain in OA is present perfect applicable for just the fact of known or for dousing.. i am confused here. PLUS AS USUAL AS TYPICAL generis . Thanks for teaching this concept (active past infinitive and passive past infinitive) in english otherwise i might not have learned this in my life. )

E) who were known to douse( if babylonians are subject of new IC then it misses a verb for that. so run on or if it is non ic it gives wrong meaning of romans eat babylonians also.. hahahaha cannibals that too xenophobic cannibals.. hahahahha. wrong )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I am not able to understand why option A is wrong. i had a doubt between "A" and "B". Please explain
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
RichiSharma wrote:
I am not able to understand why option A is wrong. i had a doubt between "A" and "B". Please explain

RichiSharma , I'm almost finished writing the official explanation. I'll post it soon. :)

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arvind42 wrote:
generis wrote:
[textarea]

Project SC Butler: Day 164: Sentence Correction (SC2)

C) were knowing to douse - Were knowing? leave tense - not even sure this construction is correct.

D) have been known to douse - Wrong tense - They are still known

E) who were known to douse - Wrong tense - They are still known

Between A and B - Option B is correct <But what is the subject for " have doused"? in option B>

Arvind42 , the subject is the Babylonians.
The Babylonians are known to have doused lettuce with vinegar and oil.
Are known = the reporting verb
To have doused = PRESENT PERFECT INFINITIVE PHRASE.
This thing is a verb phrase, not a prepositional phrase.
The event is written in the present perfect infinitive, which is consistent with the structure of passive reporting verbs.

(Just below I describe the way that we can tell the difference between an infinitive phrase and a prepositional phrase. HAVE is a verb. TO HAVE is an infinitive. TO HAVE DOUSED is a present perfect infinitive verb.

Even if we get confused about the grammar rules, we can step back and ask, "Who doused the lettuce?" The Babylonians. :)

If a phrase begins with TO but has no verb, it is a prepositional phrase.
If a phrase begins with TO and contains a verb (have is a verb), it is an infinitive phrase.
Although both begin with TO, they are not the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi generis, as always, thank you very much for the excellent explanation. Few things

1. Do you mind providing a few OG questions in which a similar structure is tested? On top of my head I do not remember seeing it before. Well, at the very least I will pay more attention from now on :)

2. This statement might be a bit offensive to some, but I reckon that the most important piece of information in this question and its analysis is not the Passive Reporting Structure... It is the part that highlights the "fragment trap" in the analysis of option E :)

3. If one of the answer choices was "Babylonians were known to douse", would it be correct?

Thank you.

P.S. Seems like the author is from Hungary :blushing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
A. are known to douse -

Incorrectly used present tense although the event/activity occurred in the past

B. I believe this one is without any errors!

C. were knowing to douse - distort meaning

D. have been known to douse - incorrect tense

E. who were known to douse - awkard, don't make sense

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts