Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Feedback : e-GMAT does NOT offer returns [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Mohit,

First of all, I would like to apologize. For the record, you did write to me and I was unable to respond to. Your’s is a unique case, something that does not happen very frequently. Nevertheless, the lack of response is my mistake and I would like to owe the same. You have been courteous and cordial in your communications with us and I should have been more responsive.

Refund policy

Now let’s come to the issue of the refund policy. We do have a hassle free refund policy and we do stand by our word. Let me re-iterate the policy for you:

Quote:
We are a small company and we like to keep things simple. If you don’t like our course, let us know and we will refund the money to you, as long as you have attempted less than 33% of our course. We are reasonable people and don’t want your money if you don’t like our product.

The purpose of the policy is clearly underlined – We will be happy to refund your money provided you don’t like our course. The same purpose is re-iterated in the last line “We don’t want your money if you don’t like our product”. Like most product companies who put in considerable effort in their products, we stand by the quality of our products. We only want those customers who love our products.

Note, this is different from saying – if three months after purchasing the course, you decide that you don’t want to do MBA, we will refund your money. Note, the reason to refund in this case would not be the quality of the course but your decision to not pursue an MBA.

No product company can offer a refund "3 months" after the purchase because the customer decided not to use the product

Every company in the world, whether product based or service based, is governed by financial laws. By virtue of these laws, we have to recognize revenue, record profits, and pay taxes on the same. We do this thirty days after the purchase. Now we do have a category for product defects; i.e. for cases in which our customers don’t achieve the guaranteed score improvement and we account for these upfront. However, we cannot account for customers who want to return the product because they decided to not pursue the MBA. Why – because I have no way to knowing whether you are still pursuing an MBA or not.

If product companies start providing refunds because people decided that they did not want to use their products because of personal reasons then they will never be able to recognize revenue. If they do recognize revenue, they will be in a process of adjusting their books, constantly. Imagine, Canon going to IRS (Income tax department in US) and saying we want our taxes back on the 3 million of the 40 million cameras that we sold last month because 6 months after the purchase, our customers have decided they no longer want to shoot pictures. Similarly, imagine the scenario in which Canon goes to its employees and says that sorry your bonus is no longer valid because guess what – folks who purchased the product 6 months back do not want it now. You work for a company. Imagine this happening to you as an employee.

Let other companies chime in

There are many companies present on this forum. I am sure that others will agree to the same. GMAT Club itself is a company that sells GMAT Club tests. I am certain that if you try and return GMAT Club tests 3 months after the purchase, they would say something similar.

Does it mean we do not honor returns?

Absolutely not!! We do honor returns but for the right reasons. If you don’t like our course, let us know within a couple of weeks and we will provide a refund. If you buy the course and change your mind within a week of your purchase, we will be happy to refund your money – why because we and most of the world that sells direct to consumers takes 30 days to recognize revenue. If you are eligible for the 4 point score improvement guarantee and you don’t achieve a score improvement, we refund your money. However, your case does not apply to any of the above. The matter here is not of the INR 17K that you paid us but of subsequent potential financial implications in terms of revenue and profit recognition that it would have on us.

Just last week, one of our customers purchased Verbal online and later wrote that he only intended to purchase Sentence Correction course. Within the hour, we notified him that we will process the refund ASAP. Similarly, there were cases in which a handful of our customers (3/600 customers) put in the effort but did not achieve the guaranteed score improvement and we did issue them a refund - no questions asked.

Summing it up

Overall, I hope the above helps you understand that
1. Your request does not fall under the purview of the refund policy. The refund policy is designed for and clearly states “if you don’t like the course”. This does not apply in your case.
2. 99% of product companies cannot issue refunds 3 months after the purchase if the customer decides that he/she does not want to use the product because he/she wants to do something else.
3. We do provide refunds if a) you don’t like our product b) if you don’t achieve the guaranteed score improvement.

Let me know if I can answer any other question.

Regards,
Rajat Sadana
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I feel for u mohit; paying the price for a product that you dint use. However, e-gmat is right in what they did. E-gmat return policy shows nothing but the confidence in the product quality. Probably you could request e-gmat for an extension of the course and manage your personal engagements to come out as a winner in the situation. Negotiation would work for you as E-gmat would also get a chance to showcase their customer friendly stance.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Let me pitch in here. I am probably one of the oldest customer of e-gmat, and would love to share my experience.

Long time back, I booked my exam and was about to give my exam but because of some urgency, I need to take up some other assignments and have to schedule my GMAT again and I scheduled it to 1.5 months later. My e-gmat subscriptions were about to end, and on discussing my case with them, e-gmat extended my subscription without any additional cost. I have a few other good experiences as well with this company.

Per my experience and looking at the content, I can confidently say that these are real genuine guys, and I cannot buy the fact that e-gmat refused to refund the money.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
No doubt that E-gmat is empathetic to its customers. And i believe they will continue to be so :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Just to add, E-gmat has also accepted my temporary suspension request. after using 3 months, i found that i am not free enough to use it now, so requested them to suspend it permanently and they replied me immediately positively..

THANK YOU E-GMAT :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thanks E-gmat for extending my SC+OG course for a month.

-Manish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just to add, E-gmat has also accepted my temporary suspension request. after using 3 months, i found that i am not free enough to use it now, so requested them to suspend it permanently and they replied me immediately positively..

THANK YOU E-G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi!! Due to hell lot personal issues,I was not able to complete course on time so thus requested E-Gmat to extend for 1 month to complete all my remaining course.Thanks to E-Gmat that they gave me 1 month to complete the course.But see how unfortunate i am .During this one month i fell sick with DENGUE Fever and again facing the same issue :-(
GMAT Club Bot